Posted to alt.home.repair
Don Young Don Young is offline

Default Plumbing drain question

"G Mulcaster" wrote in message
On Wed, 04 Apr 2007 22:14:47 GMT, Speedy Jim wrote:

G Mulcaster wrote:

Hi Gang,

I want to install a sink. The nearest pipe I can plug into is19 feet
away. The drain will be as follows:

18" drop from sink bottom to bottom of crawl space joists,

Run along bottom of joists for 19',

Rise 5" and plug into existing drain pipe within joists.

Thus, I will have no slope, but a 13" head. Will it work?

Thanks, Gary

Should be interesting.......

Technically, it will work.

Assume you won't be seeking any permits/inspection.

No permits/inspection.

Thanks, Gary

Even though it will initially drain, I think it will not be satisfactory
because it is not vented, there is no slope, and the trapped water will make
drainage very slow and subject to stoppages as foreign matter settles out of
the water. Despite what some think, installing things contrary to code
provisions is usually not a good idea.

Run your drain to wherever the drain line goes low enough for a suitable
slope and provide a vent near the new sink if you want it to be satisfactory
over the long haul. Also install cleanouts for such a long run.

Don Young