Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Well bladder tank question

I have a well bladder tank. I checked the air and it was low, which
explains why my pump was running too often. Getting the air to the
turn on pressure fixed the pump issue. I installed that tank about a
year ago. It was a used tank, but was said to be good. It worked
fine until recently when the pump started to turn on and off too
often. A month ago, I drained the water from the tank, but did not
check the tank air pressure. That did not solve anything. This time
I filled the air in the tank to 33lbs which is my turn on setting.
Now it works fine.

My question is this. What happens to the air? Why did it drain out?
I was told to push the air fill valve when the tank is filled with
water and if water comes out, the bladder is ruptured. I only got air
to come out so I assume the bladder is ok. However, the air pressure
was around 18 lbs, and a year ago, I had it at 33. Where did the air
go?

Thanks

Freebird33
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message

My question is this. What happens to the air? Why did it drain out?
I was told to push the air fill valve when the tank is filled with
water and if water comes out, the bladder is ruptured. I only got air
to come out so I assume the bladder is ok. However, the air pressure
was around 18 lbs, and a year ago, I had it at 33. Where did the air
go?

Probably out a very tiny leak in the valve.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 4, 9:13 pm, wrote:
[...]

My guess is that the bladder is broken. Pushing the valve will only
get air unless the tank is completely full of water which it wasn't as
long as the pump was still cycling at all.

Where did it go? Out with the water. It disolves in the water and
needs to be replenished if you have a non-bladder tank or a bladder
tank with a broken bladder.

Oh. The proper air pressure is 2 psi _below_ the cut-in pressure.

Harry K

Posted to alt.home.repair
Art Art is offline

I had the same air bladder tank for 20 years (before I moved) and never had
to touch it. Yours is probably shot.

wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5 Apr 2007 07:47:22 -0700, "Harry K"
wrote:

On Apr 4, 9:13 pm, wrote:
[...]

Guess I'll have to just check it for awhile and see if it loses air
again. I am going find one of those air valve tools and be sure the
valve is not leaking. I suppose, just like a tire, I can soap it too.

I always thought it was supposed to be a tiny bit lower than the water
CUT IN pressure too, but the tank says to set it the same as the CUT
IN pressure ????????? This is a Well-X-Trol tank. Actually I did
make it about 1 lb less, just because it only makes sense, or else the
pump might not turn on? (or so it would seem).... ???

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 5, 7:28 pm, wrote:
On 5 Apr 2007 07:47:22 -0700, "Harry K"
wrote:

On Apr 4, 9:13 pm,
wrote:
[...]

pump might not turn on? (or so it would seem).... ???- Hide quoted text -

I be dogged. I just checked my wellxtrol too and it does say that!
Doesn't make sense to me either and goes against the '2psi below' that
is quoted everywhere.

Harry K

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5 Apr 2007 19:40:41 -0700, "Harry K"
wrote:

On Apr 5, 7:28 pm, wrote:
On 5 Apr 2007 07:47:22 -0700, "Harry K"
wrote:

On Apr 4, 9:13 pm,
wrote:
[...]

I would have never even noticed that, but I was thinking I may need a
new tank so I put on my reading glasses and was looking for the
capacity of the tank so I could price new tanks. Thats when I saw
that notice. Without my glasses I would have never read it. I never
did find the capacity though..... But measuring the tank I compared
the size to the ones on their website.
I figured that using ONE psi below is a good compromise.
It works.... guess thats what matters !!!
Maybe well-x-trol has some special design that allows for this....
Otherwise I dont know why ????

Posted to alt.home.repair

I have a bladderless 50gal(?) tank and just drain it and fill it again once or
twice a year. The pressure switch sets its own pressure with the
amount of air the tank has in it when it's empty.

(Fast way to drain tank : garden hose, Y connector on tank outlet,
and drill pump. Pump for 30 seconds, and then flip the unattached
Y inlet open to let air in, repeat. Takes about a half hour. Otherwise
it takes 12 hours to drip empty.)

I was always afraid to use the schrader air valve because of putting
oil in the water. At 35 years old now, I doubt the valve works anyway.

Just to suggest you can ignore the bladder entirely.
--
Ron Hardin

Posted to alt.home.repair

(draining and filling bladderless tank con't)

Oh and you have to flip well pump on and off when you start refilling
it, to get the dislodged rust (if you have iron in the water) out of
the bottom of the tank. Each time you fill for 5 seconds and let it
drain again, you have half the rust left. After 10 cycles, you have
1/1000 of the rust left, so you do make fast progress eventually.
--
Ron Hardin

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 6, 2:08 am, Ron Hardin wrote:
(draining and filling bladderless tank con't)

Oh and you have to flip well pump on and off when you start refilling
it, to get the dislodged rust (if you have iron in the water) out of
the bottom of the tank. Each time you fill for 5 seconds and let it
drain again, you have half the rust left. After 10 cycles, you have
1/1000 of the rust left, so you do make fast progress eventually.
--
Ron Hardin

You can speed up the drain process if you have a portable air
compressor or one of those air tanks. Insert the blow gun and pack
some cloth around it in the "Y" and blow air into the tank. I now
have a bladderless and had I but known I would have changed out the
bladderless years before I did it.

Harry K

Posted to alt.home.repair

Another thing to check, let a little air out. If water comes with it,
your tank/bladder are probably shot. Adding air will only fix it for
a short time.
MarkS

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 6, 10:21 am, "Mark S" wrote:
Another thing to check, let a little air out. If water comes with it,
your tank/bladder are probably shot. Adding air will only fix it for
a short time.
MarkS

That is not a good test. True if you get water out, the bladder is
broken but the bladder can be broken for a long, long time before you
will get water out of the valve.. Why? Because the valve is almost at
the top of the tank and thus you won't get water until the air bubble
is almost totally gone. There will be plenty of warning before that
with the pump short cycling.

Harry K