TwoGuns

Default OT maybe. Questions for corn stove users

I am just curious about what kind of results some of you that live in
the city have had with your corn burning stoves.
1. How much corn does your stove burn per day in a winter month with
temperatures less than 32 degrees?
2. Where do you get your corn?
3. What kind of prices do you pay per bushel for your corn?
(56#/bushel)
4. Do you pick up your corn or is it delivered?
5. If delivered what are typical charges?
6. How do you stockpile your extra corn to keep it from mice & insect
infestation?
7. How often do you fill your stove with corn?
8. Is all the extra work storing the corn and loading it into your
stove worth the extra hassle over gas heat?
9. How much would you pay per bushel of corn before you would switch
back to gas?
10. Is your corn in bags or bulk?

If you have had other problems using your corn stove I would appreciate

hearing about them.
T.I.A

Dennis

Karl Townsend

A 50,000 BTU stove uses about 2 bushel of corn per day. Here in the north
country they are mostely used a a supplemental heat source for cold weather.
Units larger than 50,00 BTU are just beginning to appear. 60 bushel of corn
(one month) fills a pickup truck, its bulky stuff. I'll leave it others as
to how a city slicker obtains corn. Most people in this area just buy an old
gravity box and have it filled during harvest.

Some notes to consider: The corn must be EXTREMELY dry to burn well. Many
early stoves have design flaws, they are for sale cheap on the used market.
Clinker formation and frequent cleaning have been common issues. Mixing with
oyster shells seems to help but cuts into your cost savings.

In my view the stove design is still in its infancy. We're seeing larger
units and boilers appearing. I want to see how my neighbors like these
before I purchase. I'm still burning wood. I think I'll make the switch in
another two years.

Karl

wayne mak

Not sure about corn but I burn about 3 tons of coal a year, that will heat
my 2200 SF house for the winter. Its chilly on the below zero nights and in
2 years we have kicked on the electric heat about 10 days. Coal dropped in
my driveway this year was $165 per ton, I only needed 2 tons this year. I
found someone wanting coal removed from a house he was selling so it was
free. This guy had it in bags buried in his back yard just in case he needed
it. He dug it up and loaded the bags into my truck. Coal makes a good deal
of ash so that needs to be delt with. I seem to find a spot in the yard that
needs to be filled so thats what I have done with the ash. I does require
No concern of water, mice or much else with coal. You do need wood to get it
going and once going if the clinkers don't form (good coal) I can burn for 3
weeks before needing to burn out and remove the build up of clinkers and
other non burning things. If its crap coal (high iron content) I 1 week I
will need to clean the large clinkers.
oups.com...