Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Dumb Window Screen Question

Just bought a 10 yr old house last year. We removed the window screens to
clean them, and now I can't seem to reinstall the taller ones upstairs. The
tallest screens are all the same height, and I can install the ones on the
lower level, but they all seem about 1/8 inch too tall on the upper level
and won't reinstall. I slide the top under the window frame, but then can't
get the bottom above the bottom of the frame. If I put in the bottom first,
I can't get the top in. Even if I get on an extension ladder outside, I
can't get them in.

What am I doing wrong?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Dimitrios Paskoudniakis wrote:
Just bought a 10 yr old house last year. We removed the window screens to
clean them, and now I can't seem to reinstall the taller ones upstairs. The
tallest screens are all the same height, and I can install the ones on the
lower level, but they all seem about 1/8 inch too tall on the upper level
and won't reinstall. I slide the top under the window frame, but then can't
get the bottom above the bottom of the frame. If I put in the bottom first,
I can't get the top in. Even if I get on an extension ladder outside, I
can't get them in.

What am I doing wrong?

Upside down .. bottom of screen is flat and doesn't have a groove to fit
into the frame?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Dimitrios Paskoudniakis" wrote in message
Just bought a 10 yr old house last year. We removed the window screens to
clean them, and now I can't seem to reinstall the taller ones upstairs.
The tallest screens are all the same height, and I can install the ones on
the lower level, but they all seem about 1/8 inch too tall on the upper
level and won't reinstall. I slide the top under the window frame, but
then can't get the bottom above the bottom of the frame. If I put in the
bottom first, I can't get the top in. Even if I get on an extension
ladder outside, I can't get them in.

What am I doing wrong?

Just keep playing with them from side to side or flip it around front to
back I suppose, you just aren't catching the groove up top.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Jim Tiberio" wrote in message

"Dimitrios Paskoudniakis" wrote in message
Just bought a 10 yr old house last year. We removed the window screens
to clean them, and now I can't seem to reinstall the taller ones
upstairs. The tallest screens are all the same height, and I can install
the ones on the lower level, but they all seem about 1/8 inch too tall on
the upper level and won't reinstall. I slide the top under the window
frame, but then can't get the bottom above the bottom of the frame. If I
put in the bottom first, I can't get the top in. Even if I get on an
extension ladder outside, I can't get them in.

What am I doing wrong?

Just keep playing with them from side to side or flip it around front to
back I suppose, you just aren't catching the groove up top.

Oh please. Of course I'm catching the groove up top. If I flip front to
back, the tabs that hold the screen in will be on the outside. We're
talking about maybe 1/8 of an inch in height.

There is a support about halfway up the screen. I find if I push it
outward, while pulling the bottom inward, I can get the bottom to fit, but
my fingers are pinched and if I let go, the screen just pops out and falls
to the ground. Tomorrow I'll try that approach by getting on the ladder
from the outside.

Surely there must be an easier approach.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Art Art is offline

Have you double checked the design of the ones on the lower floor that you
were successful with. Maybe they are slightly different and belong on the
top floor.

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 1, 3:41 pm, "Dimitrios Paskoudniakis"
wrote:
Just bought a 10 yr old house last year. We removed the window screens to
clean them, and now I can't seem to reinstall the taller ones upstairs. The
tallest screens are all the same height, and I can install the ones on the
lower level, but they all seem about 1/8 inch too tall on the upper level
and won't reinstall. I slide the top under the window frame, but then can't
get the bottom above the bottom of the frame. If I put in the bottom first,
I can't get the top in. Even if I get on an extension ladder outside, I
can't get them in.

What am I doing wrong?

Most screens can only be removed and installed from the outside. On
mine there are two small springs at the top of the frame that have to
be compressed to get the screen frame in. Insert the top of the
screen frame (the one with the springs) first into the slot then slide
it up to the top. Lever the bottom in and give a hard push upward
with your thumbsfrom the bottom of the frame. Mine are so tight that
i have to use a putty knife underneath the frame to lever it up over
the lip of the slot.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I've never seen a screen that is removed from the outside. That wouldn't be
very secure either. You need to make sure the window glass above the screen
is being pushed all the way up. They will drop a small amount when you take
the screen out.

--
Steve Barker

YOU should be the one
controlling YOUR car.
Check out:
www.lightsout.org

"Dimitrios Paskoudniakis" wrote in message
Just bought a 10 yr old house last year. We removed the window screens to
clean them, and now I can't seem to reinstall the taller ones upstairs.
The tallest screens are all the same height, and I can install the ones on
the lower level, but they all seem about 1/8 inch too tall on the upper
level and won't reinstall. I slide the top under the window frame, but
then can't get the bottom above the bottom of the frame. If I put in the
bottom first, I can't get the top in. Even if I get on an extension
ladder outside, I can't get them in.

What am I doing wrong?

Posted to alt.home.repair

I used to have screens like this, and they could only be put in from
the inside. They could be removed from the outside by prying them up,
but they wouldn't go back in that way no matter what was tried. The
easiest way of all to get them in was to have someone on the inside
pulling on the tabs and flexing the screen and someone on the outside
pushing and making sure the screen didn't pop back out. Either that
or use three hands on the inside....

Jo Ann

On Apr 1, 9:41 pm, "Steve Barker" wrote:
[...]

What am I doing wrong?- Hide quoted text -

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 1 Apr 2007 20:08:45 -0400, "Dimitrios Paskoudniakis"
wrote:

[...]

Are the window casings vinyl? Of so, wait for a hot sunny day,
and keep the screens cool until you're ready to put them in.
That 1/8" is easily within the thermal expansion range of a
tall window. Alternatively, if the screens only catch at
the top and bottom, jam the top in place, and have someone else
bow the middle out by pushing gently on the frames while
you wedge the bottoms into place and latch them.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Perhaps just add 'tabs' to the bottom so you can pull hard. Small holes
drilled through the frame (left and right) + some wire or rope with a
knot on the exterior surface.

Dimitrios Paskoudniakis wrote:
Just bought a 10 yr old house last year. We removed the window screens to
clean them, and now I can't seem to reinstall the taller ones upstairs. The
tallest screens are all the same height, and I can install the ones on the
lower level, but they all seem about 1/8 inch too tall on the upper level
and won't reinstall. I slide the top under the window frame, but then can't
get the bottom above the bottom of the frame. If I put in the bottom first,
I can't get the top in. Even if I get on an extension ladder outside, I
can't get them in.

What am I doing wrong?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Good idea.

I discovered that 3 of my screens on the first floor have the pull tabs on
the bottom, and I need to install 4 on the second floor. My first action
will be to move the 3 with pull tabs to the second floor, then I only need
to add tabs to 1 window. I can then reinstall the other screens on the
first floor from the outside if needed. Thanks.

t...