Posted to alt.home.repair

Default forced hot air furnace

Hi all,

I have a NewMac oil/wood combination forced hot air furnace. I just
purchased my house (first one) a couple of months ago. I had the
furnace inspected and cleaned before firing it up. Anyways, I have a
few issues that I am wondering about.
- The furnace guy said it has a 0.75 gph nozzle in it, it should have
a 1.5 gph nozzle. He figured it was put in to save fuel. Stated if it
didn't heat the house enough to replace it with the correct size.
- The furnace kicks the burner on, then shuts it off and then turns
on the blower. So I only seem to get a quick blast of hot air then its
cool air coming out.
- It seems to kick on quite a bit I would say maybe every 10 - 15
mins sometimes (maybe its trying to get the house up to temp and has
to keep kicking on because the burners not staying on?).
Not sure if replacing the nozzle with the larger size will help solve
the burner problem, I would tend to think that the burner should stay
on with the blowers running to keep hot air blowing out.
Haven't burnt wood in it yet, just got the chimney inspected. Plan on
burning this weekend for the first time.

Thanks for the help

Posted to alt.home.repair

"rsnyder" wrote in message

- The furnace guy said it has a 0.75 gph nozzle in it, it should have
a 1.5 gph nozzle. He figured it was put in to save fuel. Stated if it
didn't heat the house enough to replace it with the correct size.

He should have replaced it if it is wrong. They are not very expensive.
What does the burner maker say is the correct size? That is what counts.
No, it won't save oil. You have to burn a certain amount of fuel to get the
corresponding amount of heat from it.

- The furnace kicks the burner on, then shuts it off and then turns
on the blower. So I only seem to get a quick blast of hot air then its
cool air coming out.
- It seems to kick on quite a bit I would say maybe every 10 - 15
mins sometimes (maybe its trying to get the house up to temp and has
to keep kicking on because the burners not staying on?).

There are temperature limit switches. When the heat exchanger gets up to
the pre-set temperature, the burner will shut off as to not oveheat. Then
it comes back on at the low setting. The blower should be on if heat is
needed as determined by the thermostat. The burner will cycle as needed and
should be on most of the time the blower is running.

Not sure if replacing the nozzle with the larger size will help solve
the burner problem, I would tend to think that the burner should stay
on with the blowers running to keep hot air blowing out.

I don't know if you need a new nozzle or not, but I'm pretty sure you need a
new furnace guy. Yours is not operating correctly and he does not seem to
know what to do.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks for the reply,
I wonder if there is a way to change when the blower turns on? Can I
change the temp. that it kicks on at or something?
The furnace guy brought to my attention that it was the wrong size
nozzle and asked if I wanted to replace it. I figured if the previous
owners used it with the smaller nozzle maybe it would save fuel or
something. So I figured I would wait and see. And he inspected it
before the heating season, so I didn't know of the blower problem, to
ask him.

Posted to alt.home.repair

..

Posted to alt.home.repair

"rsnyder" wrote in message
ups.com...
Thanks for the reply,
I wonder if there is a way to change when the blower turns on? Can I
change the temp. that it kicks on at or something?
The furnace guy brought to my attention that it was the wrong size
nozzle and asked if I wanted to replace it. I figured if the previous
owners used it with the smaller nozzle maybe it would save fuel or
something. So I figured I would wait and see. And he inspected it
before the heating season, so I didn't know of the blower problem, to
ask him.

There may be a temp sensor above the burner that turns on the fan
after the heat exchanger has heated up enough. It may have turn on
and turn off adjustments.

Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

rsnyder posted for all of us...

[...]

Asked and answered MANY times - do your own research.
--
Tekkie Don't bother to thank me, I do this as a public service.