Pamela

Default I Need A Strong Plastic Glue For My Broken AC Fan. Anyone Know...

Thank you, thank you and thank you ALL SO MUCH for your info and
feedback!! After reading your posts I'm inclined to just junk the AC. I
feel so awful about the idea of throwing away a perfectly good item only
because of one small broken plastic piece. I mean, it sounds so wasteful
to me, like taking your car to the junkyard only because it has a flat
tire. I would be more inclined to try some of your suggestions to
repair the unit, but after hearing some of you say that an old model
like that uses much more energy to run than a newer one, well that is
definitely the deciding factor in my choice to just "junk it." I had no
idea that old air conditioners were such energy hogs!! Out of
curiosity, can anyone who knows electrical usage costs give me a rough
estimate of the difference in savings of running my old 1979 7,000 btu
AC for 5 hours a day during June, July & August, versus a 2003 7,000 btu
AC??

http://community.webtv.net/Peaches_27/ACFanPic

Edwin Pawlowski

"Pamela" wrote in message

I had no
idea that old air conditioners were such energy hogs!! Out of
curiosity, can anyone who knows electrical usage costs give me a rough
estimate of the difference in savings of running my old 1979 7,000 btu
AC for 5 hours a day during June, July & August, versus a 2003 7,000 btu
AC??

New models have EER ratings, but yours is too old to find that info.

Look at the name plate for the AMP rating. multiply that by 120 to get the
watts. I looked at the spec of a new 8,000 Btu model and it will draw 7
Amps or 840 watts. If you pay 10¢ per kW/hour, it will cost you 8.4¢ per
hour when the compressor is running.

If your older model draws 12 amps, or 1440 watts, it will cost you 14.4¢ to
run for the same amount of time.
Ed

http://pages.cthome.net/edhome

202GF, A miracle glue?! toller Woodworking 55 July 7th 04 02:19 AM
Glue Up - High Anxiety charlie b Woodworking 6 June 29th 04 03:19 AM
About Hot Hide Glue Lawrence L'Hote Woodworking 1 May 9th 04 03:43 AM
Popping glue lines T. Woodworking 0 October 27th 03 05:39 AM
DVD player plastic spindle is broken Joe Electronics Repair 2 October 18th 03 07:10 AM