Posted to alt.home.repair
Deke Deke is offline

Default Lack of hot water

On 29 Apr 2007 07:26:37 -0700, wrote:

Looking for other suggestions...

It's a gas water heater. City water supply. Usually, my morning
shower lacks enough hot water...it'll get tepid after a few minutes
where I have to shut of the cold completely. A couple of times I even
shut off the cold before I hop in and it's still only barely warm.

Nobody else is using the water and there isn't any timer or anything.

I have drained the hot water tank. And, yesterday, I thought I'd
replace the dip tube, but I pulled the old one out and it was in
perfect shape.

So I'm down to a bad thermostat?

Mike

You sent mixed signals Mike. YOU SAID:
" Usually, my morning
shower lacks enough hot water...it'll get tepid after a few minutes
where I have to shut of the cold completely." That couldn't happen
unless your shower is draining that tank.

Let's assume a 40 gallon water heater. It evidently starts out hot,
then you say it gets tepid after a few minutes. Otherwise it couln't
GET TEPID if it wasn't hot to start with. But then it gets cold. So
you obviously drained the water tank.

So you think the water in that 40 gallon tank contains HOT, TEPID and
COLD water?

I don't think so. When I mix Hot water and cold water, all the
water becomes tepid.

But anyway, the thermocouple controls the temperature and if you
crank it up, it should be close to boiling with the gas burner making
lots of heat and noise and there should be no mistake about whether it
is working or not.

Like I say, Mike you are sending completely different messages. Like
there was two Mikes or two water heaters. It's time to do a little
research and maybe take some notes.