limey

Default Garage floor

We have the usual concrete garage floor. We've painted it but it comes off
after time.

Would a covering of sheet vinyl work? Glued down, or unglued? Would
appreciate any advice. Thanks.
--

limey at toad dot net

limey

Well, since I'm a dumb blonde, maybe one of you kind gentlemen would tell me
the correct way to do it right.

"Joseph Meehan" wrote in message
You used the wrong kind of paint or more likely you did not prep the

job
well enough to start with. The fix is to do it right. Done right the
paint will not come off.

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

"limey" wrote in message
We have the usual concrete garage floor. We've painted it but it comes

off
after time.

Would a covering of sheet vinyl work? Glued down, or unglued? Would
appreciate any advice. Thanks.
--

limey at toad dot net

Tom J

"Joseph Meehan" wrote in message
You used the wrong kind of paint or more likely you did not prep the

job
well enough to start with. The fix is to do it right. Done right the
paint will not come off.

But - but - but it's already down and peeling, so it's very hard to do
right when it's already been done wrong. Mine was etched and painted in
1966 and is still solid, but I did have one of those commercial sprayed on
vinyl chip surfaces that were very popular at the time. Cost 5 times
regular paint, but has well paid for it's self.

Tom J

Joseph Meehan

Real garage paint has the instructions on the can. You need to follow
them exactly, no short cuts.

Now you have a problem because of the existing paint. It really should
be removed.

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

"limey" wrote in message
We have the usual concrete garage floor. We've painted it but it

comes
off
after time.

Would a covering of sheet vinyl work? Glued down, or unglued? Would
appreciate any advice. Thanks.
--

limey at toad dot net

limey

"Tom J" wrote in message

"Joseph Meehan" wrote in message
You used the wrong kind of paint or more likely you did not prep the

job
well enough to start with. The fix is to do it right. Done right the
paint will not come off.

But - but - but it's already down and peeling, so it's very hard to do
right when it's already been done wrong. Mine was etched and painted in
1966 and is still solid, but I did have one of those commercial sprayed on
vinyl chip surfaces that were very popular at the time. Cost 5 times
regular paint, but has well paid for it's self.

Tom J

Well, it looks as though I can blame the builder, who went ahead and painted
it "for a favor". Which leads me back to my original question: can I put
down sheet vinyl? If so, can it be glued down? Thanks for any reply.

Tom J

"limey" wrote in message

"Tom J" wrote in message

[...]

You can put the vinyl floor covering down OK. 1st you need to scrape up all
the loose paint. The floor may need leveling where the paint came up, or at
lease the edges of the spots where the loose paint was removed sanded to
"feather" those spots so these spots won't show through the vinyl after
laying. The most critical part is getting the correct mastic for setting
the vinyl to the floor. Make sure it is for cement with ground contact and
for the brand vinyl you will be using. Good Luck!!

Tom J
who would have a flooring contractor do it!!

limey

"Tom J" wrote in message

"limey" wrote in message

"Tom J" wrote in message

[...]