Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

Default Bathroom painting help please

On 1 May 2007 20:26:00 -0700, Joe wrote:

Remi wrote:

snip

Mildew isn't the problem. It's the paint bubbling and peeling.

Removing the drywall isn't an option -- too much work and too expensive . I
know how to paint, but I'd have to hire someone to remove the drywall and
install new cement board.

snip

Any suggestions?

Your problem is the drywall, so being in denial about it won't solve
the problem. First of all, drywall work isn't any harder than
painting. Secondly, you probably have the wrong kind of drywall over
the shower. It should have been green board. Cement board is nice, but
may be overkill. Just put up the water resistant green board or
similar, use a setting type mud and fiberglass tape, sand smooth and
paint and enjoy the result. Get some quotes on the work if you're too
busy to DIY and IMO you'll find it isn't all that pricey. Good luck.

Joe

Amen Brother..

This works.. I've done it in both my bathrooms..

Cemet board on the walls.. Green board on the ceilings..