Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Is changing a leaking heating coil for an oil/forced hot air furnace a DIY project

On Apr 10, 10:05 am, "dpb" wrote:
On Apr 10, 8:10 am, "Lawrence M. Seldin, CMC, CPC"

wrote:
I have an oil/hot air furnace. I have a service agreement with my local oil company where they cover
very minor repairs. Well, the repairman diagnosed a water leak coming from my heating coil. He
mentioned that I can probably get it replaced cheaper from a local plumber or even DIY.

However, I called my local plumbing supply store and they said that chaning a heating coil for an
oil burner is not a DIY project?

I only have basic plumbing and electric skills. I can weld copper pipes on my pool heater and can
replace PVC plumbing.

Are there any generic instructions for changing the heating coil, so I can see what I am getting
into. If this is not a DIY project can you please let me know?

The oil furnace is made by Weil-McLain and the heating coil is encolsed in a metal conainer that is
22 inches wide and 17 inche depth.

Unless this particular coil is made w/ compression or other threaded
fittings, I'd agree your skill set/level doesn't sound up to the
task...sounds like a job for the pro.- Hide quoted text -

A water heating coil on a hot air furnace? Does this exist? If it
does, I've never seen one.