Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Too Many BENDS in Plumbing?

I'm going to install a sediment filter after my water softener which
runs to my well. An ideal place would be just above the softener tank,
but the particular location would require me to add at least two more
(3/4" copper) elbows. Given the effects adding bends has on air-
ducting, I'd expect it would have a negative effect on water flow as
well. Or am I exaggerating the importance of this?

Thanks!

Mark

Posted to alt.home.repair

"gmark" wrote in message
oups.com...
I'm going to install a sediment filter after my water softener which
runs to my well. An ideal place would be just above the softener tank,
but the particular location would require me to add at least two more
(3/4" copper) elbows. Given the effects adding bends has on air-
ducting, I'd expect it would have a negative effect on water flow as
well. Or am I exaggerating the importance of this?

Thanks!

Mark

I don't think it would do that much. Could you use a flex hose and tie it
inline? Might make the filter easier to service, too.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

gmark wrote:

I'm going to install a sediment filter after my water softener which
runs to my well. An ideal place would be just above the softener tank,
but the particular location would require me to add at least two more
(3/4" copper) elbows. Given the effects adding bends has on air-
ducting, I'd expect it would have a negative effect on water flow as
well. Or am I exaggerating the importance of this?

Thanks!

Mark

Not of great importance. It's akin to
adding a few more feet of straight run.
The resistance of the filter itself will
outweigh the effect of 2 EL's.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 9, 4:30 pm, "gmark" wrote:
I'm going to install a sediment filter after my water softener which
runs to my well. An ideal place would be just above the softener tank,
but the particular location would require me to add at least two more
(3/4" copper) elbows. Given the effects adding bends has on air-
ducting, I'd expect it would have a negative effect on water flow as
well. Or am I exaggerating the importance of this?

Thanks!

Mark

Or am I exaggerating the importance of this?

Perhaps slightly........ but an excessive number of fttings will
increase the pressure drop

when sizing / designing plumbing systems......fittings; elbows,
valves, etc "add" an equivalent length of straight ......that way it's
easy it figure the pressure drop

3/4" 90's "add" about 2 feet

http://www.copper.org/applications/p...cth_table7.htm

cheers
Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

"gmark" wrote in message
oups.com...
I'm going to install a sediment filter after my water softener which
runs to my well. An ideal place would be just above the softener tank,
but the particular location would require me to add at least two more
(3/4" copper) elbows. Given the effects adding bends has on air-
ducting, I'd expect it would have a negative effect on water flow as
well. Or am I exaggerating the importance of this?

Two elbows won't be noticed. OTOH, the filter should be before the softener
to prevent sediment from gunking up the softener valves.

Also, I don't understand why a softener would run to the well. The well
line should run to the softener. Either your plumbing or your sentence
structure is incorrect.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Elbow away, they'll make no difference.

--
Steve Barker

"gmark" wrote in message
oups.com...
I'm going to install a sediment filter after my water softener which
runs to my well. An ideal place would be just above the softener tank,
but the particular location would require me to add at least two more
(3/4" copper) elbows. Given the effects adding bends has on air-
ducting, I'd expect it would have a negative effect on water flow as
well. Or am I exaggerating the importance of this?

Thanks!

Mark

Posted to alt.home.repair

gmark wrote:
I'm going to install a sediment filter after my water softener which
runs to my well. An ideal place would be just above the softener tank,
but the particular location would require me to add at least two more
(3/4" copper) elbows. Given the effects adding bends has on air-
ducting, I'd expect it would have a negative effect on water flow as
well. Or am I exaggerating the importance of this?

Thanks!

Mark

I think as others have said, you probably won't notice too much
difference in water flow.

But, if you're anal about minimizing the pressure drop and don't mind
paying a couple of bucks more for the parts, then spring for larger
radius "long turn" elbows like these:

http://www.bramec.com/categories/detail.asp?cat=2171

Many fitting manufacturers make them.

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 10, 3:29 pm, Jeff Wisnia wrote:
gmarkwrote:
I'm going to install a sediment filter after mywatersoftener which
runs to my well. An ideal place would be just above the softener tank,
but the particular location would require me to add at least two more
(3/4" copper) elbows. Given the effects adding bends has on air-
ducting, I'd expect it would have a negative effect onwaterflow as
well. Or am I exaggerating the importance of this?

Thanks!

Mark

I think as others have said, you probably won't notice too much
difference inwaterflow.

But, if you're anal about minimizing the pressure drop and don't mind
paying a couple of bucks more for the parts, then spring for larger
radius "long turn" elbows like these:

http://www.bramec.com/categories/detail.asp?cat=2171

Many fitting manufacturers make them.

Jeff

Excellent -- thanks!

I'll answer some questions --
1) Yes, it's my sentence structure. I'm talking about "runs" as in
"the pipe runs" -- not the water itself. The well goes to the
softener.
2) I'm putting the filter after the softener because the filter is a
fine porosity with a charcoal element, which I think wouldn't last
nearly as long if the softener is not removing some of the minerals,
etc.. And the last softener we rented from Eco never had any problems
with our water for at least 15 years. Plus, the location I have in
mind is right at eye level under the light, so checking the filter
should be a breeze.
3) I checked several manufacturers (which is likely also overkill,
since I didn't see any difference). I saw that the "Omni" looks pretty
much like all the others -- GE, Culligan, etc. -- but was a couple
bucks cheaper, and transparent (a plus, I think). The replacement
filters, however, had the same specs, but the others were between 10
and 35 bucks for replacements, while the Omni at Menards was 3-5
bucks, same specs. If this is temporary, or if there really is a
difference, at least I've got the plumbing done.
4) I stayed away from flex tubing for the same reason I've done so in
furnace ducting -- kinetc and viscous friction through the corrugated,
bendable hose. This may have been my exaggeration of the importance as
well. I guess from what everyone's said, viscous friction is of less
significance in water compared to air due to the energy consumed in
moving the mass of water. I found the equivalence of an elbow to the
effects of a length of straight pipe to be very informative, too!

Thanks again!

Mark

Posted to alt.home.repair

"gmark" wrote in message

3) I checked several manufacturers (which is likely also overkill,
since I didn't see any difference). I saw that the "Omni" looks pretty
much like all the others -- GE, Culligan, etc. -- but was a couple
bucks cheaper, and transparent (a plus, I think). The replacement
filters, however, had the same specs, but the others were between 10
and 35 bucks for replacements, while the Omni at Menards was 3-5
bucks, same specs. If this is temporary, or if there really is a
difference, at least I've got the plumbing done.

Can't say much about hte housing and I'm not familir with ti. I'd only have
a transparent one myself. As for element brands, I buy what I get at a good
price. For sediment, the brand does not seem to matter at all and I've been
using filters for about 20 years now. The kitchen filter though, I've had
better luck with Instapure charcoal filters for long life over other brands.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Abe wrote:
I'm going to install a sediment filter after my water softener which
runs to my well. An ideal place would be just above the softener tank,
but the particular location would require me to add at least two more
(3/4" copper) elbows. Given the effects adding bends has on air-
ducting, I'd expect it would have a negative effect on water flow as
well. Or am I exaggerating the importance of this?

Wouldn't it make more sense to install the filter before the water
softener?

Absolutely. You don't want sediment contaminating the resin bed.

Rob