Posted to alt.home.repair

Default plumbing

If water is leaking out of the bottom of the toilet (down on the floor),
what should I do? It is not leaking really really fast but it is coming
out at a good rate. I have shut off the water to the toilet. But is it
something I can easily fix or do I need to call a plumber?

Also the bolts to the tank were rusted really bad and leaking. I bought new
bolts and put them on and one side still keeps leaking (the same side that
was leaking before I changed them). I have bought two sets of bolts to
tank kits and neither seem to stop the drip. Can I just cheat and put the
bolts on, tighten them and then put some kind of caulk or sealant around
the bolts? Or do I need to call a plumber?
Posted to alt.home.repair

"mamace" wrote in message
news:bc8a7281e8946779b6fc00b08e854f5b@homerepairli ve.com...
If water is leaking out of the bottom of the toilet (down on the floor),
what should I do? It is not leaking really really fast but it is coming
out at a good rate. I have shut off the water to the toilet. But is it
something I can easily fix or do I need to call a plumber?

Also the bolts to the tank were rusted really bad and leaking. I bought
new
bolts and put them on and one side still keeps leaking (the same side that
was leaking before I changed them). I have bought two sets of bolts to
tank kits and neither seem to stop the drip. Can I just cheat and put the
bolts on, tighten them and then put some kind of caulk or sealant around
the bolts? Or do I need to call a plumber?

Did you replace the wax seal the toilet is sitting on? The toilet has to be
lifted off and the seal cleaned and replaced, then bolted back down.

Posted to alt.home.repair

mamace wrote:
If water is leaking out of the bottom of the toilet (down on the floor),
what should I do? It is not leaking really really fast but it is coming
out at a good rate. I have shut off the water to the toilet. But is it
something I can easily fix or do I need to call a plumber?

Also the bolts to the tank were rusted really bad and leaking. I bought new
bolts and put them on and one side still keeps leaking (the same side that
was leaking before I changed them). I have bought two sets of bolts to
tank kits and neither seem to stop the drip. Can I just cheat and put the
bolts on, tighten them and then put some kind of caulk or sealant around
the bolts? Or do I need to call a plumber?

Bolts, seal between tank and bowl and wax ring. You can do it all
yourself but first time I refastened a toilet to the floor, I screwed
it too tight and broke it. I now just have a plumber come in and put
in new toilet to replace old ~5 gal. flushers when serious problems
develop.
Frank

Posted to alt.home.repair

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

"mamace" wrote in message
[...]

The OP's post is worded so poorly you can't really tell where he's
saying the leak is. If it were the wax ring, then why would he say
"neither seems to stop the drip"? You don't get a "drip" from a
defective wax seal.

I'd vote for a leak at the tank to bowl gasket, or maybe he didn't put
the tank bolts, their metal and rubber washers on is the correct
sequence. That's if he's lucky.

And if he's not, it's likely that he's got a small crack in the tank
bottom which HE created by overtightening the tank bolts the first time
he changed them.

Good luck, OP....Maybe your best bet is to hire a competant plumber.

HTH,

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia