Posted to alt.home.repair
Al Bundy Al Bundy is offline

Default Bathroom painting help please

"Remi" wrote in
news:hfPZh.151225$6m4.123066@pd7urf1no:

Thanks for your suggestions. Here are answers to your questions:

Yes I removed all of the previous paint. I used an all purpose Behr
primer. I used Behr latex paint.

Yes the fan is working fine. It's a brand new Panasonic 110 cfm fan --
the room isn't that big so the fan is plenty.

Mildew isn't the problem. It's the paint bubbling and peeling.

Removing the drywall isn't an option -- too much work and too
expensive . I know how to paint, but I'd have to hire someone to
remove the drywall and install new cement board.

"Remi" wrote in message
I have a bathroom in my basement. There are no windows in the
bathroom, but I have a 110 cfm fan. I have sanded, primed and painted
the drywall ceiling above the shower 3 times and each time the paint
has cracked and peeled. Any suggestions?

First...just for the heck of it, have you checked the fan exhaust to make
sure it is venting out of the bathroom? You know, like maybe some
birds/animals have the pipe blocked.

Have you tried using OIL BASE primer with latex over. Or better yet oil
base primer & paint? That is how you seal a wall that has had wallpaper
painted over. The latex paint bubbles if it's not over oil base.

Just a thought. See if others think this may be a good approach.