Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Kenmore washer wont drain or spin

This is a large capacity Kenmore 1 year and 1 week old. Has been used
for only 6 full months and has run good up until last night. Noticed
when we took the clothes out there were still very wet. Tried to re-
run the spin and nothing. the machine hums and the lights actually dim
in the utility room and nothing. you can hear the clicking if you turn
the knob to different settings like it would if it was working but
still nothing. I was able to add some water and tried to get it to
agitate but this is also a no go. So its not doing anything at all
except filling. Any one have any ideas at all? It would be greatly
appreciated.

Oh Sears says sorry no extended warrantee was purchased and we only
allow 3 months for return and 1 year manufacturer. What happened to
the days when you bought a $350 washer and it actually worked for 5-10
years? But they would be happy to charge me $125 to have the tech come
and see if its something like a defect or if it's a part I can pay
then to replace. 6 months $350 Gesh !!!!! Wont forget to get the
extended with its replacement .....

Renee'

Posted to alt.home.repair

Renee,

Sounds as if you've lost the belt. Probably a cheap fix. Google around
and find a site that tells you how to open your machine up and replace the
belt. This is very easy to do. I think Kenmore washers are made by
Whirlpool.

Dave M.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"David Martel" wrote in message
rthlink.net...
Renee,

Sounds as if you've lost the belt. Probably a cheap fix. Google around
and find a site that tells you how to open your machine up and replace the
belt. This is very easy to do. I think Kenmore washers are made by
Whirlpool.

Dave M.

Well, actually, it probably uses a direct drive motor/transmission. There's
a coupler between the two which will break sometimes (if overloaded,
clothing jams agitator, etc.) which is easily replaced by homeowner.
Library will probably have a repair book for Whirlpool that will show you
how, or search the net.

Tom.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Tom G" wrote in message

"David Martel" wrote in message
rthlink.net...
Renee,

Sounds as if you've lost the belt. Probably a cheap fix. Google around
and find a site that tells you how to open your machine up and replace

the
belt. This is very easy to do. I think Kenmore washers are made by
Whirlpool.

Dave M.

Well, actually, it probably uses a direct drive motor/transmission.

There's
a coupler between the two which will break sometimes (if overloaded,
clothing jams agitator, etc.) which is easily replaced by homeowner.
Library will probably have a repair book for Whirlpool that will show you
how, or search the net.

Tom.

I agree this sounds like a broken coupler. The part is less than $15.

Remove two screws at the base of the control panel, lift the control panel
out of the way. Disconnect the plug, remove two clips. The case can now be
pulled forward and removed.

A couple of clips hold the pump to the motor and then the motor can be
removed. There is one plastic piece on the motor, and one plastic piece on
the transmission with a rubber disk in-between.

The plastic pieces pull of the shaft on the motor and the transmission.

The new coupler will have two new plastic pieces and one new rubber disk.

Reassemble and your washer should be good as new.

--

Roger Shoaf

they come up with this striped stuff.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 6, 10:06 am, "Roger Shoaf" wrote:

I agree this sounds like a broken coupler. The part is less than $15.

I had similar symptoms a couple of years ago with a bad lid switch.

Lid switch doesn't seem very likely on a year-old washer, but then
neither does a broken coupler.

Jerry

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 6, 4:50 pm, "
wrote:
On Apr 6, 10:06 am, "Roger Shoaf" wrote:

I agree this sounds like a broken coupler. The part is less than $15.

I had similar symptoms a couple of years ago with a bad lid switch.

Lid switch doesn't seem very likely on a year-old washer, but then
neither does a broken coupler.

Jerry

If I turn it on lid open I get nothing, if I close the lid and turn it
on I hear the clicking and the surge in the electricity changes ,
dimming the lights as if it were trying to run , so should I assume
since that's happening its not the lid switch and stick with finding
the coupler?

thank you all for the help... its nice so many offer.

Renee'