Posted to alt.home.repair
Don Young Don Young is offline

Default Plumbing jargon?

"Xeno Chauvin" wrote in message
Can anyone point me to some national (U.S.) organization
of "Plumbers" wherein I might find definitions of their
terms?
I am particularly interested in the definitions of
sewer line
main (line)
branch (lines).
According to the company that cleaned my "sewer line"
the "main" and "branch" lines are different and that I only
paid to have my "sewer line" cleaned the first time therefore
the guarantee was ONLY on the sewer line. When I called them out
after three weeks (guarantee 6 months) the blockage was now in the "main"
line so they charged me again.
McM

I would consider all of the drain pipes to be "sewer lines". For a house, I
would consider the "main line" to be all piping from the street sewer into
the house up to any point where it branches into two similar sized pipes.
Anything from that point I would consider "branch lines" as well as any
smaller lines which connect to the "main line". However, these terms are not
necessarily standard for all users. Have the plumbers show you exactly where
the pipes have been cleaned and where they have not.

Don Young