Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Is changing a leaking heating coil for an oil/forced hot air furnace a DIY project

I have an oil/hot air furnace. I have a service agreement with my local oil company where they cover
very minor repairs. Well, the repairman diagnosed a water leak coming from my heating coil. He
mentioned that I can probably get it replaced cheaper from a local plumber or even DIY.

However, I called my local plumbing supply store and they said that chaning a heating coil for an
oil burner is not a DIY project?

I only have basic plumbing and electric skills. I can weld copper pipes on my pool heater and can
replace PVC plumbing.

Are there any generic instructions for changing the heating coil, so I can see what I am getting
into. If this is not a DIY project can you please let me know?

The oil furnace is made by Weil-McLain and the heating coil is encolsed in a metal conainer that is
22 inches wide and 17 inche depth.

Thanks much,

Lawrence M. Seldin, CMC, CPC

Contributing writer to FUTURES Magazine
Author of RECRUITSOURCE PEOPLESOFT EXAM and RECRUITSOURCE SAP/R3 EXAM
Author of POWER TIPS FOR THE APPLE NEWTON and INTRODUCTION TO CSP

NOTE: To send me an email, remove TAKEOUT from my email address:

NOTE: My web home page:
www.seldin.net
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On Apr 10, 8:10 am, "Lawrence M. Seldin, CMC, CPC"
wrote:
I have an oil/hot air furnace. I have a service agreement with my local oil company where they cover
very minor repairs. Well, the repairman diagnosed a water leak coming from my heating coil. He
mentioned that I can probably get it replaced cheaper from a local plumber or even DIY.

However, I called my local plumbing supply store and they said that chaning a heating coil for an
oil burner is not a DIY project?

I only have basic plumbing and electric skills. I can weld copper pipes on my pool heater and can
replace PVC plumbing.

Are there any generic instructions for changing the heating coil, so I can see what I am getting
into. If this is not a DIY project can you please let me know?

The oil furnace is made by Weil-McLain and the heating coil is encolsed in a metal conainer that is
22 inches wide and 17 inche depth.

Unless this particular coil is made w/ compression or other threaded
fittings, I'd agree your skill set/level doesn't sound up to the
task...sounds like a job for the pro.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

task...sounds like a job for the pro.- Hide quoted text -

A water heating coil on a hot air furnace? Does this exist? If it
does, I've never seen one.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

The "water leak" is most likely condensation from the coil, which means
he is most probably leaking combustion byproducts, ie carbon monoxide,
into the house also. You would need to tear the entire furnace down to
get to the heat exchanger coil. Some coils are fastened to the heat
exchanger with screws. There is most likely a seal you would need to
replace also.
Leave it to a competent hvac contractor as you could poison your family
with carbon monoxide if you don't do it to the letter.

Posted to alt.home.repair

So, how can you get water to leak out of a hot air furnace? Did I
miss something here?

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

"Lawrence M. Seldin, CMC, CPC" wrote in
message ...
:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Tue, 10 Apr 2007 22:08:32 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

So, how can you get water to leak out of a hot air furnace?

Hot air water.

Did I
miss something here?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:
So, how can you get water to leak out of a hot air furnace? Did I
miss something here?

During combustion certain gases form. In high efficiency furnaces, the
burnt gases are routed through a coil, usually stainless steel, that is
mounted to the heat exchanger by a small purge blower. Most of the heat
is extracted from those gases and condensation forms in the coil, which
is usually drained out through a hose or pipe, into a floor drain.
If the coil develops a leak, the condensation leaves the coil through
that breach in the coil instead of being drained out the tube. If water
can escape then so can the cooled combustion gases. Carbon monoxide is
one of those gases. It can make you ill or even kill you in your sleep.

This is as technical as I need to get. If anyone has anything to add,
please do.

Oh, I have 23 1/2 years experience in the hvac field.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Didn't know you were talking about a 90 percenter. That changes a
lot. Thanks.

7 years experience as a part time installer.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

"wicked" wrote in message
: Stormin Mormon wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:
Didn't know you were talking about a 90 percenter. That changes a
lot. Thanks.

7 years experience as a part time installer.

Hooooo boy!