Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Electrical Humming/ Buzzing

I have a 18 year old home with circuit breakers. For the past 2
months I have noticed an intermittent electrical noise that come
through all my electronics and appliances at the same time... the
TVsbuzz and have lines through the picture, Stereo and computer
speakers buzz, my fridge even buzzes during these episodes. They last
approximately 5 or 10 minutes. I have only witnessed it about 8
times. The times they happen vary from daytime to night. I called
the power company and they replaced all of the connections from my
meter to across the street to the pole. It happened again last
night.
My electrician is on vacation until Monday and I am worried that my
house will burn down in the meantime...I am also hesitant to call
another electrician taht I don't know, becuase I am worried that I may
be taken for a bundle....
Has anyone run into this before? Do you have any suggestions on what
to look at?
Thank you in advance for your assistance,
Cheryl

Posted to alt.home.repair

"fixcar" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

You've noticed it for 2 months, but now you can't wait until Monday? First
thing I'd do is call the electric company. It should cost nothing for them
to make sure nothing odd's going on with the wires outside. They may also be
able to explain the problem, even if it's got nothing to do with their
outside equipment.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 14, 8:43 am, "JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:
"fixcar" wrote in message

oups.com...

[...]

outside equipment.- Hide quoted text -

They have already come by and replaced all conenctions from my meter
out to the pole on the street. I can wait till Monday, it's just
really creeping me out.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"fixcar" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Mar 14, 8:43 am, "JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:
"fixcar" wrote in message

oups.com...

[...]

Try experimenting with stuff the electrician may ask about. Unplug the
computer, unplug the TV, unplug anything you don't need and see what
happens. Turn off one circuit breaker at a time and see if that solves the
problem. At least you won't have to pay the electrician to do the easy
stuff.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Ken Ken is offline

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
"fixcar" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Mar 14, 8:43 am, "JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:
"fixcar" wrote in message

oups.com...

[...]

I agree, especially anything with a motor. The refrigerator would be
one of the first I would disconnect, especially if the noise were
emanating from it. Also the 5-10 minute cycle sounds like a
refrigerator cycle.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 14, 9:33 am, Ken wrote:
JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
"fixcar" wrote in message
roups.com...
On Mar 14, 8:43 am, "JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:
"fixcar" wrote in message

egroups.com...

[...]

refrigerator cycle.- Hide quoted text -

So then a faulty motor can feedback throughout the entire house's
electrical system and cause what I have been seeing? i don't know
much / anything about electricity. I just assumed that something must
be loose at the panel. Thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair

"fixcar" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Mar 14, 9:33 am, Ken wrote:
JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
"fixcar" wrote in message
roups.com...
On Mar 14, 8:43 am, "JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:
"fixcar" wrote in message

egroups.com...

[...]

It could be any number of things. Start with the refrigerator. Next,
anything else that cycles without your help, like furnace/AC. But,
experiment via the breakers, not the off-on switches on devices. Take notes.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I had the same issue here, & after lots of hunting & trial & error,
discovered that the transformer for the humidifier that is built into my
furnace was the culprit. I have since replaced it & have had no more issues.
"fixcar" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 14, 7:39 am, "fixcar" wrote:
[...]

ask electrician to install new arc fault stuff, provides more
protection, info at:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arc-fau...uit_interupter

Posted to alt.home.repair
DB DB is offline

"fixcar" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

If you share a transformer with another residence check with them to see if
they have the same problem. If not you have to rely on the power company as
to whether or not there is any problem at the transformer. The odds are
though the interference is coming from one of your own electrical gadgets.
When it happens disconnect things one by one from the electrical service and
see if it goes away.

Posted to alt.home.repair
DB DB is offline

"fixcar" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Mar 14, 9:33 am, Ken wrote:
JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
"fixcar" wrote in message
roups.com...
On Mar 14, 8:43 am, "JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:
"fixcar" wrote in message

egroups.com...

[...]

Probably a motor or transformer in an appliance or other piece of household
equipment.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Mar 14, 6:39 am, "fixcar" wrote:
[...]

If you get no results after trying some of the excellent suggestions
above, take a walk around the neighborhood and look for an amateur
radio antenna looming over someone's house. Everynow and then a chap
new to the hobby will fire up a rig with faulty shielding that makes
wierd things happen. Similarly, medical apparatus can go off key and
do odd things. You may also have a nearby workshop, pro or amateur,
with a cheap or misinstalled welder. You can even locate the source
with a portable TV and rabbit ears for a direction finder. Whatever,
let us know what you find...it should be interesting.

Joe

Posted to alt.home.repair

buffalobill wrote:

ask electrician to install new arc fault stuff, provides more
protection, info at:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arc-fau...uit_interupter

What a putz...
Posted to alt.home.repair
Ken Ken is offline

Joe wrote:
On Mar 14, 6:39 am, "fixcar" wrote:
[...]

Another good suggestion.
Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

Had a similar problem with a strong 60 cycle hum that sounded throughout the
house. When it happened during a power outage I realized it wasn't
electrical. It turned out to be the gas meter. When the water heater kicked
in the meter was making a 60 hz sound that sounded along the steel pipe plus
the meter was on the outside of the same wall as the electrical panel.

The gas company replaced the meter, no problems since.

"fixcar" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On 14 Mar 2007 10:35:50 -0700, "buffalobill"
wrote:

On Mar 14, 7:39 am, "fixcar" wrote:
[...]

If this would make any change at all, it shouldn't be done until the
noise is found. If you do it now, the breaker will trip everytime the
noise starts and they'll never find it. And how do you know which
breaker?

But frankly I don't think this noise or its cause will cause any
breaker to trip.
Posted to alt.home.repair
CJT CJT is offline

fixcar wrote:

[...]

I understand this is common with poltergeists.

Can't Stop Humming Ron Electronics Repair 38 June 21st 06 09:10 AM
light humming mo Home Repair 6 February 17th 06 03:13 AM
Rheem Furnace - Humming a Sad Electrical Tune [email protected] Home Repair 26 April 19th 05 05:18 AM
Subwoofer humming Michael Rabeno Electronics Repair 5 October 16th 04 03:49 PM
Humming sound Seeqer Electronics Repair 4 January 14th 04 03:10 AM