Posted to alt.home.repair
Chris Lewis Chris Lewis is offline

Default Afraid to pull out the gas stove...

According to Thomas G. Marshall . com:

I have your basic bottom of the line 10 year old gas stove (from the town
gas, not propane, dunno if it matters).

I know nothing of how these are hooked up, and I seem to remember seeing
elsewhere that they are often hooked up to the gas feed via a large copper
coiled loop so that the stove can be pulled out.

There have been changes in gas codes over the years, and without
having a professional installer on hand, it's difficult to predict
what you have. Even then.

Try to find the stove shut off, and shut it off before doing anything.

Make the assumption that they have _something_ that will permit you
to pull the stove out far enough to disconnect it. But, pull out
real slow and keep rechecking to see what it is and whether it's
getting kinked/stretched.

If you're planning on disconnecting it (and/or reconnecting a
new stove), I'd recommend getting an installer since you don't
seem to have worked with gas before.

Disconnecting seems easy, but the end really should be capped
(and you don't necessarily know what cap you need until it's
apart), and properly tested for leaks. Similarly, for reconnection,
you may have to change connectors around, _and_ also test for leaks.
--
Chris Lewis,