Posted to alt.home.repair

Default New garage floor

I just had a new garage floor poured, how long should I waite before
sealing the floor?
The weather is below freezing, should I still try and hose the floor
to help the cement cure or waite another week until the temperature
gets above the freezing point?
Is there clear non-slip sealer if & when I do seal it?
knuriata

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On Apr 8, 7:45 am, wrote:
I just had a new garage floor poured, how long should I waite before
sealing the floor?
The weather is below freezing, should I still try and hose the floor
to help the cement cure or waite another week until the temperature
gets above the freezing point?
Is there clear non-slip sealer if & when I do seal it?
knuriata

a) How long ago is "just"?
b) Month, anyway -- what's the rush?
c) No, only misting if it's really hot keep from drying out too fast
on top and overheating (curing concrete gives off heat)
d) There's a product for anything you want. Whether you will want to
spend the $$ is another question.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Rick Blaine" wrote in message
The weather is below freezing, should I still try and hose the floor
to help the cement cure or waite another week until the temperature
gets above the freezing point?

Where on earth did you get the idea that spraying water on fresh concrete
speeds
up curing time? Certain chemicals can be added to the wet mix to speed up
curing
time, but for a residential garage they aren't necessary and can't be
"sprayed
on" after the pour.

Where did he say "speed up the cure". If you re-read, he stated he wanted to
"help" the cure. If you are going to help it, I translate that into making
it better. To make it better, often the method is to keep the concrete wet
so it will not cure too fast and it is helped to being stronger.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote:

Where did he say "speed up the cure". If you re-read, he stated he wanted to
"help" the cure. If you are going to help it, I translate that into making
it better. To make it better, often the method is to keep the concrete wet
so it will not cure too fast and it is helped to being stronger.

In the context of the OP's previous question about "How soon can I seal?", it's
reasonable to assume that "helping the cure" was speeding it up, not making it
stronger, especially for a residential garage floor. Still, your point is
valid...

New Garage Floor Sandy K. Home Repair 5 February 1st 06 12:42 AM
Garage floor spiff up Airkings Home Repair 7 August 16th 05 06:06 AM
Garage Floor Jimmy Home Repair 0 August 6th 05 04:12 AM
Painting garage floor Bill Home Ownership 0 October 22nd 04 03:10 AM
Garage floor limey Home Repair 7 July 14th 03 07:19 PM