Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Plumbing jargon?

Can anyone point me to some national (U.S.) organization
of "Plumbers" wherein I might find definitions of their
terms?
I am particularly interested in the definitions of
sewer line
main (line)
branch (lines).
According to the company that cleaned my "sewer line"
the "main" and "branch" lines are different and that I only
paid to have my "sewer line" cleaned the first time therefore
the guarantee was ONLY on the sewer line. When I called them out
after three weeks (guarantee 6 months) the blockage was now in the "main"
line so they charged me again.
McM

Posted to alt.home.repair

Xeno Chauvin wrote:

Can anyone point me to some national (U.S.) organization
of "Plumbers" wherein I might find definitions of their
terms?
I am particularly interested in the definitions of
sewer line
main (line)
branch (lines).
According to the company that cleaned my "sewer line"
the "main" and "branch" lines are different and that I only
paid to have my "sewer line" cleaned the first time therefore
the guarantee was ONLY on the sewer line. When I called them out
after three weeks (guarantee 6 months) the blockage was now in the "main"
line so they charged me again.
McM

The terms get murky and no doubt vary round the country
due to regional differences.

The US doesn't have a truly "National" Plumbing code
similar to the NEC for electrical.

Take a look at:
http://www.stpaul.gov/code/lc338.html
for one definition.
The house sewer can also be called a "lateral"
running off the city sewer "Main".

Google around some of those terms; I doubt you'll find
an entirely satisfactory answer.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Xeno Chauvin" wrote in message
Can anyone point me to some national (U.S.) organization
of "Plumbers" wherein I might find definitions of their
terms?
I am particularly interested in the definitions of
sewer line
main (line)
branch (lines).
According to the company that cleaned my "sewer line"
the "main" and "branch" lines are different and that I only
paid to have my "sewer line" cleaned the first time therefore
the guarantee was ONLY on the sewer line. When I called them out
after three weeks (guarantee 6 months) the blockage was now in the "main"
line so they charged me again.
McM

To me the sewer line is what your house main would tie into, Most likely
could be called the city sewer line. The main is what is coming from your
house tying into the city sewer line. The branch lines would be the From the
sinks, lavi's, water closets ( toilets), showers, washing machine, They
would tie into your house Main.
The branch would be a considerable amount of work access might not be
that easy. Some homes may not have a clean out piped in. Then it's down the
vent with the snake. Maybe they should of explained this better when they
snaked the sewer line. At any rate you will most likely have to pay, they
might cut you a deal doesn't hurt to try. It sounds like what I'm calling a
house main there calling a sewer line. So the best thing is have them
explained to you go with who dose the work definition. Also most warranties
are worth the paper there written on when comes to service work.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Is the depth large enough for laying wine bottles in there?

--
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the
intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well

"Xeno Chauvin" wrote in message
Can anyone point me to some national (U.S.) organization
of "Plumbers" wherein I might find definitions of their
terms?
I am particularly interested in the definitions of
sewer line
main (line)
branch (lines).
According to the company that cleaned my "sewer line"
the "main" and "branch" lines are different and that I only
paid to have my "sewer line" cleaned the first time therefore
the guarantee was ONLY on the sewer line. When I called them out
after three weeks (guarantee 6 months) the blockage was now in the "main"
line so they charged me again.
McM

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 18 Mar 2007 16:26:03 -0400, "betsyb"
wrote:

Is the depth large enough for laying wine bottles in there?

Relate this to sewer line, main, etc...

Hiccup!

--
Oren

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Is the depth large enough for laying wine bottles in there?

Relate this to sewer line, main, etc...

Hiccup!

--
Oren

"The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas

You are a customer, not a plumber. Why don't you ask *them* to produce a
diagram showing what they mean. They might be perfectly right and (if they
are) it shouldn't take much to prove this to you.
--
Peace,
BobJ

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Xeno Chauvin" wrote in message
Can anyone point me to some national (U.S.) organization
of "Plumbers" wherein I might find definitions of their
terms?
I am particularly interested in the definitions of
sewer line
main (line)
branch (lines).
According to the company that cleaned my "sewer line"
the "main" and "branch" lines are different and that I only
paid to have my "sewer line" cleaned the first time therefore
the guarantee was ONLY on the sewer line. When I called them out
after three weeks (guarantee 6 months) the blockage was now in the "main"
line so they charged me again.
McM

I would consider all of the drain pipes to be "sewer lines". For a house, I
would consider the "main line" to be all piping from the street sewer into
the house up to any point where it branches into two similar sized pipes.
Anything from that point I would consider "branch lines" as well as any
smaller lines which connect to the "main line". However, these terms are not
necessarily standard for all users. Have the plumbers show you exactly where
the pipes have been cleaned and where they have not.

Don Young

Posted to alt.home.repair

Beware !
Plumbers are pretty sick perverts.
They use terms like BALLCOCKS - NIPPLES - DRAIN COCKS - NUTS - MOUNTS
and other disgusting words. They even insert male pipes into female
pipes without asking the pipe before hand.

Plumbers are perverts and everyone should know about them before
allowing them in your home.

------------

On Sun, 18 Mar 2007 14:25:06 -0500, "Xeno Chauvin"
wrote:

Can anyone point me to some national (U.S.) organization
of "Plumbers" wherein I might find definitions of their
terms?
I am particularly interested in the definitions of
sewer line
main (line)
branch (lines).
According to the company that cleaned my "sewer line"
the "main" and "branch" lines are different and that I only
paid to have my "sewer line" cleaned the first time therefore
the guarantee was ONLY on the sewer line. When I called them out
after three weeks (guarantee 6 months) the blockage was now in the "main"
line so they charged me again.
McM

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

wrote:

Can anyone point me to some national (U.S.) organization
of "Plumbers" wherein I might find definitions of their
terms?
I am particularly interested in the definitions of
sewer line
main (line)
branch (lines).
According to the company that cleaned my "sewer line"
the "main" and "branch" lines are different and that I only
paid to have my "sewer line" cleaned the first time therefore
the guarantee was ONLY on the sewer line. When I called them out
after three weeks (guarantee 6 months) the blockage was now in the "main"
line so they charged me again.
McM

So what part of the pipes did they clean the first time? Inside the
house or between the house and the city sewer? Or both? What did
they charge you for?

And what part do they want to do the second time?

In a way terminology is less important than whether they repaired the
right thing each time, and whether they are billing twice for the same
thing.

Plumbing Code - Can I tie my bathroom exaust fan into the main plumbing vent to the outside. johnnymo Home Repair 29 December 9th 18 02:08 AM
Plumbing help Puddin' Man Home Repair 4 November 24th 06 04:20 AM
plumbing mamace Home Repair 4 September 27th 06 07:46 PM
Cordless drill jargon foggytown Woodworking 28 December 1st 05 12:31 AM
CH plumbing - what's this? chris French UK diy 2 October 13th 05 01:46 PM