Posted to alt.home.repair

Default need plastic fan blade

I need a plastic fan blade, approx 7inch dia with a 3.5 inch center
about .75 inch thick. I'll drill my own monthing holes for it.

background.
I need to replace the hydrostatic cooling fan in my cub cadet 383
garden tractor, part number 759-3273 and about $30 retail. I remember
seeing(somewhere online!) fans of this size for less than $10 but
cannot find the source anymore.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On Apr 20, 8:21 am, Tater wrote:
I need a plastic fan blade, approx 7inch dia with a 3.5 inch center
about .75 inch thick. I'll drill my own monthing holes for it.

background.
I need to replace the hydrostatic cooling fan in my cub cadet 383
garden tractor, part number 759-3273 and about $30 retail. I remember
seeing(somewhere online!) fans of this size for less than $10 but
cannot find the source anymore.

Doubt a $10 fan blade would be more than from a cheap air circulating
fan and wouldn't expect it to have sufficient "heft" to last for the
application. Sometimes OEM is best alternative...

Unless McMaster-Carr or JC Whitney or somebody similar, I don't know
where else to send you other than Google which I presume you've done...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 20, 12:22 pm, dpb wrote:
On Apr 20, 8:21 am, Tater wrote:

I need a plastic fan blade, approx 7inch dia with a 3.5 inch center
about .75 inch thick. I'll drill my own monthing holes for it.

Doubt a $10 fan blade would be more than from a cheap air circulating
fan and wouldn't expect it to have sufficient "heft" to last for the
application. Sometimes OEM is best alternative...

heh, that OEM is $30 for a cheap plastic air circulating fan. only
lasted a month, i've got bits and pieces all around the yard from it.

I'd love to find a metal counterpart, and will be scrounging
junkyards. I think maybe a 2cycle flywheel with fan blades might do
the trick, but i am hoping just to get something for right now, while
i am looking.

Unless McMaster-Carr or JC Whitney or somebody similar, I don't know
where else to send you other than Google which I presume you've done...

yeah, wish i could remember where on google i saw those surplus $4-10
fans they looked close, but didnt have all the measurements. next time
i'm gonna bookmark!

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On Apr 20, 1:40 pm, Tater wrote:
On Apr 20, 12:22 pm, dpb wrote:

On Apr 20, 8:21 am, Tater wrote:

[...]

If it was IH part and came from IH dealer and failed, I'd demand a
replacement. Certainly wouldn't have any problem from JD green...
There, of course, might be another source, but would have to find a
way to cross-reference it to something of same size. My little
utility 955 has plastic radiator fan, but it's far bigger than 7".

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On Apr 20, 1:40 pm, Tater wrote:
On Apr 20, 12:22 pm, dpb wrote:

On Apr 20, 8:21 am, Tater wrote:

[...]

Who built the Cadets and what age is it? I got curious and looked on
the C-IH site -- they don't have anything on the Cub except the early
ones (through '57) on the site. That's right at the time we moved
from Farmall to Case (long before Case bought IH out, of course) and
JD and so my history of red sorta' ends about then. I remember some
of the yellow and white ones in the dealership about then when in
there for parts, but seems like maybe somebody else was actually the
producer for them? Anyway, no joy in my looking other than what you
probably already have which is a $30 fan from a couple of online parts
distribution places.

Have you actually visited the local C-IH or was the one that failed
mail order? As I noted in another response, for ease and service I
deal exclusively w/ local JD dealership and while it might be a little
more, if I had a problem like such an early failure, I'd get
resolution so there's a benefit...

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On Apr 20, 2:26 pm, dpb wrote:

Who built the Cadets and what age is it? I got curious and looked on
the C-IH site -- they don't have anything on the Cub except the early

OK, I went back and searched "Cub Cadet" and I see when the www.cubcadet.com
page loads it references a MTD server -- so I gather they're now MTD
and I was barking up the wrong tree w/ C-IH (shows how old I am ).

Anyway, I poked around in their online parts/drawings files -- it
doesn't seem like the search engine is fully efficient as it never
returned the drawing package for your given model number and putting
in your part number got that particular part drawing but no cross-
reference back to the overall tractor drawings...

But, not to be daunted, I went to the general parts search and put in
"fan" in the "contains" box and found some 250+ hits which I leafed
through pretty quickly -- I found two or three other fans listed as 7"
for other applications you might want to look at as possibilities to
modify. There are also some transmission cooling fans for some later
what appear to be ZTR's I'm guessing from part prefix numbers that
look like they could be suitable if not too big...

Best I can do if they won't stand behind the one you ordered from them
-- or, if you didn't order it from them directly, if I had local
dealer/service, I'd try one more from them w/ an explanation of the
problem.

One last thing, are you sure there's not a mounting problem that
caused it to come loose and get eaten so quickly?

HTH...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 20, 1:50 pm, dpb wrote:

If it was IH part and came from IH dealer and failed, I'd demand a
replacement.

trust me, it was a case of being overused

lawn tractors are not supposed to cut 6 foot tall weeds

bought a house that was used as a rental, was left unrented for about
9 months. owner lived out of state. place looked scary. now it looks
like home.

speaking of which, tommorow night will be another pile of junk going
into the brushfire. found a fallen tree in those 6 foot weeds, big
sucker too, should burn all night.

now if it was a metal fan, i would have had to hammer the blades back
into shape.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 20, 2:26 pm, dpb wrote:
On Apr 20, 1:40 pm, Tater wrote:

Who built the Cadets and what age is it? I got curious and looked on
the C-IH site -- they don't have anything on the Cub except the early
ones (through '57) on the site. That's right at the time we moved
from Farmall to Case (long before Case bought IH out, of course) and
JD and so my history of red sorta' ends about then. I remember some
of the yellow and white ones in the dealership about then when in
there for parts, but seems like maybe somebody else was actually the
producer for them? Anyway, no joy in my looking other than what you
probably already have which is a $30 fan from a couple of online parts
distribution places.

its a cub cadet that was build just around the time MTD took over the
cub line. cant be positive as the serial number plate is worn too
badly to make out. the 383 bridged the time when MTD took over. mine
doesnt have the stock hood(it has headlights!) and is the wrong
color(cream and yellow, with black engine)

Have you actually visited the local C-IH or was the one that failed
mail order? As I noted in another response, for ease and service I
deal exclusively w/ local JD dealership and while it might be a little
more, if I had a problem like such an early failure, I'd get
resolution so there's a benefit.

yeah, was local, not the brightest bunch, as the hydro needs special
fluid and they tried to sell me generic. but with the millions of
models out there, i dont expect them to know everything.

in the other post, I said it wasnt a part failure, but massive abuse
on my end. also was some of the most fun one can have on a garden
tractor with clothes on. the sucker rides like a roller coaster when
everything goes right. got it at an auction localy for cheap, and have
been tinkering with repairs since i got it last fall. the fan and
sealing the gas tank are my last two thing i *think* i got to do on
it, until I decide to put on a loader, 3pt, and whatever else strikes
my fancy.

aside from the fan, the sucker is indestrucible.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 20, 8:58 pm, dpb wrote:
On Apr 20, 2:26 pm, dpb wrote:

One last thing, are you sure there's not a mounting problem that
caused it to come loose and get eaten so quickly?

HTH...

didnt come loose, just got abused.

I'll doubt that the other fans at MTD are any cheaper, as MTD will be
trying to get their profit. dont blame them, and hope they dont blame
me for wanting cheaper or stronger, like aluminum.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 20, 8:21 am, Tater wrote:
I need a plastic fan blade, approx 7inch dia with a 3.5 inch center
about .75 inch thick. I'll drill my own monthing holes for it.

background.
I need to replace the hydrostatic cooling fan in my cub cadet 383
garden tractor, part number 759-3273 and about $30 retail. I remember
seeing(somewhere online!) fans of this size for less than $10 but
cannot find the source anymore.

serves you right, treating that riding lawn mower like it was some
kind of brush hog, I'm amazed you even got the thing to cut, since you
didnt even sharpen the blades, or replace that worn out deck belt. not
to mention not putting any grease in the zircs as you KNEW that no one
else had in the past 5-10 years. getting 6 foot tall weeds stuck in a
plastic fan that is blocked by the mower deck, the axle, the frame
tunnel just shows how determined you are to wreck the toys you get at
such bargain prices!

now if you was smart, you would strip that whole thing down, tighten
up all the loose bits on the steering, clean the zircs, get all new
belts, replace all the fencing wire with real cotter pins, and weld up
all the holes on the mow deck, and NEVER cut any grass taller than the
bottom of the frame tunnel, you'd have that thing running for the next
30 years.

for those who think i am being to rude to tater, just look who is
replying to who

tater

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On Apr 20, 9:29 pm, Tater wrote:
On Apr 20, 8:58 pm, dpb wrote:

On Apr 20, 2:26 pm, dpb wrote:

One last thing, are you sure there's not a mounting problem that
caused it to come loose and get eaten so quickly?

HTH...

didnt come loose, just got abused.

I'll doubt that the other fans at MTD are any cheaper, as MTD will be
trying to get their profit. dont blame them, and hope they dont blame
me for wanting cheaper or stronger, like aluminum.

Well, the list for your part number was a slight bit cheaper on the
MTD site than the Google search-found place, so there wasn't a great
markdown available anyway, it appears.

One of the possible alternates I found was plastic but w/ 10 instead
of 6 blades. Alternatively, looks like the tranny cooler fans just
_might_ be metal. Certainly there were a couple that were definitely
metal (but perhaps too big, couldn't tell).

If it was indeed a case of running something into it as you say, then
the factory replacement would likely last indefinitely under normal
use so seems pretty much futile to do much otherwise. Ymmv...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 20, 9:54 pm, dpb wrote:

If it was indeed a case of running something into it as you say, then
the factory replacement would likely last indefinitely under normal
use so seems pretty much futile to do much otherwise. Ymmv...

"under normal use"

MWWHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAA

this thing has had a taste of tree sap, i dont think it'll go quietly
back to something as simple as grass

I am planning on expandign my property, there is an additional acre
i'd like to get, where the original barn and a shed were(now ruins)
that is heavily overgrown.

cripes i can hear it pining in the garage as we speak, good thing i
got locks on them doors.

anyway I would like to fix this weakest link in the chain, and see
what the next weak link will be, tehn maybe i'll stop tinkering with
it, then again........

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On Apr 20, 10:03 pm, Tater wrote:
On Apr 20, 9:54 pm, dpb wrote:

If it was indeed a case of running something into it as you say, then
the factory replacement would likely last indefinitely under normal
use so seems pretty much futile to do much otherwise. Ymmv...

"under normal use"

MWWHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAA

this thing has had a taste of tree sap, i dont think it'll go quietly
back to something as simple as grass

I am planning on expandign my property, there is an additional acre
i'd like to get, where the original barn and a shed were(now ruins)
that is heavily overgrown.

cripes i can hear it pining in the garage as we speak, good thing i
got locks on them doors.

anyway I would like to fix this weakest link in the chain, and see
what the next weak link will be, tehn maybe i'll stop tinkering with
it, then again........

It it was broken by something hitting it, seems like easiest way to
solve the problem would be to add a fan shield over it rather than
trying to find something to cobble up a different fan...

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On Apr 20, 10:03 pm, Tater wrote:
this thing has had a taste of tree sap, i dont think it'll go quietly
back to something as simple as grass

cripes i can hear it pining in the garage as we speak, good thing i
got locks on them doors.

I think perhaps you're mistaking heart-rending sobs while its
recovering from the last abuse as a wish for more...

See other reply on suggested way to solve the problem...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 21, 9:38 am, dpb wrote:
On Apr 20, 10:03 pm, Tater wrote:
... this thing has had a taste of tree sap, i dont think it'll go quietly
back to something as simple as grass

cripes i can hear it pining in the garage as we speak, good thing i
got locks on them doors.

I think perhaps you're mistaking heart-rending sobs while its
recovering from the last abuse as a wish for more...

I doubt it, some accessories for this are snowblowers, snow blades, 3
point hitches with plows and rototillers. the abuse i gave it ony
dammaged one little(overpriced) part, the rest of it showed no signs
of abuse, or even use.

See other reply on suggested way to solve the problem...

that might be a solution, would make it even more of a pain to replace
IF it gets trashed again

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On Apr 21, 4:20 pm, Tater wrote:
On Apr 21, 9:38 am, dpb wrote:

On Apr 20, 10:03 pm, Tater wrote:
... this thing has had a taste of tree sap, i dont think it'll go quietly
back to something as simple as grass

cripes i can hear it pining in the garage as we speak, good thing i
got locks on them doors.

I think perhaps you're mistaking heart-rending sobs while its
recovering from the last abuse as a wish for more...

I doubt it, some accessories for this are snowblowers, snow blades, 3
point hitches with plows and rototillers. the abuse i gave it ony
dammaged one little(overpriced) part, the rest of it showed no signs
of abuse, or even use.

See other reply on suggested way to solve the problem...

that might be a solution, would make it even more of a pain to replace
IF it gets trashed again

"You can pay me now or pay me later..."

Can't be _too_ much hassle to remove an additional 3/4 bolts holding
on a piece of screen/perforated metal wouldn't think. If it saves the
part that apparently is perfectly adequately designed unless abused,
would seem fairly straightforward choice. Ymmv, obviously...