Sacramento Dave

Default Gas stove piping requirements

wrote in message
I have a propane gas stove. The propane enters the house with copper
tubing, looks to be about 3/8" dia. The furnace is connected with
this same copper and thats the only other appliance. The problem is
that the kitchen stove gets moved for cleaning and the pipe has to
bend. This is the second time in the past few years it started to
leak where the compression fitting connects to the stove, which is
connecting to 1/2" black pipe. First, should compression fittings be
used or should they be flared? Second, would it be legal to connect
the copper to black pipe at the floor, and run a regular flexible gas
pipe to the stove, or would it be better to connect the flex pipe
right to the copper with a valve in between. (the valve right now is
right on the end of the black pipe on the stove, but the leak always
occurs before it, which means shutting off the whole house. In the
summer that is not a problem, but in winter that means no heat. (which
is why I will not let the wife move the stove in winter).

I'm not too worried about code, this is a rural farm and no one will
check. I AM worried about safety, not to mention getting tired of
repairing this thing everytime the stove is moved.

Thanks

Randy

They do make a flexible gas line's for connecting commercial kitchen
equipment. They get moved all the time for cleaning. I'm sure a good
plumbing supply or a commercial kitchen supply can point you in the right
direction. I have never done any gas lines with compression fitting, but
codes can be deferent.

Don Young

Flare fittings are generally either required or preferred for copper lines.
Compression fittings are much more likely to leak, especially if moved, and
I don't think are approved for gas lines anywhere. The shutoff should be as
close to the floor or other entry point as practical. There are semiflexible
connector lines made for gas but I don't think they are intended for flexing
after installation. There are flexible connector lines for portable
appliances but I don't know about cookstove use. As an aside, codes and
inspections are really only intended to ensure a safe installation so
installation to meet codes is very much a good thing. Regularly moving a gas
cookstove for cleaning seems to me to be very undesirable. To be reasonably
safe I think this would need rigid iron pipe to prevent any movement
upstream of the cutoff as a minimum.
Don Young
wrote in message
[...]

Don Young

To move a solidly connected stove you turn off the cutoff at the floor and
disconnect the flare connection. Move, clean, move back, re-connect, turn on
the gas and relight the pilots if necessary. All with a minimum of flexing
the gas line. I have actually never known anyone to regularly move a kitchen
range just for cleaning . Bottom line is that you need the cutoff before the
connection to be removed, and do not use compression fittings, especially if
they are going to be moved.
Don Young
wrote in message
I appreciate the reply, but how would a person move a stove with solid
pipe connected to it? We move the stove once or twice a year. That
is pretty much the norm except for some "clean freaks" that probably
move it weekly.

As for codes, this is farm country. Around here they really dont
inspect things like this. As long as I match the national code I
should be safe. I was mainly concerned about the compression
fittings. The stove came with the house and that is what they used.
Once I moved the stove I now have a leak at that fitting. I had to
shut the gas off to the whole house. Of course this time of year I
dont need the furnace so it's no biggie. Got the microwave for
cooking too.

Randy

On Sun, 24 Jul 2005 22:39:07 -0500, "Don Young"
wrote:

[...]
. ..