Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Plumbing drain question

G Mulcaster wrote:
Hi Gang,

I want to install a sink. The nearest pipe I can plug into is19 feet
away. The drain will be as follows:

18" drop from sink bottom to bottom of crawl space joists,

Run along bottom of joists for 19',

Rise 5" and plug into existing drain pipe within joists.

Thus, I will have no slope, but a 13" head. Will it work?

Thanks, Gary

I'm no drain mavin, but if I were doing the job for myself I'd put in a
tee and threaded plug under the sink and try and create the two 90
degree bends down in the crawl space with a couple of 45 degree elbows each.

That to make it easier to run a snake through the line if that long
horizontal run ever gets glogged with hair or something else over time.

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Posted to alt.home.repair

G Mulcaster wrote:

Hi Gang,

I want to install a sink. The nearest pipe I can plug into is19 feet
away. The drain will be as follows:

18" drop from sink bottom to bottom of crawl space joists,

Run along bottom of joists for 19',

Rise 5" and plug into existing drain pipe within joists.

Thus, I will have no slope, but a 13" head. Will it work?

Thanks, Gary

Should be interesting.......

Technically, it will work.

Assume you won't be seeking any permits/inspection.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 4, 6:14 pm, Speedy Jim wrote:

Should be interesting.......

Technically, it will work.

Assume you won't be seeking any permits/inspection.

Perhaps he could convince the inspector that it's all one 19' long
trap.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I'm no drain mavin, but if I were doing the job for myself I'd put in a
tee and threaded plug under the sink and try and create the two 90
degree bends down in the crawl space with a couple of 45 degree elbows each.

That to make it easier to run a snake through the line if that long
horizontal run ever gets glogged with hair or something else over time.

I'll do that. Thanks for the suggestion.

Gary
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 04 Apr 2007 22:14:47 GMT, Speedy Jim wrote:

G Mulcaster wrote:

Hi Gang,

I want to install a sink. The nearest pipe I can plug into is19 feet
away. The drain will be as follows:

18" drop from sink bottom to bottom of crawl space joists,

Run along bottom of joists for 19',

Rise 5" and plug into existing drain pipe within joists.

Thus, I will have no slope, but a 13" head. Will it work?

Thanks, Gary

Should be interesting.......

Technically, it will work.

Assume you won't be seeking any permits/inspection.

No permits/inspection.

Thanks, Gary
Posted to alt.home.repair

G Mulcaster wrote:

Hi Gang,

I want to install a sink. The nearest pipe I can plug into is19 feet
away. The drain will be as follows:

18" drop from sink bottom to bottom of crawl space joists,

Run along bottom of joists for 19',

Rise 5" and plug into existing drain pipe within joists.

Thus, I will have no slope, but a 13" head. Will it work?

Thanks, Gary

Should be interesting.......

Technically, it will work.

Assume you won't be seeking any permits/inspection.

No permits/inspection.

Thanks, Gary

Even though it will initially drain, I think it will not be satisfactory
because it is not vented, there is no slope, and the trapped water will make
drainage very slow and subject to stoppages as foreign matter settles out of
the water. Despite what some think, installing things contrary to code
provisions is usually not a good idea.

Run your drain to wherever the drain line goes low enough for a suitable
slope and provide a vent near the new sink if you want it to be satisfactory
over the long haul. Also install cleanouts for such a long run.

Don Young

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2007-04-04, G Mulcaster wrote:

I want to install a sink. The nearest pipe I can plug into is19 feet
away. The drain will be as follows:
18" drop from sink bottom to bottom of crawl space joists,
Run along bottom of joists for 19',
Rise 5" and plug into existing drain pipe within joists.
Thus, I will have no slope, but a 13" head. Will it work?

If "work" means perform to accepted standards, then no. You should
find another, lower drain to tie into. Or if structural requirements
allow, run a 1.5" drain through the joists. You could use copper DWV
to minimize the drain outer diameter.

Cheers, Wayne

Posted to alt.home.repair

You don't say what kind of sink you will be draining, but regardless, it
will drain extremely slow. The water in the sink will need to develop
sufficient force to 'push' or move all the water in the 19' run up the 5"
rise at the end. While this might sound like a small matter somewhat like
a regular trap, but a regular trap only has about a cup of water that needs
to push an inch or so.

Consider how hard you must blow into one end of a garden hose to push the
water out the other end when it is held 5" higher.