Posted to alt.home.repair

Default kenmore washer loud spin cycle

I have a Kenmore top loading washer Mod- 110.23812100, and in the past
couple of days it has developed a serious noise as it goes through the
spin cycle. Doesn't appear to be draining either. I've already looked
through some other similar posts.
http://groups.google.com/group/alt.h...4e 4574b1aeee
It sounds almost like a loud pump sound. The wife says she can smell
something (maybe a belt?) I'm definitely not Mr. Mechanical, so I
can't be sure. The wife and I are poor students, and if I can fix this
myself, I will. So where to start? How do I troubleshoot this
problem? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Peace,
Jason

Posted to alt.home.repair
Kathy

wrote in message
ups.com...
I have a Kenmore top loading washer Mod-

110.23812100, and in the past
couple of days it has developed a serious noise

as it goes through the
spin cycle. Doesn't appear to be draining

either. I've already looked
through some other similar posts.

http://groups.google.com/group/alt.h...4e 4574b1aeee
It sounds almost like a loud pump sound. The

wife says she can smell
something (maybe a belt?) I'm definitely not Mr.

Mechanical, so I
can't be sure. The wife and I are poor students,

and if I can fix this
myself, I will. So where to start? How do I

troubleshoot this
problem? Any advice would be greatly

appreciated.
Peace,
Jason

Open the Yellow Pages to "appliance repair".

Posted to alt.home.repair
buffalobill

http://www.repairclinic.com/0100_23.asp

http://fixitnow.com/

Posted to alt.home.repair
Appliance Repair Aid

wrote:
I have a Kenmore top loading washer Mod- 110.23812100, and in the past
couple of days it has developed a serious noise as it goes through the
spin cycle. Doesn't appear to be draining either. I've already looked
through some other similar posts.
http://groups.google.com/group/alt.h...4e 4574b1aeee
It sounds almost like a loud pump sound. The wife says she can smell
something (maybe a belt?) I'm definitely not Mr. Mechanical, so I
can't be sure. The wife and I are poor students, and if I can fix this
myself, I will. So where to start? How do I troubleshoot this
problem? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Peace,
Jason

Hi,

The wife says she can smell
something (maybe a belt?)

Model# shows a direct drive style washer = no belt.

So where to start?

How to open it up to have a peek...
http://www.applianceaid.com/procedures.html
http://www.applianceaid.com/dd_lidswitch.html

jeff.
Appliance Repair Aid
http://www.applianceaid.com/

Posted to alt.home.repair
~^Johnny^~

On 6 Feb 2006 04:47:54 -0800, "Appliance Repair Aid"

I have a Kenmore top loading washer Mod- 110.23812100, and in the past
couple of days it has developed a serious noise as it goes through the
spin cycle. Doesn't appear to be draining either. I've already looked
through some other similar posts.
http://groups.google.com/group/alt.h...4e 4574b1aeee
It sounds almost like a loud pump sound. The wife says she can smell
something (maybe a belt?) I'm definitely not Mr. Mechanical, so I
can't be sure. The wife and I are poor students, and if I can fix this
myself, I will. So where to start? How do I troubleshoot this
problem? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Peace,
Jason

Hi,

The wife says she can smell
something (maybe a belt?)

Model# shows a direct drive style washer = no belt.

That is correct. When they first came out, they were affectionately
know in the trade as the "Design 2000". I think they're crap,
compared to the older belt-driven Whirlpools, if you ask me. YMMV.

So where to start?

How to open it up to have a peek...
http://www.applianceaid.com/procedures.html
http://www.applianceaid.com/dd_lidswitch.html

jeff.
Appliance Repair Aid
http://www.applianceaid.com/

Yeah - sounds like a bad or stuck pump, more like a
sock/nylon/underwire/etc stuck in the impeller. It's easy enough to
get to, just two clips. You shouldn't have to disconnect the hoses
to clean out the pump, and the wires just unplug. If the pump itself
is seized, but not due to impeller obstruction, then chances are the
seals are shot, and it is leaking water into the motor (one more
reason for that burning smell) ;`(

That smell is the motor overheating due to too much water in the tub
for too long, overheating it.

--
-john
wide-open at throttle dot info

~~~~~~~~
A little knowledge that acts is worth infinitely
more than much knowledge that is idle. -Kahlil Gibran
~~~~~~~~

Posted to alt.home.repair

Haha!
Bingo
Baby sock stuck in impeller.
Thank you so much Johnny.
Next time my mom asks me what good is the internet, I'm going to point
to this.
Technology and friendly people save the day.
peace,
Jason

~^Johnny^~ wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
NatlHomeServices

when was the last time you cleaned it out?

Turn off water, hook a hose up to the drain, and drain it out.
All that sediment and krap gets in the bottom of tank and offsets its
effective heating capability.

After you drain it,turn on the water and fill her up again, if still
a problem, try elements or just downright getting a new heater.

In my many plumbing years, even with the finest of h/water tank
warranties, the tanks die out in 8-10 yrs. no matter where you live
(type of water),etc.

Posted to alt.home.repair
~^Johnny^~

On Sun, 5 Feb 2006 21:58:11 -0500, "Kathy"
wrote:

Open the Yellow Pages to "appliance repair".

Then be prepared to open your billfold/purse/wallet.

This is [practically] a DIY newsgroup, Kathy.

One smart-ass reply deserves another,
and so I am inclined to gratuitously reciprocate.
:-)