Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Lack of hot water

Looking for other suggestions...

It's a gas water heater. City water supply. Usually, my morning
shower lacks enough hot water...it'll get tepid after a few minutes
where I have to shut of the cold completely. A couple of times I even
shut off the cold before I hop in and it's still only barely warm.

Nobody else is using the water and there isn't any timer or anything.

I have drained the hot water tank. And, yesterday, I thought I'd
replace the dip tube, but I pulled the old one out and it was in
perfect shape.

So I'm down to a bad thermostat?

Mike

Posted to alt.home.repair

You must not have read my post. I pulled the dip tube and it's in
perfect shape.

Mike

Posted to alt.home.repair

The problem is obviously with the water heater. As I said sometimes
the water isn't even hot. That's not a shower problem.

Mike

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 29, 1:59�pm, wrote:
The problem is obviously with the water heater. *As I said sometimes
the water isn't even hot. *That's not a shower problem.

Mike

how old is the tank? how many BTU, how many gallons? sounds like it
needs a new thermostat, but they are pricey and a PIA to install.

has the tank been ok in the past or was lack of hot water always a
problem?

Posted to alt.home.repair

You sent mixed signals Mike. YOU SAID:
" Usually, my morning
shower lacks enough hot water...it'll get tepid after a few minutes
where I have to shut of the cold completely." That couldn't happen
unless your shower is draining that tank.

Let's assume a 40 gallon water heater. It evidently starts out hot,
then you say it gets tepid after a few minutes. Otherwise it couln't
GET TEPID if it wasn't hot to start with. But then it gets cold. So
you obviously drained the water tank.

So you think the water in that 40 gallon tank contains HOT, TEPID and
COLD water?

I don't think so. When I mix Hot water and cold water, all the
water becomes tepid.

But anyway, the thermocouple controls the temperature and if you
crank it up, it should be close to boiling with the gas burner making
lots of heat and noise and there should be no mistake about whether it
is working or not.

Like I say, Mike you are sending completely different messages. Like
there was two Mikes or two water heaters. It's time to do a little
research and maybe take some notes.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
oups.com...
The problem is obviously with the water heater. As I said sometimes
the water isn't even hot. That's not a shower problem.

Is the water "Hot" to start? When you shower does the burner turn on and run
until the water is hot again?

Is the cold water going into the pipe with the dip tube?

How long does it take your shower to fill a 5 gallon bucket?

What is the setting on the thermostat? Have you tried setting it hotter?

Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

I didn't think it was confusing, but okay...

1. Most of the time I can't get through an entire shower (10 min.)
with enough hot water.
2. A couple of times it wasn't even hot to start out with (!!)...that
is, I had to shower with the cold turned off from the start.
3. I *think* the problem has become more frequent.
4. 40 gal., 40,000 BTU gas water heater. 5 years old? Just a
guess...bought the house 1.5 years ago. Manuf. date is 1996. Can't
see the inside, but the outside looks mint.
5. Drained the tank last week....got some sediment and some slimey
blobs.
6. Pulled the dip tube yesterday and verified it's in perfect shape.
7. Thermostat is set on the tick after "HOT". No numbers.
8. I'm 5'11", I like long walks on the beach, Frank Sinatra songs...

Mike

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 29, 5:48�pm, wrote:
I didn't think it was confusing, but okay...

1. Most of the time I can't get through an entire shower (10 min.)
with enough hot water.
2. A couple of times it wasn't even hot to start out with (!!)...that
is, I had to shower with the cold turned off from the start.
3. I *think* the problem has become more frequent.
4. 40 gal., 40,000 BTU gas water heater. *5 years old? *Just a
guess...bought the house 1.5 years ago. *Manuf. date is 1996. *Can't
see the inside, but the outside looks mint.
5. Drained the tank last week....got some sediment and some slimey
blobs.
6. Pulled the dip tube yesterday and verified it's in perfect shape.
7. Thermostat is set on the tick after "HOT". *No numbers.
8. I'm 5'11", I like long walks on the beach, Frank Sinatra songs...

Mike

tanks sludge up after awhile, manuf date 1996 today is 2007, tank over
10 years old

buy at 75,000 BTU tank 50 or 75 gallons. this will more than double
your hot water capacity while costing just a little more

the new tanks are better enery efficency and so you will save on gas

congrats your a new home owner, stuff breaks continiously. at least
hot water tanks are fairly cheap and highly reliable

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
oups.com...
Looking for other suggestions...

It's a gas water heater. City water supply. Usually, my morning
shower lacks enough hot water...it'll get tepid after a few minutes
where I have to shut of the cold completely. A couple of times I even
shut off the cold before I hop in and it's still only barely warm.

Nobody else is using the water and there isn't any timer or anything.

I have drained the hot water tank. And, yesterday, I thought I'd
replace the dip tube, but I pulled the old one out and it was in
perfect shape.

So I'm down to a bad thermostat?

Mike

My water heater is electric, but I had gone thru the same kind of checking.

Thermostat was the culprit. Easy replacement for electric. No clue about gas
fired.

Charlie

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 29, 7:38�pm, "Charlie Bress" wrote:
wrote in message

oups.com...

Looking for other suggestions...

It's a gas water heater. *City water supply. *Usually, my morning
shower lacks enough hot water...it'll get tepid after a few minutes
where I have to shut of the cold completely. *A couple of times I even
shut off the cold before I hop in and it's still only barely warm.

Nobody else is using the water and there isn't any timer or anything.

I have drained the hot water tank. *And, yesterday, I thought I'd
replace the dip tube, but I pulled the old one out and it was in
perfect shape.

So I'm down to a bad thermostat?

Mike

My water heater is electric, but I had gone thru the same kind of checking.

Thermostat was the culprit. Easy replacement for electric. No clue about gas
fired.

Charlie- Hide quoted text -

tank is 10 years old, thats pretty old for a gas tank. electrics
usually last longer.

anyhow thermostat does screw in, but with a 10 year old tank that had
sediment best to buy a new tank.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I've seen 10 year old tanks cut open to make a bbq grill and found
over an inch thick layer of sediment buildup on the bottom where the
heat was supposed to be making the water hot. I can understand why it
was thrown out.

I used to have showers getting cold on me, but I bought a new shower
nozzle with multiple positions and it solved my problem. It wasn't a
restrictor per se, but when using the medium spray, the water heater
could keep up with my use and I could take a 2 hour or 4 hour shower
if I wanted.

You will feel really good about your water heater when you get a new
one. It will be twice as efficient and you will have all the hot
water you could ever use.

On 29 Apr 2007 14:48:00 -0700, wrote:

I didn't think it was confusing, but okay...

1. Most of the time I can't get through an entire shower (10 min.)
with enough hot water.
2. A couple of times it wasn't even hot to start out with (!!)...that
is, I had to shower with the cold turned off from the start.
3. I *think* the problem has become more frequent.
4. 40 gal., 40,000 BTU gas water heater. 5 years old? Just a
guess...bought the house 1.5 years ago. Manuf. date is 1996. Can't
see the inside, but the outside looks mint.
5. Drained the tank last week....got some sediment and some slimey
blobs.
6. Pulled the dip tube yesterday and verified it's in perfect shape.
7. Thermostat is set on the tick after "HOT". No numbers.
8. I'm 5'11", I like long walks on the beach, Frank Sinatra songs...

Mike

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
oups.com...
I didn't think it was confusing, but okay...

4. 40 gal., 40,000 BTU gas water heater. 5 years old? Just a
guess...bought the house 1.5 years ago. Manuf. date is 1996. Can't
see the inside, but the outside looks mint.

You say the "Manuf. date is 1996" and it's 5 years old?

Have you checked the hot and cold water pipes leading into the tank? As you
face the thermostat, the hot is on the left if the connections are on the
top of the unit. ("hot" may even be stamped into the top of the heater near
that port) After running the shower for a while, is that pipe hot? It
should be. If not, the hot & cold connections could be backwards...

...or they're hooked up correctly, and the thermostat is bad. They're
cheaper than a new water heater and easier to install, so I'd try that
first.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 29, 11:54�pm, "Bob M." wrote:
wrote in message

oups.com...

I didn't think it was confusing, but okay...

4. 40 gal., 40,000 BTU gas water heater. *5 years old? *Just a
guess...bought the house 1.5 years ago. *Manuf. date is 1996. *Can't
see the inside, but the outside looks mint.

You say the "Manuf. date is 1996" and it's 5 years old?

Have you checked the hot and cold water pipes leading into the tank? *As you
face the thermostat, the hot is on the left if the connections are on the
top of the unit. *("hot" may even be stamped into the top of the heater near
that port) *After running the shower for a while, is that pipe hot? *It
should be. If not, the hot & cold connections could be backwards...

..or they're hooked up correctly, and the thermostat is bad. *They're
cheaper than a new water heater and easier to install, so I'd try that
first.

I priced a thermostat once it was $125.00 but fortunately was covered
under warranty. Getting the old one off was a pain, you turn the
thermostat gas valve assembly, mine was so tight it nearly ripped the
assembly in pieces.

shortly thereafter the tank started leaking, and went to the garbage,
which it should have to begin with.

a tank installed locally is under 500 bucks DIY even less. assuming
the new tank lasts 10 years thats about 50 bucks a year, less than a
decent candy bar a week.

plus he can get a higher BTU burner for more hot water, is rid of the
sediment, gains efficency since new tanks are foam insulated, and can
forget about tank leak concerns or a long time.......

attempting repairs on a 10 year old tank is a waste of money and
effort.

do note his production date is likely close to install date, no one
keeps inventory for years, it costs oo much

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On 30 Apr 2007 04:08:32 -0700, "
wrote:

I priced a thermostat once it was $125.00 but fortunately was covered
under warranty. Getting the old one off was a pain, you turn the
thermostat gas valve assembly, mine was so tight it nearly ripped the
assembly in pieces.

shortly thereafter the tank started leaking, and went to the garbage,
which it should have to begin with.

I hope you saved the new thermostat you had installed. Then when the
stat broke on the new waterheater, a replacement woudl be free!

I wish I had done that with my previous electric wh. I could have
saved two electric elements and two thermostats and wouldn't have had
to buy one two months ago.

I also wish I had checked my anode to get some idea of how long it
lasts. I have a shelf above my wh so it is very hard to change the
anode anyhow, but I'd like to know anyhow. I'd feel better if last
time there was still some of it left after 12 or 14 years.
Posted to alt.home.repair

For some stupid reason, the WH I've seen, turn to the LEFT for
hotter. Why? I have little clue. It seems that since you turn
your stove burners to the right for on, the oven to the right for
hotter, you'd turn the WH to the right for hotter. But then, I
don't design or build such devices.

I am 5 foot 10 inches tall, and I don't shower with other folks.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

wrote in message
oups.com...
: I didn't think it was confusing, but okay...
:
[...]

lack of hot water - quantity and temp' mercedesjb UK diy 0 October 6th 06 11:12 PM
Old Vokéra combi, lack of hot water Tony UK diy 1 June 28th 06 09:26 AM
Hot Water pressure - or lack of it alexbartman UK diy 8 February 18th 06 12:31 PM
Hot water or lack of it spot UK diy 3 February 4th 06 11:57 AM
Hot water or lack of it spot UK diy 0 February 3rd 06 09:11 PM