Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph O'Brien

Default dryer vent length, multiple bends

My dryer is currently located on an exterior wall. It vents directly
outside.

As nice as this is, I want to move the dryer to the opposite wall so I
can stack it on top of my washer. After reading about dryer duct
length on this newsgroup and other places, I understand that the
maximum length of the duct is 25', minus 5' for every 90 degree bend,
not counting the last elbow that connects to the exterior wall.

Would someone here help me verify the maximum length in my situation?
Basically, I need to go up the interior wall, across the ceiling, and
down the exterior wall, and out. So I have...

Dryer + elbow + vertical duct + elbow + horizontal duct + elbow +
vertical duct + elbow outside.

By my initial calculations, since I have 3 90-degree elbows (not
counting the one leading outside), I reduce my maximum duct length by
15 feet. Does that sound right? I counted the elbow coming out of the
dryer... is that right?

Thanks for your help,
Joseph

Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

"Joseph O'Brien" wrote in message
Dryer + elbow + vertical duct + elbow + horizontal duct + elbow +
vertical duct + elbow outside.

By my initial calculations, since I have 3 90-degree elbows (not
counting the one leading outside), I reduce my maximum duct length by
15 feet. Does that sound right? I counted the elbow coming out of the
dryer... is that right?

Yes and if you have a long run, you are asking for problem down the road.
Mine is in a downstairs bath/laundry room and with only two elbows need
cleaning too frequently. Move the washer if you can.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Doug Kanter

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
.. .

"Joseph O'Brien" wrote in message
Dryer + elbow + vertical duct + elbow + horizontal duct + elbow +
vertical duct + elbow outside.

By my initial calculations, since I have 3 90-degree elbows (not
counting the one leading outside), I reduce my maximum duct length by
15 feet. Does that sound right? I counted the elbow coming out of the
dryer... is that right?

Yes and if you have a long run, you are asking for problem down the road.
Mine is in a downstairs bath/laundry room and with only two elbows need
cleaning too frequently. Move the washer if you can.

What about using round sheet metal heat duct material, perhaps with one
square or rectangular spot in the middle with a cleanout hold for a vacuum
hose?

Posted to alt.home.repair
SQLit

"Joseph O'Brien" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

They make booster fans for applications like this.
http://www.electricsuppliesonline.co...echdbf110.html

Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob

My Maytag dryer installation instructions say. Rigid metal dryer duct should
not exceed an equivalent of 50 ft. Each rigid 90 degree elbow is the
equivalent of 8 ft. of straight duct. The exhaust hood is equivalent to 8
ft. of straight duct. No more than three 90 degree elbows should be used. 4
ft. of straight duct should be between each elbow. So, if you're using an
exhaust hood and three 90 degree elbows, the maximum amount of straight duct
cannot exceed 18 ft. Do not use sheet metal screws.

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm

On 15 Jan 2006 11:51:08 -0800, "Joseph O'Brien"
wrote:

My dryer is currently located on an exterior wall. It vents directly
outside.

As nice as this is, I want to move the dryer to the opposite wall so I
can stack it on top of my washer. After reading about dryer duct
length on this newsgroup and other places, I understand that the
maximum length of the duct is 25', minus 5' for every 90 degree bend,
not counting the last elbow that connects to the exterior wall.

I know you didn't ask, but what do you plan to use the space the dryer
is in for?

If shelves, build shelves over the washer and the dryer, and you won't
have to move anything.

Remove NOPSAM to email me. Please let
me know if you have posted also.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message

What about using round sheet metal heat duct material, perhaps with one
square or rectangular spot in the middle with a cleanout hold for a vacuum
hose?

May help, but most of the lint tends to gather in a spot where the hose goes
over top of the hallway. Vacuum will not suck it out.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph O'Brien

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions. I think I have just enough
length to make it without an inline fan.

MM: I might take your suggestion and build some shelves, at least
temporarily. The other part of this project is to hire an electrician
to install a new 220 outlet, which isn't in the budget for a few more
months.

Thanks again for everyone's help.

Joseph

Posted to alt.home.repair
CDET 14

The last vertical duct is probably not necessary. Will your home allow
the termination at the end of the horizontal duct?

Posted to alt.home.repair
CDET 14

Try a blower to clean it out. See several suggestions at
www.CleanYourOwnDryerVent.com

Dryer vent Chas12 Home Repair 32 December 22nd 05 02:29 PM
Inline Dryer Vent Jibber Home Repair 5 December 16th 05 08:54 PM
Dryer vent flange [email protected] Home Repair 4 November 7th 05 12:50 PM
Dryer vent routing across basement ceiling dean Home Repair 14 November 2nd 05 07:06 PM
Auxilliary external fan for dryer vent? Bob_M Home Repair 6 November 2nd 04 02:28 AM