Posted to alt.home.repair

Default New Stove Questions

My wife and I are about to replace our 30-year old drop-in Frigidaire electric
stove that came with the house.

Three questions:

1. Is it better to stick with a drop-in, rather than slide-in stove/oven, even
though the selection of drop-in's is limited 2 or 3...and the price is higher?

2. My wife likes the flat top surface, rather than burners. Manufacturers charge
several hundred dollars more for the flat top. Is it worth the difference?
Also, how does the flat top surface hold up to scratches, cast-iron pans, etc?

3. Any big difference in quality and reliability between the top major brands?

Thanks!
Scott
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Scott" wrote in message
[...]

Why does your wife prefer the flat top stoves? (I think I know the answer,
but I don't want to assume anything).

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 25, 7:02 am, "JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:
"Scott" wrote in message

[...]

but I don't want to assume anything).- Hide quoted text -

One factor to be aware of going in, is that with the ceramic flattop
ranges, if it does break, it ain;t cheap to fix. A friend recently
put a Hotpoint one in a vacation house he occasionally rents out.
First renter put a quarter size chip and 6" crack in it. It still
works though. I checked online to see how much it would cost to
replace. It was $300 for the assembly. The stove only cost him
$350.

It is easy to clean though and pretty neat. It heats up very fast.
And I think you'd have to do something pretty stupid to crack it, but
if I had crazy kids or a rental unit, I don't think I'd get one.

Posted to alt.home.repair

ups.com...
"Scott" wrote in message

[...]

They're great for people who like to constantly spill large amounts of food.
Some spillage is inevitable, but some people can totally wreck an entire
kitchen just making scrambled eggs, so I guess these flat stove tops are
perfect for those people.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Scott" wrote in message
My wife and I are about to replace our 30-year old drop-in Frigidaire
electric
stove that came with the house.

Three questions:

1. Is it better to stick with a drop-in, rather than slide-in stove/oven,
even
though the selection of drop-in's is limited 2 or 3...and the price is
higher?

It would depend on how much you have to modify the cabinets and maybe the
counter top. It might be a moderate job or extremely difficult. You may
not be able to find a modern drop in that will fit the hole either.

I fear you will have to pull the old one measeure and observe carefully
before you buy.

2. My wife likes the flat top surface, rather than burners.
Manufacturers charge
several hundred dollars more for the flat top. Is it worth the
difference?
Also, how does the flat top surface hold up to scratches, cast-iron
pans, etc?

I don't want one and I am the one who cleans the stove. You may need to buy
all new pans. And you never want to drop one. Glass is pretty easy to
scratch where ever it is used. I prefer a SS top and will pay extra to get
it if I have to. No matter what you spill or burn it can be cleaned. Did I
mention I do that for my wife?

3. Any big difference in quality and reliability between the top major
brands?

A quick trip to library and a read of consumer reports might answer this
better than us. Last time I checked GE was the one to avoid. Sears was made
my whirlpool. Our now 12 year old Sears has given us zero problems. At the
time of purchase their slide in was an easy retro for a drop in as the back
splash was optional.

Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

Hi,
Also they use more energy.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Scott" wrote in message
My wife and I are about to replace our 30-year old drop-in Frigidaire
electric
stove that came with the house.

Three questions:

1. Is it better to stick with a drop-in, rather than slide-in stove/oven,
even
though the selection of drop-in's is limited 2 or 3...and the price is
higher?

That depends on how you cook. And I can see you haven't shopped. Look at
Wolf and Dacor stoves. There are hundreds of drop in stoves, both in gas
and electric.

2. My wife likes the flat top surface, rather than burners.
Manufacturers charge
several hundred dollars more for the flat top. Is it worth the
difference?

Depends again on what you like. Flat tops are prettier and easier to
maintain. They also cost lots more to fix.

Also, how does the flat top surface hold up to scratches, cast-iron
pans, etc?

Pretty good, but nothing lasts forever. And you get what you pay for.
Spendier models last somewhat better.

3. Any big difference in quality and reliability between the top major
brands?

Couldn't say. I'm a gas man.

Thanks!
Scott

Posted to alt.home.repair

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

"Scott" wrote in message
[...]

Joe:

She thinks it looks cool.

Scott
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Scott" wrote in message

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

"Scott" wrote in message
[...]

Well, I know this is highly unlikely to happen, but she might want to ask to
see the instruction manual for one of these stoves, and take a few minutes
to read about "how to clean" and "which pots you can't use" - ***BEFORE***
buying the thing.

Posted to alt.home.repair

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

"Scott" wrote in message

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

"Scott" wrote in message
[...]

Your point has been well taken. After reading your post and others, she decided to
opt for the standard burners, instead of the ceramic flat top. She wants to take the
money we'll save and buy a new dishwasher. This sound like a win-win situation, don't
you think?

Scott

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 25 Mar 2007 20:08:07 -0500, Scott wrote:

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

"Scott" wrote in message

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

"Scott" wrote in message
[...]

Good move! In addition to all the other perils, the glass top could
crack if a heavy pot is accidentally dropped on it.

Happy cooking -- and happy dishwashing!

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Scott" wrote in message

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

"Scott" wrote in message

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

"Scott" wrote in message
[...]

I think so.

The main reason I've heard from people who love the flat tops is that
they're easier to clean. But, so many normal gas stoves have sealed burners,
so cleaning isn't such a big issue. And, if you're trashing your burners
with boiled over milk and other mistakes, why not just learn to pay closer
attention?