Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Total newbie...how to fix a garbage disposal....

Believe it or not, I can't even figure out how to get that black
rubber splash guard thing out so I can at least look in there to see
if I can see what's wrong.

HELP

John

Posted to alt.home.repair

"RocketMan" wrote in message
oups.com...
Believe it or not, I can't even figure out how to get that black
rubber splash guard thing out so I can at least look in there to see
if I can see what's wrong.

HELP

John

Much of the time, you don't need to remove the splash guard. What is not
working correctly? Is it totally dead? Strange noises? Not draining?

If the brand name is Insinkerator, there are no sharp blades inside. Rather,
they've got what are called "hammers". It's safe to reach in. If you think
someone might come along and flip the switch, then shut off the circuit
breaker.

Look around on this link:
http://www.insinkerator.com/disposers/index.shtml

It lists a tutorial for installation, which should tell you how to do the
opposite, if you still want to get the rubber thing off. And, there should
be PDF-format owners manuals available, too.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 27 Mar 2007 11:47:44 -0700, "RocketMan"
wrote:

Believe it or not, I can't even figure out how to get that black
rubber splash guard thing out so I can at least look in there to see
if I can see what's wrong.

HELP

John

There is a hex socket for a large hex ranch right in the bottom
center of the disposal. Insert the hex wrench that fits and turn and
you will have 'fixed' the problem.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Believe it or not, I can't even figure out how to get that black
rubber splash guard thing out so I can at least look in there to see
if I can see what's wrong.

There is a hex socket for a large hex ranch right in the bottom
center of the disposal. Insert the hex wrench that fits and turn and
you will have 'fixed' the problem.

Well, if we're into guessing games, I'll play too.

Before resorting to complex tools like hex wrenches,
look for a reset button on the side or base of the
unit. Press it. Try running the disposal...

| Gary Player. |

http://www.malch.com/ Shpx gur PQN. |
Posted to alt.home.repair

No no,

I am certain that something 'bad' fell in and I want to get it out. I
didn't think it'd be THAT hard to remove the rubber thing but its
resisting all my attempts.

I'll check the link to see if there is a technique to it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"RocketMan" wrote in message
ups.com...
No no,

I am certain that something 'bad' fell in and I want to get it out. I
didn't think it'd be THAT hard to remove the rubber thing but its
resisting all my attempts.

I'll check the link to see if there is a technique to it.

Pay attention! You do NOT need to remove the rubber thing to remove foreign
objects. Just reach in. If your hand's too big, removing the rubber thing
won't help much.

Reach in. You'll feel a flat bottom surface, which spins, and you should be
able to spin it easily with your fingers. Near the outer edge of the
spinning surface, you'll feel two or three blocks of metal, not exactly
rectangular in shape. Those are the "hammers". Each hammer should be able to
pivot a bit around the fastener that holds them onto the flat surface. Those
"blocks" sometimes don't pivot because of sludge or a bit of corrosion, but
that won't stop the entire round surface from spinning, UNLESS a small
foreign object is wedged between a block and the wall of a disposal.

Besides hard objects like bones or silverware, fibrous foods can end up
being spun into rope and freeze the disposal solid. Kale stems are a great
example. A clump of this stuff will feel pretty obvious when you reach in.
If you can't pull it all out by hand, then there's a good reason to
uninstall the disposal so it's easier to reach inside, perhaps with a small
pair of pliers.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Jeff Wisnia" wrote in message
JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

"RocketMan" wrote in message
ups.com...

No no,

I am certain that something 'bad' fell in and I want to get it out. I
didn't think it'd be THAT hard to remove the rubber thing but its
resisting all my attempts.

I'll check the link to see if there is a technique to it.

Pay attention! You do NOT need to remove the rubber thing to remove
foreign objects. Just reach in. If your hand's too big, removing the
rubber thing won't help much.

Maybe I should suggest he borrows a large size speculum from an ob/gy's
office. He could use that with a flashlight to "look into things". G

Jeff

Maybe he's inexperienced in such matters. :-)

Posted to alt.home.repair

"RocketMan" wrote in message
oups.com...
Believe it or not, I can't even figure out how to get that black
rubber splash guard thing out so I can at least look in there to see
if I can see what's wrong.

HELP

John

Please, give us some hints:

Does it spin at all?

Does it hum or not when you flip the switch?

Does it spin, and the contents not empty?

What kind of a disposal is it?

These things will help narrow it down tremendously.

By the way, the black rubber splash guard thing doesn't come out. Take a
flashlight and fold back the fingers of the black rubber splash guard thing
and look in there to see if there's anything obvious like tennis balls or
lug nuts that may be your problem.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

"RocketMan" wrote in message
ups.com...
No no,

I am certain that something 'bad' fell in and I want to get it out. I
didn't think it'd be THAT hard to remove the rubber thing but its
resisting all my attempts.

I'll check the link to see if there is a technique to it.

Oh, good, then. You don't need us.

Another crisis solved.

I'm done.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

Jeff Wisnia writes:

RocketMan wrote:
No no,
I am certain that something 'bad' fell in and I want to get it out.
didn't think it'd be THAT hard to remove the rubber thing but its
resisting all my attempts.
I'll check the link to see if there is a technique to it.

On most disposers you have to remove the motor/grinder unit from below
to remove that rubber splash guard.

It is sandwiched between the parts which attach to the sink and the
motor/grinder portion.

Capice now?

On the unit I have (Insinkerator) there is one rubber guard
that you just lift out. There's another one below it that doesn't
want to come out. Not that it matters. As other posters have said,
you don't need to remove either to reach in and remove a blockage.

Of course if you have big hands, you might need to ask for help
or use a tool like a forceps.

Get a flashlight, push the rubber aside and look around in there.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Dan Espen" wrote in message
Jeff Wisnia writes:

RocketMan wrote:
[...]

{sarcasm ahead}

What's a flashlight? Are there small ones and big ones for different
situations?

{End sarcasm}

Posted to alt.home.repair

RocketMan wrote:
No no,

I am certain that something 'bad' fell in and I want to get it out.

If it went IN through that hole, it can come back OUT. Make really,
really sure you have the power off. (Remember that Steven King novel? I
think it was Firestarter.....) Then reach in and feel around. You'll
find it.

it might be stuck / jammed, in which case you can rotate the inner
portion of the disposer using the hex wrench, and then try again to feel
the object.

The 'rubber thing' stays with the sink after you remove the whole
disposer from underneath. It won't come off from above.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote

What's a flashlight? Are there small ones and big ones for different
situations?

{End sarcasm}

Sheesh. Go to the hardware store. Ask for a road flare.

Take it home and go to the disposal. Pull the cap and scrape the top of the
flare with the rough tip of the cap. In a flash, you will have light.
Insert the big lighted thing into the disposal. Look around until your
eyesight fails.

Some people.

Steve ;-)

Posted to alt.home.repair

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Posted to alt.home.repair

Steve B wrote:

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote

What's a flashlight? Are there small ones and big ones for different
situations?

{End sarcasm}

Sheesh. Go to the hardware store. Ask for a road flare.

Take it home and go to the disposal. Pull the cap and scrape the top of the
flare with the rough tip of the cap. In a flash, you will have light.
Insert the big lighted thing into the disposal. Look around until your
eyesight fails.

Some people.

Steve ;-)

I propose we move this thread to alt.hvac. G

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Posted to alt.home.repair

If you really want to remove the rubber splash guard you have to unhook the
whole unit from under the sink. Once you have the unit down the rubber
guard pops right off.

"RocketMan" wrote in message
oups.com...
Believe it or not, I can't even figure out how to get that black
rubber splash guard thing out so I can at least look in there to see
if I can see what's wrong.

HELP

John

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Oren" wrote in message
On Tue, 27 Mar 2007 17:27:47 -0500, Jeff Wisnia
wrote:

Steve B wrote:

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote

What's a flashlight? Are there small ones and big ones for different
situations?

{End sarcasm}

Sheesh. Go to the hardware store. Ask for a road flare.

Take it home and go to the disposal. Pull the cap and scrape the top of
the
flare with the rough tip of the cap. In a flash, you will have light.
Insert the big lighted thing into the disposal. Look around until your
eyesight fails.

Some people.

Steve ;-)

I propose we move this thread to alt.hvac. G

Jeff

I Third that. If the disposal heats and is not vented.

--
Oren

Of course, this will have to be first approved by a CERTIFIED hvac tekkie.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 27 Mar 2007 17:27:47 -0500, Jeff Wisnia
wrote:

Steve B wrote:

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote

What's a flashlight? Are there small ones and big ones for different
situations?

{End sarcasm}

Sheesh. Go to the hardware store. Ask for a road flare.

Take it home and go to the disposal. Pull the cap and scrape the top of the
flare with the rough tip of the cap. In a flash, you will have light.
Insert the big lighted thing into the disposal. Look around until your
eyesight fails.

Some people.

Steve ;-)

I propose we move this thread to alt.hvac. G

Jeff

I Third that. If the disposal heats and is not vented.

--
Oren

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On 27 Mar 2007 12:48:01 -0700, "RocketMan"
wrote:

No no,

I am certain that something 'bad' fell in and I want to get it out. I
didn't think it'd be THAT hard to remove the rubber thing but its
resisting all my attempts.

I'll check the link to see if there is a technique to it.

Stop trying to remove the rubber thing. I don't think it can be done
without taking the whole thing out.

Make sure no one can start the machine, and stick your hand in and
feel around. Maybe take a flashlight in there with you, and you can
use a 1/2 to 1 inch tube to look inside. It won't be troubled by the
rubber thing.

BTW, if it has stopped trying to turn, you'll have to push the red
button on the bottom to get it to try again.

And InSinkEerator makes iirc 80% of all the disposals in teh USA.
Many don't have that brandname, but they all are built the same. (The
others are 10 dollars cheaper and have a shorter warrantee, and for
all I know might be made more cheaply, but they function in the same
way.)

If your hand is too big, stick your daughter's hand in there. Tell
your wife you're teaching her not to feel fear. Seriously, kids are
good at reaching things we can't.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Jeff Wisnia wrote:

Maybe I should suggest he borrows a large size speculum from an
ob/gy's office. He could use that with a flashlight to "look into
things". G

Borrow? Doesn't everybody have one? They sell 'em at Harbor Freight.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Steve B wrote:
"Oren" wrote in message

On Tue, 27 Mar 2007 17:27:47 -0500, Jeff Wisnia
wrote:

Steve B wrote:

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote

[...]

Well, per the Merriam Webster Online Dictionary:

Main Entry: cer·ti·fi·able
Pronunciation: "s&r-t&-'fI-&-b&l
Function: adjective

1 a : capable of being certified certifiable teachers b : GENUINE,
AUTHENTIC a certifiable liar a certifiable movie star

2 : fit to be certified as insane : CRAZY downright certifiable behavior

***************

Is you thinking the first definition or the second?

Jeff

Gee. Now I'm confused. Let me test this ...............

can I use the words hvac tekkie, movie star, liar, CRAZY, and insane in the
same sentence .................

Wait, wait, I know this one. ...................

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

Steve B wrote:
"Oren" wrote in message

On Tue, 27 Mar 2007 17:27:47 -0500, Jeff Wisnia
wrote:

Steve B wrote:

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Believe it or not, I can't even figure out how to get that black
rubber splash guard thing out so I can at least look in there to see
if I can see what's wrong.

HELP

John

Before you try and disassemble it, post what is wrong.

tom @ www.CarFleaMarket.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Believe it or not, I can't even figure out how to get that black
rubber splash guard thing out so I can at least look in there to see
if I can see what's wrong.

HELP

John

Before you try and disassemble it, post what is wrong.

He's posting from google, a small step up the evolutionary ladder from web
tv. He'll never be back.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Thu, 29 Mar 2007 12:25:55 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:
HELP

John

Before you try and disassemble it, post what is wrong.

He's posting from google, a small step up the evolutionary ladder from web
tv. He'll never be back.

ROTFLOL. So true.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Believe it or not, I can't even figure out how to get that black
rubber splash guard thing out so I can at least look in there to see
if I can see what's wrong.

HELP

John

Before you try and disassemble it, post what is wrong.

tom @ www.CarFleaMarket.com

He's posting from google, a small step up the evolutionary ladder from web
tv. He'll never be back.

Tisk, Tisk, the problem could be as easy as pressing the overload
reset.