Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

Default Electrical Humming/ Buzzing

Had a similar problem with a strong 60 cycle hum that sounded throughout the
house. When it happened during a power outage I realized it wasn't
electrical. It turned out to be the gas meter. When the water heater kicked
in the meter was making a 60 hz sound that sounded along the steel pipe plus
the meter was on the outside of the same wall as the electrical panel.

The gas company replaced the meter, no problems since.

"fixcar" wrote in message
oups.com...
I have a 18 year old home with circuit breakers. For the past 2
months I have noticed an intermittent electrical noise that come
through all my electronics and appliances at the same time... the
TVsbuzz and have lines through the picture, Stereo and computer
speakers buzz, my fridge even buzzes during these episodes. They last
approximately 5 or 10 minutes. I have only witnessed it about 8
times. The times they happen vary from daytime to night. I called
the power company and they replaced all of the connections from my
meter to across the street to the pole. It happened again last
night.
My electrician is on vacation until Monday and I am worried that my
house will burn down in the meantime...I am also hesitant to call
another electrician taht I don't know, becuase I am worried that I may
be taken for a bundle....
Has anyone run into this before? Do you have any suggestions on what
to look at?
Thank you in advance for your assistance,
Cheryl