Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Is changing a leaking heating coil for an oil/forced hot air furnace a DIY project

Didn't know you were talking about a 90 percenter. That changes a
lot. Thanks.

7 years experience as a part time installer.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

"wicked" wrote in message
: Stormin Mormon wrote:
: So, how can you get water to leak out of a hot air furnace?
Did I
: miss something here?
:
:
:
: During combustion certain gases form. In high efficiency
furnaces, the
: burnt gases are routed through a coil, usually stainless steel,
that is
: mounted to the heat exchanger by a small purge blower. Most of
the heat
: is extracted from those gases and condensation forms in the
coil, which
: is usually drained out through a hose or pipe, into a floor
drain.
: If the coil develops a leak, the condensation leaves the coil
through
: that breach in the coil instead of being drained out the tube.
If water
: can escape then so can the cooled combustion gases. Carbon
monoxide is
: one of those gases. It can make you ill or even kill you in
your sleep.
:
: This is as technical as I need to get. If anyone has anything
to add,
: please do.
:
: Oh, I have 23 1/2 years experience in the hvac field.