Posted to alt.home.repair

Default electric stove top questions

So we are considering replacing an approximately 40 year old Whirlpool
electric stovetop. All I know about the wiring is that it is 220, 2x30
circuit breakers. I don't know what type of wiring. The problem is
that most of the stoves I see today are 240/40 amp. I hate to think
that I have to have the breakers and wiring upgraded just to replace
the stovetop.

I did just find some GE stovetops that are listed as 220/30 AND 240/40
amp. I am wondering if this would work given the existing wiring and
breakers?

Michael

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Michael Bierman wrote:
So we are considering replacing an approximately 40 year old Whirlpool
electric stovetop. All I know about the wiring is that it is 220, 2x30
circuit breakers. I don't know what type of wiring. The problem is
that most of the stoves I see today are 240/40 amp. I hate to think
that I have to have the breakers and wiring upgraded just to replace
the stovetop.

I did just find some GE stovetops that are listed as 220/30 AND 240/40
amp. I am wondering if this would work given the existing wiring and
breakers?

Comment 1: I don't know what "220V/30A AND 240V/40A" implies -- would
have to see specifically what the manufacturer's wiring
recommendation/requirement is. Posting a link to the unit in question
would undoubtedly help.

Comment 2: From here I can't tell any about the wiring other than it
has a 30A breaker. Open the box and see what the wire that was run for
the circuit is and post back that information.

Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

Typically in the U.S., residential services are 120/240 volt, so you need to
see what the cooktop's rating is at the voltage you have, and also, as was
indicated by dpb, you may already have a forty amp feed to the thing

"Michael Bierman" wrote in message
ups.com...
So we are considering replacing an approximately 40 year old Whirlpool
electric stovetop. All I know about the wiring is that it is 220, 2x30
circuit breakers. I don't know what type of wiring. The problem is
that most of the stoves I see today are 240/40 amp. I hate to think
that I have to have the breakers and wiring upgraded just to replace
the stovetop.

I did just find some GE stovetops that are listed as 220/30 AND 240/40
amp. I am wondering if this would work given the existing wiring and
breakers?

Michael

Posted to alt.home.repair

dpb wrote:
Michael Bierman wrote:
So we are considering replacing an approximately 40 year old Whirlpool
electric stovetop. All I know about the wiring is that it is 220, 2x30
circuit breakers. I don't know what type of wiring. The problem is
that most of the stoves I see today are 240/40 amp. I hate to think
that I have to have the breakers and wiring upgraded just to replace
the stovetop.

I did just find some GE stovetops that are listed as 220/30 AND 240/40
amp. I am wondering if this would work given the existing wiring and
breakers?

Comment 1: I don't know what "220V/30A AND 240V/40A" implies -- would
have to see specifically what the manufacturer's wiring
recommendation/requirement is. Posting a link to the unit in question
would undoubtedly help.\

Here are 3 examples of what I was referring to. (linked to the GE site)
http://tinyurl.com/ylp99n

Comment 2: From here I can't tell any about the wiring other than it
has a 30A breaker. Open the box and see what the wire that was run for
the circuit is and post back that information.

Actually, there are 2 120V lines that are combined and dedicated to the
cook top.
Can you give me more of a clue what information you are looking for?
Gage? The wiring is old so I don't know if it will be readable but I
will try to check it out.

Thanks so much!

Michael

Posted to alt.home.repair

RBM (remove this) wrote:
Typically in the U.S., residential services are 120/240 volt, so you need to
see what the cooktop's rating is at the voltage you have,

I think the stove says "120/220, 60 cycles" but it is hard to read the
label. It doesn't mention the amp rating on the old stove.

and also, as was
indicated by dpb, you may already have a forty amp feed to the thing

I'm guessing not since the breakers for the cook top (two 120 breakers)
are marked "30". That's why I'm concerned about finding a cooktop that
will work. I'd like to avoid having to rewire to 40 amp if I can.
Assuming I do have to though, anyone know the relative cost of doing
that compared to running a gas line? For all purposes the distance for
gas and the electric are equal and there is a crawl space which should
make it a lot easier to do either.

Thanks!

Michael

"Michael Bierman" wrote in message
ups.com...
So we are considering replacing an approximately 40 year old Whirlpool
electric stovetop. All I know about the wiring is that it is 220, 2x30
circuit breakers. I don't know what type of wiring. The problem is
that most of the stoves I see today are 240/40 amp. I hate to think
that I have to have the breakers and wiring upgraded just to replace
the stovetop.

I did just find some GE stovetops that are listed as 220/30 AND 240/40
amp. I am wondering if this would work given the existing wiring and
breakers?

Michael

Posted to alt.home.repair

Michael Bierman wrote:
RBM (remove this) wrote:
[...]

you will need to rewire, not only to go fropm 30 to 40 amps but no
doubt 3 wire to 4 wire adding a dedicated ground.....

not a biggie get bat least 3 on site qutes from electricians.

do note what breaker cabinet you have, if its old and out of production
breakers may be expensive or hard to find.

Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

Try to have someone determine the gauge of the wires feeding the unit, and
if they are copper or aluminum. This will confirm the largest size breaker
that can be protecting the circuit. I can't imagine you not being able to
find a unit that operates on thirty amps.

"Michael Bierman" wrote in message
ps.com...

RBM (remove this) wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

Thank you all for your help!

Can anyone comment on what the expected costs of rewiring for 40 amps
relative to running a gas line would be? All things being equal, we're
probably better off going with gas for the cook top anyway. For all

wrote:
Michael Bierman wrote:
RBM (remove this) wrote:
[...]

Glass top stove incident Tom O'Connor Home Repair 9 July 19th 06 06:44 PM
Glass top stove incident cherrypielloyd Home Repair 1 July 19th 06 04:30 PM
Flat Top Stove Rick Home Repair 20 January 12th 06 09:17 PM
Bending Wood on the stove top Matt S Woodworking 9 December 16th 05 01:43 PM
How to take top off smooth top stove Craig Missildine Home Repair 1 August 28th 04 12:59 PM