Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Total newbie...how to fix a garbage disposal....

"Dan Espen" wrote in message
Jeff Wisnia writes:

RocketMan wrote:
No no,
I am certain that something 'bad' fell in and I want to get it out.
didn't think it'd be THAT hard to remove the rubber thing but its
resisting all my attempts.
I'll check the link to see if there is a technique to it.

On most disposers you have to remove the motor/grinder unit from below
to remove that rubber splash guard.

It is sandwiched between the parts which attach to the sink and the
motor/grinder portion.

Capice now?

On the unit I have (Insinkerator) there is one rubber guard
that you just lift out. There's another one below it that doesn't
want to come out. Not that it matters. As other posters have said,
you don't need to remove either to reach in and remove a blockage.

Of course if you have big hands, you might need to ask for help
or use a tool like a forceps.

Get a flashlight, push the rubber aside and look around in there.

{sarcasm ahead}

What's a flashlight? Are there small ones and big ones for different
situations?

{End sarcasm}