Posted to alt.home.repair
Harry K Harry K is offline

Default Well bladder tank question

On Apr 5, 7:28 pm, wrote:
On 5 Apr 2007 07:47:22 -0700, "Harry K"
wrote:

On Apr 4, 9:13 pm,
wrote:
I have a well bladder tank. I checked the air and it was low, which
explains why my pump was running too often. Getting the air to the
turn on pressure fixed the pump issue. I installed that tank about a
year ago. It was a used tank, but was said to be good. It worked
fine until recently when the pump started to turn on and off too
often. A month ago, I drained the water from the tank, but did not
check the tank air pressure. That did not solve anything. This time
I filled the air in the tank to 33lbs which is my turn on setting.
Now it works fine.

My question is this. What happens to the air? Why did it drain out?
I was told to push the air fill valve when the tank is filled with
water and if water comes out, the bladder is ruptured. I only got air
to come out so I assume the bladder is ok. However, the air pressure
was around 18 lbs, and a year ago, I had it at 33. Where did the air
go?

Thanks

Freebird33

My guess is that the bladder is broken. Pushing the valve will only
get air unless the tank is completely full of water which it wasn't as
long as the pump was still cycling at all.

Where did it go? Out with the water. It disolves in the water and
needs to be replenished if you have a non-bladder tank or a bladder
tank with a broken bladder.

Oh. The proper air pressure is 2 psi _below_ the cut-in pressure.

Harry K

Guess I'll have to just check it for awhile and see if it loses air
again. I am going find one of those air valve tools and be sure the
valve is not leaking. I suppose, just like a tire, I can soap it too.

I always thought it was supposed to be a tiny bit lower than the water
CUT IN pressure too, but the tank says to set it the same as the CUT
IN pressure ????????? This is a Well-X-Trol tank. Actually I did
make it about 1 lb less, just because it only makes sense, or else the
pump might not turn on? (or so it would seem).... ???- Hide quoted text -

I be dogged. I just checked my wellxtrol too and it does say that!
Doesn't make sense to me either and goes against the '2psi below' that
is quoted everywhere.

Harry K