Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Lawn mower won't work

had some problems with lawn mower after a long winter's nap. Changed
the spark plug and the air cleaner and it started right up, ran for
about 5 minutes until I turned it off and I thought all was cool.
Today I take it out for Real and it won't start. Prime it 4 times
like the manual says. Pull on the starter cord and nothing happens. No
catch, not sputter, just the starter going in and out and the parts that
are supposed to move for the starter moving. Took the plug out and
regapped and put it back to no avail. Don't smell too much gas.
Since it worked fine last week, any suggestions for this week.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Did you put it away with gas in the tank? Is your carb the white plastic
kind?

Between the carb and the tank is a fiber gasket and a thin diaphram, your
diaphram may be the culprit. Replacement cost 4.00

Searcher

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article MCvSh.6264$jS1.2411@trndny07, "Shopdog"
wrote:

Did you put it away with gas in the tank?

No. Siphoned it out, ran it for about 5 minutes until it ran out of
gas and then pulled on the starter a couple more times to see if
anything was left behind. The gas is from last fall, but it worked fine
in the snow thrower a couple of weeks ago and it worked fine a week ago
when I was starting things up.

Is your carb the white plastic
kind?

Nope. Looks grey and metalish to the naked eye. It is is B&S engine
on a two year old Toro. Changed the oil, too.

Between the carb and the tank is a fiber gasket and a thin diaphram, your
diaphram may be the culprit. Replacement cost 4.00

Searcher

I'll try that. I got it finally get started so I could at least
pretend I was mowing. It isn't running rough as much as weak (best way I
know how to describe). It isn't as loud as it should be and doesn't seem
to have as much power. It labors noticably when I try to use
self-propelled part and even when I am mowing, it feels "sluggish" I
guess.

Thanks.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Kurt Ullman" wrote in message
had some problems with lawn mower after a long winter's nap.

Had similar problems. The fix was to not let him use the car until the lawn
was mowed.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Check the exhaust to make sure some critters have not blocked it with
whatever. My weedwacker wouldn't run right and I found mud daubers in the
exhaust blocking the port . If your engine has a bowl on the carb remove it
and clean out the varnish that has come loose blocking the fuel ports
"Kurt Ullman" wrote in message
had some problems with lawn mower after a long winter's nap. Changed
the spark plug and the air cleaner and it started right up, ran for
about 5 minutes until I turned it off and I thought all was cool.
Today I take it out for Real and it won't start. Prime it 4 times
like the manual says. Pull on the starter cord and nothing happens. No
catch, not sputter, just the starter going in and out and the parts that
are supposed to move for the starter moving. Took the plug out and
regapped and put it back to no avail. Don't smell too much gas.
Since it worked fine last week, any suggestions for this week.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 09 Apr 2007 19:04:30 GMT, Kurt Ullman
wrote:

I'll try that. I got it finally get started so I could at least
pretend I was mowing. It isn't running rough as much as weak (best way I
know how to describe). It isn't as loud as it should be and doesn't seem
to have as much power. It labors noticably when I try to use
self-propelled part and even when I am mowing, it feels "sluggish" I
guess.

Try removing the gas cap. If it runs then the cap is faulty. Make sure
the gas cap vent hole is clear (us paperclip or other wire).

Spray some starting fluid in the carb. Will it run (better power)?
--
Oren

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I'll try that. I got it finally get started so I could at least
pretend I was mowing. It isn't running rough as much as weak (best way I
know how to describe). It isn't as loud as it should be and doesn't seem
to have as much power. It labors noticably when I try to use
self-propelled part and even when I am mowing, it feels "sluggish" I
guess.

Try removing the gas cap. If it runs then the cap is faulty. Make sure
the gas cap vent hole is clear (us paperclip or other wire).

Spray some starting fluid in the carb. Will it run (better power)?
--
Oren

Thanks. I'll try both
Posted to alt.home.repair

I suggest you post a lot more information about the mower. Age,
model, size, any numbers on the motor.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

If it's a Sears, I've had starting problems with every one I owned.
Turn it up side down for a second or two and pull the cord. WORKS
EVERY TIME!!!!!

On Mon, 09 Apr 2007 18:05:53 GMT, Kurt Ullman
wrote:

had some problems with lawn mower after a long winter's nap. Changed
the spark plug and the air cleaner and it started right up, ran for
about 5 minutes until I turned it off and I thought all was cool.
Today I take it out for Real and it won't start. Prime it 4 times
like the manual says. Pull on the starter cord and nothing happens. No
catch, not sputter, just the starter going in and out and the parts that
are supposed to move for the starter moving. Took the plug out and
regapped and put it back to no avail. Don't smell too much gas.
Since it worked fine last week, any suggestions for this week.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 11 Apr 2007 19:18:45 -0400, jasmin
wrote:

If it's a Sears, I've had starting problems with every one I owned.
Turn it up side down for a second or two and pull the cord. WORKS
EVERY TIME!!!!!

I busted nut on a bicycle; once, I must thrown that bike a half block.

wrote:

had some problems with lawn mower after a long winter's nap. Changed
the spark plug and the air cleaner and it started right up, ran for
about 5 minutes until I turned it off and I thought all was cool.
Today I take it out for Real and it won't start. Prime it 4 times
like the manual says. Pull on the starter cord and nothing happens. No
catch, not sputter, just the starter going in and out and the parts that
are supposed to move for the starter moving. Took the plug out and
regapped and put it back to no avail. Don't smell too much gas.
Since it worked fine last week, any suggestions for this week.

--
Oren

Getting lawn mower going again... Lot-O-Fun Home Repair 13 March 29th 07 05:54 AM
Lawn Mower Help kd3yt Home Repair 6 December 14th 06 09:48 AM
Lawn Mower Help John UK diy 8 June 7th 06 01:21 PM
lawn mower Charlie Brown Home Repair 3 October 25th 05 02:41 AM
Lawn Mower harry manka Home Repair 9 September 29th 04 03:30 PM