Posted to alt.home.repair
Colbyt Colbyt is offline

Default New Stove Questions

"Scott" wrote in message
My wife and I are about to replace our 30-year old drop-in Frigidaire
electric
stove that came with the house.

Three questions:

1. Is it better to stick with a drop-in, rather than slide-in stove/oven,
even
though the selection of drop-in's is limited 2 or 3...and the price is
higher?

It would depend on how much you have to modify the cabinets and maybe the
counter top. It might be a moderate job or extremely difficult. You may
not be able to find a modern drop in that will fit the hole either.

I fear you will have to pull the old one measeure and observe carefully
before you buy.

2. My wife likes the flat top surface, rather than burners.
Manufacturers charge
several hundred dollars more for the flat top. Is it worth the
difference?
Also, how does the flat top surface hold up to scratches, cast-iron
pans, etc?

I don't want one and I am the one who cleans the stove. You may need to buy
all new pans. And you never want to drop one. Glass is pretty easy to
scratch where ever it is used. I prefer a SS top and will pay extra to get
it if I have to. No matter what you spill or burn it can be cleaned. Did I
mention I do that for my wife?

3. Any big difference in quality and reliability between the top major
brands?

A quick trip to library and a read of consumer reports might answer this
better than us. Last time I checked GE was the one to avoid. Sears was made
my whirlpool. Our now 12 year old Sears has given us zero problems. At the
time of purchase their slide in was an easy retro for a drop in as the back
splash was optional.