Posted to alt.home.repair

Default painting worry

Hi,

I just finished painting my porch yesterday (Benjamin Moore Porch
Latex). It was cool out (50s) and shady. My worry is that today it
has done nothing but rain. Steady and heavy. Should I worry? My
last coat was on ~12 hours before the deluge came, but being that it
is fresh paint, etc. I touched the paint and it seems dry (wet from
rain) but a bit "oily" and didn't know if that was the paint or just
my imagination...

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Rich

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Rich" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi,

I just finished painting my porch yesterday (Benjamin Moore Porch
Latex). It was cool out (50s) and shady. My worry is that today it
has done nothing but rain. Steady and heavy. Should I worry? My
last coat was on ~12 hours before the deluge came, but being that it
is fresh paint, etc. I touched the paint and it seems dry (wet from
rain) but a bit "oily" and didn't know if that was the paint or just
my imagination...

Should be OK if the surface was dried enough.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 4, 4:48 pm, "Edwin Pawlowski" wrote:
"Rich" wrote in message

oups.com...

Hi,

I just finished painting my porch yesterday (Benjamin Moore Porch
Latex). It was cool out (50s) and shady. My worry is that today it
has done nothing but rain. Steady and heavy. Should I worry? My
last coat was on ~12 hours before the deluge came, but being that it
is fresh paint, etc. I touched the paint and it seems dry (wet from
rain) but a bit "oily" and didn't know if that was the paint or just
my imagination...

Should be OK if the surface was dried enough.

Thanks...unfortunately, I just noticed tiny pinhead sized blistering.
Nothing big, but not good. I also noticed one spot where the paint
itself literally washed off. Funny enough, there were 3 coats of
latex applied within 2 days, and it still washed off. Needless to
say, I'm not a happy camper right now. I hope it will just mean a
touch-up or two and not a strip and repaint job.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks...unfortunately, I just noticed tiny pinhead sized blistering.
Nothing big, but not good. I also noticed one spot where the paint
itself literally washed off. Funny enough, there were 3 coats of
latex applied within 2 days, and it still washed off. Needless to
say, I'm not a happy camper right now. I hope it will just mean a
touch-up or two and not a strip and repaint job.

Latex is fairly forgiving. Let it go for a while. Then, sand the nasty
areas and recoat them. Feather the last touch-up coat. Essentially,
feathering is using a semi-dry brush (or roller) around the patched area
where you are blending into the old paint. That way, your touch-ups will
mostly be invisible.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Rich" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi,

I just finished painting my porch yesterday (Benjamin Moore Porch
Latex). It was cool out (50s) and shady. My worry is that today it
has done nothing but rain. Steady and heavy. Should I worry? My
last coat was on ~12 hours before the deluge came, but being that it
is fresh paint, etc. I touched the paint and it seems dry (wet from
rain) but a bit "oily" and didn't know if that was the paint or just
my imagination...

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Rich

Here's an idea: Check the weather before you paint exterior surfaces. If a
paint can says it's OK to paint when it's 50 degrees, add 10 degrees. If it
says it takes 24 hours to dry completely, it means 72 hours. These are the
rules. Any evidence to the contrary is a fairy tale.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 4, 5:40 pm, "JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:
"Rich" wrote in message

[...]

Thanks for the info...
Well, as much as I understand your point, this is my first house. And
while that is not an excuse, you'd think the manufacturer's
recommendations of time and temp. would be right. I will remember
that for next time. But, unfortunately, with 60 degree temps and 3
days to paint a coat or two, one would think that would be enough
time!? I guess not. But thanks for the input anyway.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Rich" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi,

I just finished painting my porch yesterday (Benjamin Moore Porch
Latex). It was cool out (50s) and shady. My worry is that today it
has done nothing but rain. Steady and heavy. Should I worry? My
last coat was on ~12 hours before the deluge came, but being that it
is fresh paint, etc. I touched the paint and it seems dry (wet from
rain) but a bit "oily" and didn't know if that was the paint or just
my imagination...

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Rich

Wait. Get a good book, Sudoku, Playboy, some beer. Put a comfortable chair
out there. Keep an eye on it while it dries. Give it a few days.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

oups.com...
"Rich" wrote in message

[...]

The manufacturer's specs are for a perfect world. Every now and then, you'll
get three perfect, balmy dry days and you'll think "Damn - I should've
painted something". But, it's rare. :-)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 4, 6:13 pm, "JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:
"Rich" wrote in message

oups.com...

On Apr 4, 5:40 pm, "JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:
"Rich" wrote in message

groups.com...

[...]

I guess it's like cars and the estimated MPGs - only in a perfect
world...thanks again.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Since this is your first house, get yourself some Muralo or Devoe paint
sometime. You'll be amazed at the results. The price may shock you, but oh
well.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 4, 4:28 pm, "Rich" wrote:
Hi,

I just finished painting my porch yesterday (Benjamin Moore Porch
Latex). It was cool out (50s) and shady. My worry is that today it
has done nothing but rain. Steady and heavy. Should I worry? My
last coat was on ~12 hours before the deluge came, but being that it
is fresh paint, etc. I touched the paint and it seems dry (wet from
rain) but a bit "oily" and didn't know if that was the paint or just
my imagination...

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Rich

if you live in a high humidity and/or rainy area it is hard to get a
good three [or more if needed] drying days in a row before you start
priming. also, pressure washing pushes the dirt off but injects water
into the surface of wood. painting is not for weekends only, it must
follow the weather and shady side of the home. look like a pro by not
dragging out the project: by rotating your painting of only one side
of the home every other year and then waiting for peeling or
weathering and repeating the cycle according to your needs. it will
surprise you how the windy side and hot sunny side want a new coat
more often than other sides. weather permitting you can prime after
dark with lighting, but top coats need daylight for proper visibility
for application. helpers must park their cellphones before climbing
ladders.

Posted to alt.home.repair
3G 3G is offline

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in message
| "Rich" wrote in message
| oups.com...
| Hi,
|
| I just finished painting my porch yesterday (Benjamin Moore Porch
| Latex). It was cool out (50s) and shady. My worry is that today it
| has done nothing but rain. Steady and heavy. Should I worry? My
| last coat was on ~12 hours before the deluge came, but being that it
| is fresh paint, etc. I touched the paint and it seems dry (wet from
| rain) but a bit "oily" and didn't know if that was the paint or just
| my imagination...
|
| Any ideas?
|
| Thanks,
| Rich
|

| Here's an idea: Check the weather before you paint exterior surfaces.
If a
| paint can says it's OK to paint when it's 50 degrees, add 10 degrees.
If it
| says it takes 24 hours to dry completely, it means 72 hours. These are
the
| rules. Any evidence to the contrary is a fairy tale.

and if the can says "it covers 400 sq. ft."
it really only covers 300 sq.ft.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"3G" wrote in message ...

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in message
| "Rich" wrote in message
| oups.com...
| Hi,
|
| I just finished painting my porch yesterday (Benjamin Moore Porch
| Latex). It was cool out (50s) and shady. My worry is that today it
| has done nothing but rain. Steady and heavy. Should I worry? My
| last coat was on ~12 hours before the deluge came, but being that it
| is fresh paint, etc. I touched the paint and it seems dry (wet from
| rain) but a bit "oily" and didn't know if that was the paint or just
| my imagination...
|
| Any ideas?
|
| Thanks,
| Rich
|

| Here's an idea: Check the weather before you paint exterior surfaces.
If a
| paint can says it's OK to paint when it's 50 degrees, add 10 degrees.
If it
| says it takes 24 hours to dry completely, it means 72 hours. These are
the
| rules. Any evidence to the contrary is a fairy tale.

and if the can says "it covers 400 sq. ft."
it really only covers 300 sq.ft.

Another veteran of truth! :-)