Ray K

Default Kenmore washing machine doesn't drain or spin

It's controlled by a rotary knob connected to a motor-driven set of
mechanical switches that sequence the various cycles.

It fills, washes and agitates okay. The first high-speed drain doesn't
work. The pointer on the control dial continues into the Rinse section
(telling me the timer motor is working), then everything stops, like
there is no power from the wall. I no longer can hear the gears of the
timer motor turning.

If I pull the control knob out, then position it at various points in
the rinse or spin cycles, nothing happens. If I position it back into
the wash position, the agitator starts.

Same problems occur regardless of the mode I select, Ultra Clean or
Permanent Press, or the spin speed I select.

Everything points to the timer. I first theorized that the reason
everything stops at some point in the Rinse cycle is that there is a
call for more water in, but the drum is still filled. So something
senses too much water and shuts everything down to prevent overfill.
I've manually bailed out at least half the water, but the problems still
exist, so this theory seems bad.

Normally, I would just go ahead and buy a timer, but Sears and none of
the independent parts places have it in stock. So before killing a week
waiting, I'm trying here for other possibilities.

Kenmore Model: 110.22842100

Thanks for any other ideas you have.

Ray
Appliance Repair Aid

Ray K wrote:
[...]

Hi,

*Sounds* more like a bad lid switch is possible. You can bypass it (
http://www.applianceaid.com/dd_lidswitch.html ) to test the washer.

http://www.repairclinic.com/referral.asp?R=153&N=547222

Lid switch assembly
jeff.
Appliance Repair Aid
http://www.applianceaid.com/

LFR

"Ray K" wrote in message ...
[...]

I had a Kenmore that wouldn't spin/drain/extract. Called for service and it turned out that a wire on some switch in the back had come loose. My husband was there to witness the fix so every subsequent time it failed to operate, he just opened up the back and reconnected the loose wire.
Ray K

The timer doesn't have any odd odors or discoloration.
Ray K

Appliance Repair Aid wrote:

Ray K wrote:

[...]

Thanks, Jeff, you are great. The switch had loosened because the plastic
that the mounting screws go into were broke, allowing it to fall. In the
interest of speed, I'll buy the part locally, but tomorrow I will make a
donation.

Now I see that any time the lid must be closed, everything will halt if
it appears open. I knew it had to be closed during the final spin, but I
didn't realize it must be closed at certain other times, too.

Ray

willshak

On 12/28/2004 4:08 PM US(ET), Ray K took fingers to keys, and typed the
following:

Appliance Repair Aid wrote:

Ray K wrote:

[...]

Most will continue to operate with the lid open while in the wash mode
(to add clothes, etc.). My Kenmore will. If I open the lid while in spin
mode (to rearrange clothes for balance), the machine will shut down
until the lid is closed.

--
Bill
Appliance Repair Aid

Ray K wrote:

(
[...]

Hi Ray,

Glad to hear you are getting somewhere with it
Thankx for the update!!
jeff.
Appliance Repair Aid
http://www.applianceaid.com/

Ray K

Appliance Repair Aid wrote:

Ray K wrote:

[...]

I installed the new lid switch and everything works perfectly. Thanks,
again.

Ray
Appliance Repair Aid

Ray K wrote:
I installed the new lid switch and everything works perfectly.

Thanks,
again.

Ray

That's great!! Glad you got it repaired