Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.food.equipment
MoM

Default GE GAS STOVE

We purchased a gas stove for our new home a year ago
October. We didn't use it till we moved in September. The
store we bought it from was supposed to prepare it propane.
We didn't know it hadn't been done and ended up with an oven
full of soot. I called the store and they sent someone out
to fix the problem. They also replaced a regulator that was
faulty.

It's still filling my oven with soot and staining my outside
with it.

Any ideas what the problem could be?

MoM

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.food.equipment
TURTLE

This is Turtle.

a stove set to run on Natural gas normally as you woulf buy it in the
stores. they have to convert it to Propane to let it run on Propane. So
what happen was you fired it up using propane with Natural Gas jets
which will make it put out too much fuel and not enough of intake air
to match . Then you get soot everywhere.

Stove are set up to be run on Propane or natural gas but you have to
set the equipent up to do it on the right fuel your using.

TURTLE

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.food.equipment
Tony Hwang

TURTLE wrote:
This is Turtle.

a stove set to run on Natural gas normally as you woulf buy it in the
stores. they have to convert it to Propane to let it run on Propane. So
what happen was you fired it up using propane with Natural Gas jets
which will make it put out too much fuel and not enough of intake air
to match . Then you get soot everywhere.

Stove are set up to be run on Propane or natural gas but you have to
set the equipent up to do it on the right fuel your using.

TURTLE

Hi,
Stove as well as gas BBQ too.
Tony
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.food.equipment
Arthur

MoM wrote:
We purchased a gas stove for our new home a year ago
October. We didn't use it till we moved in September. The
store we bought it from was supposed to prepare it propane.
We didn't know it hadn't been done and ended up with an oven
full of soot. I called the store and they sent someone out
to fix the problem. They also replaced a regulator that was
faulty.

It's still filling my oven with soot and staining my outside
with it.

Any ideas what the problem could be?

MoM

The manual bundled with my GE profile oven gives detailed instructions
how to convert (replace) the jets, (as Turtle indicated). The little
jets are included in a little clip underneath the oven. The regulator
needs to be "converted" by removing a nut and changing the position of a
little pin. The air intake shutter needs to be adjusted. The level of
the "simmer" position of the burners needs to be adjusted. Do you think
the kids from the store went thru all these procedures? Can you see that
the oven burner has the proper blue flame with no significant yellow tips?
-=Art=-
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.food.equipment

MoM, depending on your stove model, there may or may not be an air
shutter to adjust as Art said but there is nearly always a regulator
change and an orifice ("jet") change to be made. The properties of
propane are much different than natural gas: propane is denser and has
a higher energy content than natural gas per volume. That means
propane is delivered to the stove at a higher pressure and squirted
through a smaller hole (the orifice/jet). The regulator change fixes
the pressure, the replacement orifice changes the hole. Chances are,
your regulator was not "faulty" but never was properly converted to
propane use. It sounds as if you still don't have the right orifice -
too big a hole means too much gas being delivered (a "rich" fuel/air
mixture) and would account for your soot. Tell your store they need to
come out and finish the job. It's tough to say if you should trust
them, though - they sound seriously incompetent.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.food.equipment

I don't think they repaired the problem. The just assumed it was the
regulator and replaced that. I had a similar probelm and the repairman
did the exact same thing. He ordered new parts rather than figure out
whas was wrong. Turned out my probelm was a small amount of wax from
the assembly process had worked its way into a jet and partialy blocked
it. I don't think this is your probelm. My suspicion is that the
regulator was perfectly fine. You might want to go to the GE web site
and download the installation manual for your model range. It shows
exactly what needs to be done to convert from gas to propane. I had to
replace the four stove top burner jets and reverse a small part that
regulates gas flow in the regulator. The second step can easily be
overlooked or done wrong as it is a very small part that goes one
direction for natural gas and the other way for propane. The only
other thing I can think it would be is the little sleve that regulates
the amount of air getting to the flame. Another simple adjustment but
it can cause problems if it isn't set correctly. The sleve is rotated
by loosening a screw and turning it one way or the other. There are
measured settings in the manual or you can adjust it by watching the
flame if you know what to look for.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.food.equipment
TURTLE

This is Turtle.

You said the gas regulater might be just fine might be true but when a
service man is told there was sooting up of the gas appliance. he will
change the regulator right off the bat for insurance reasons. then also
G/E does not pay service calls for appliances that was suppose to be
converted before it was sold. he had to call something bad to justify
the service call.

TURTLE

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.food.equipment
MoM

"TURTLE" wrote in message
oups.com...
This is Turtle.

a stove set to run on Natural gas normally as you woulf
buy it in the
stores. they have to convert it to Propane to let it run
on Propane. So
what happen was you fired it up using propane with Natural
Gas jets
which will make it put out too much fuel and not enough of
intake air
to match . Then you get soot everywhere.

Stove are set up to be run on Propane or natural gas but
you have to
set the equipent up to do it on the right fuel your using.

TURTLE

I understand this. The store was supposed to convert and
install it for propane. They didn't. We converted the
burners and tried to convert the oven but it still didn't
work. They sent out a service man who replaced the
regulator and adjusted the flame and it's still putting out
soot. Now I'm waiting again for the service man to come
again on the 20th.

MoM

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.food.equipment
TURTLE

I understand this. The store was supposed to convert and
install it for propane. They didn't. We converted the
burners and tried to convert the oven but it still didn't
work. They sent out a service man who replaced the
regulator and adjusted the flame and it's still putting out
soot. Now I'm waiting again for the service man to come
again on the 20th.

MoM

this is Turtle.

take me as a a horses butt , but i would bring it back to them to get
me another one from some one else that does not let me do without a
stove for 2 weeks.

There is the limit to bull and your being sent to it here.

TURTLE