Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Afraid to pull out the gas stove...

I have your basic bottom of the line 10 year old gas stove (from the town
gas, not propane, dunno if it matters).

I know nothing of how these are hooked up, and I seem to remember seeing
elsewhere that they are often hooked up to the gas feed via a large copper
coiled loop so that the stove can be pulled out.

Question: Are there any worries about doing this that I should know about?
(besides not smoking a cigar at the time)

Posted to alt.home.repair

Thomas G. Marshall wrote:
I have your basic bottom of the line 10 year old gas stove (from the town
gas, not propane, dunno if it matters).

I know nothing of how these are hooked up, and I seem to remember seeing
elsewhere that they are often hooked up to the gas feed via a large copper
coiled loop so that the stove can be pulled out.

Question: Are there any worries about doing this that I should know about?
(besides not smoking a cigar at the time)

Just go slow and look behind the stove every few inches to make sure
there are no kinks that could break. If it is a copper coil see about
having it changed to an appliance connector.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Thomas G. Marshall wrote:
I have your basic bottom of the line 10 year old gas stove (from the town
gas, not propane, dunno if it matters).

I know nothing of how these are hooked up, and I seem to remember seeing
elsewhere that they are often hooked up to the gas feed via a large copper
coiled loop so that the stove can be pulled out.

Question: Are there any worries about doing this that I should know about?
(besides not smoking a cigar at the time)

More than likely, it is connected to the gas feed with CSST - Corrugated
Stainless Steel Tubing - which is probably yellow in color.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 19, 6:31 pm, willshak wrote:
Thomas G. Marshall wrote:
I have your basic bottom of the line 10 year old gas stove (from the town
gas, not propane, dunno if it matters).

I know nothing of how these are hooked up, and I seem to remember seeing
elsewhere that they are often hooked up to the gas feed via a large copper
coiled loop so that the stove can be pulled out.

Question: Are there any worries about doing this that I should know about?
(besides not smoking a cigar at the time)

More than likely, it is connected to the gas feed with CSST - Corrugated
Stainless Steel Tubing - which is probably yellow in color.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Yes, there is something you should know. That's where the a shutoff
for the gas is located. And don't assume there is one behind the
stove before you start to pull it out. Having the appropriate wrench,
if needed, to shut it off is also a good idea.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Thomas G. Marshall wrote:
I have your basic bottom of the line 10 year old gas stove (from the
town gas, not propane, dunno if it matters).

I know nothing of how these are hooked up, and I seem to remember
seeing elsewhere that they are often hooked up to the gas feed via a
large copper coiled loop so that the stove can be pulled out.

Question: Are there any worries about doing this that I should know
about? (besides not smoking a cigar at the time)

A cigar will not ignite natural gas or propane. Enjoy your smoke.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Thomas G. Marshall wrote:
I have your basic bottom of the line 10 year old gas stove (from the town
gas, not propane, dunno if it matters).

I know nothing of how these are hooked up, and I seem to remember seeing
elsewhere that they are often hooked up to the gas feed via a large copper
coiled loop so that the stove can be pulled out.

Question: Are there any worries about doing this that I should know about?
(besides not smoking a cigar at the time)

More than likely, it is connected to the gas feed with CSST - Corrugated
Stainless Steel Tubing - which is probably yellow in color.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Yes, there is something you should know. That's where the a shutoff
for the gas is located. And don't assume there is one behind the
stove before you start to pull it out. . . . .

Around here, there's a whole-house, gas shutoff at the meter, e.g.

http://lafd.org/equtils.htm

http://www.rd.com/familyhandyman/content/18226/

-Jason

Posted to alt.home.repair

According to Thomas G. Marshall . com:

I have your basic bottom of the line 10 year old gas stove (from the town
gas, not propane, dunno if it matters).

I know nothing of how these are hooked up, and I seem to remember seeing
elsewhere that they are often hooked up to the gas feed via a large copper
coiled loop so that the stove can be pulled out.

There have been changes in gas codes over the years, and without
having a professional installer on hand, it's difficult to predict
what you have. Even then.

Try to find the stove shut off, and shut it off before doing anything.

Make the assumption that they have _something_ that will permit you
to pull the stove out far enough to disconnect it. But, pull out
real slow and keep rechecking to see what it is and whether it's
getting kinked/stretched.

If you're planning on disconnecting it (and/or reconnecting a
new stove), I'd recommend getting an installer since you don't
seem to have worked with gas before.

Disconnecting seems easy, but the end really should be capped
(and you don't necessarily know what cap you need until it's
apart), and properly tested for leaks. Similarly, for reconnection,
you may have to change connectors around, _and_ also test for leaks.
--
Chris Lewis,

Posted to alt.home.repair

"HeyBub" wrote in message
Question: Are there any worries about doing this that I should know
about? (besides not smoking a cigar at the time)

A cigar will not ignite natural gas or propane. Enjoy your smoke.

I would not be this stupid unless you really want a Darwin Award.

--
Roger Shoaf

Posted to alt.home.repair

Roger Shoaf wrote:
"HeyBub" wrote in message
Question: Are there any worries about doing this that I should know
about? (besides not smoking a cigar at the time)

A cigar will not ignite natural gas or propane. Enjoy your smoke.

I would not be this stupid unless you really want a Darwin Award.

What if I didn't really want a Darwin Award? Would you be this stupid then?

Posted to alt.home.repair

HeyBub said something like:
Thomas G. Marshall wrote:
I have your basic bottom of the line 10 year old gas stove (from the
town gas, not propane, dunno if it matters).

I know nothing of how these are hooked up, and I seem to remember
seeing elsewhere that they are often hooked up to the gas feed via a
large copper coiled loop so that the stove can be pulled out.

Question: Are there any worries about doing this that I should know
about? (besides not smoking a cigar at the time)

A cigar will not ignite natural gas or propane. Enjoy your smoke.

I don't understand what you're saying: Why wouldn't burning tobacco embers
ignite either gas? Is it not burning hot enough to reach either flash
point?

Posted to alt.home.repair

HeyBub wrote:
Thomas G. Marshall wrote:
I have your basic bottom of the line 10 year old gas stove (from the
town gas, not propane, dunno if it matters).

I know nothing of how these are hooked up, and I seem to remember
seeing elsewhere that they are often hooked up to the gas feed via a
large copper coiled loop so that the stove can be pulled out.

Question: Are there any worries about doing this that I should know
about? (besides not smoking a cigar at the time)

A cigar will not ignite natural gas or propane. Enjoy your smoke.

Thats about as accurate as the claim that running a diesel engine in a
closed garage won't kill you.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Thomas G. Marshall said something like:
HeyBub said something like:
Thomas G. Marshall wrote:
I have your basic bottom of the line 10 year old gas stove (from the
town gas, not propane, dunno if it matters).

I know nothing of how these are hooked up, and I seem to remember
seeing elsewhere that they are often hooked up to the gas feed via a
large copper coiled loop so that the stove can be pulled out.

Question: Are there any worries about doing this that I should know
about? (besides not smoking a cigar at the time)

A cigar will not ignite natural gas or propane. Enjoy your smoke.

I don't understand what you're saying: Why wouldn't burning tobacco
embers ignite either gas? Is it not burning hot enough to reach
either flash point?

I used the wrong term here, by the way. Flashpoint is the temperature at
which a flammable liquid turns to gas (and can then ignite), not
specifically the temperature required for an existing gas to ignite.

In any case, without contentiousness, I do want to know what you mean.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Ook Ook is offline

HeyBub said something like:
Thomas G. Marshall wrote:
[...]

A smoldering cigarette or cigar or whatever you are smoking will usually not
ignite propane, butane, or even gasoline. You can extinguish a cigarette in
gasoline (although I very much recommend you don't try). However, as you
draw on whatever you are smoking, the air rushing across the burning
material will cause the temperature of the burning material to increase,
much like what happens when you blow on glowing embers to get them hot
enough to burn. Certain components of whatever you are smoking might get hot
enough to ignite the gas. So don't smoke when you work around gas. One deep
toke on your smoke and BOOOOOMM!

Posted to alt.home.repair

HeyBub said something like:
Thomas G. Marshall wrote:
[...]

Actually, for the record, I don't smoke. Not even tires.

No liquids burn, gasoline included. But the vapor does if there is
molecular oxygen around (and an ignition or high enough temp).

But if I put a smoldering cigarette over the gas flowing out of my stove top
burner, you're saying that it usually will not ignite? Huh....I'll have to
try that.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Ook Ook is offline

Actually, for the record, I don't smoke. Not even tires.

No liquids burn, gasoline included. But the vapor does if there is
molecular oxygen around (and an ignition or high enough temp).

But if I put a smoldering cigarette over the gas flowing out of my stove
top burner, you're saying that it usually will not ignite? Huh....I'll
have to try that.

Maybe, maybe not. Propane needs to be heated to about 900 degrees or so
before it will ignite. The flame of a match is probably about 1400 degrees
or so, so it easily ignites the gas. A smoldering cigarette can approach
1200 degrees in the center of the hot part, but is only around 400 degrees
at the outer glowing part. Gasoline ignites at about 475 degrees. We used to
throw our cigarettes in a can of gasoline all the time, back in my auto
mechanic days. It was a hoot watching the newbies react, they thought it was
going to explode. Never once did it ignite the gas. Probably lucky for us
that it didn't!

Anyone here want to stick their cigarette in the gas from their stive and
see if it lights?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ook" Ook Don't send me any freakin' spam at zootal dot com delete the
Don't send me any freakin' spam wrote in message

[...]

I already asked around for a cigarette....no one I know smokes, or otherwise
readily have a cigarette hanging around, and I refuse to buy one of the
@#$%ing things....

Gas stove Ignition: How ? Robert11 Home Repair 2 January 5th 06 10:46 PM
GE GAS STOVE MoM Home Repair 8 December 14th 05 06:49 AM
Whirlpool Gas Stove - Natural Gas Joe Grassi Home Repair 6 September 11th 05 01:56 PM
Everything That You Always Wanted To Know About Cherry - But Were Afraid To Ask Tom Watson Woodworking 8 June 6th 04 02:02 AM