Posted to alt.home.repair
Ken Ken is offline

Default Electrical Humming/ Buzzing

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
"fixcar" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Mar 14, 8:43 am, "JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:
"fixcar" wrote in message

oups.com...

I have a 18 year old home with circuit breakers. For the past 2
months I have noticed an intermittent electrical noise that come
through all my electronics and appliances at the same time... the
TVsbuzz and have lines through the picture, Stereo and computer
speakers buzz, my fridge even buzzes during these episodes. They last
approximately 5 or 10 minutes. I have only witnessed it about 8
times. The times they happen vary from daytime to night. I called
the power company and they replaced all of the connections from my
meter to across the street to the pole. It happened again last
night.
My electrician is on vacation until Monday and I am worried that my
house will burn down in the meantime...I am also hesitant to call
another electrician taht I don't know, becuase I am worried that I may
be taken for a bundle....
Has anyone run into this before? Do you have any suggestions on what
to look at?
Thank you in advance for your assistance,
Cheryl
You've noticed it for 2 months, but now you can't wait until Monday?
First
thing I'd do is call the electric company. It should cost nothing for
them
to make sure nothing odd's going on with the wires outside. They may also
be
able to explain the problem, even if it's got nothing to do with their
outside equipment.- Hide quoted text -

They have already come by and replaced all conenctions from my meter
out to the pole on the street. I can wait till Monday, it's just
really creeping me out.

Try experimenting with stuff the electrician may ask about. Unplug the
computer, unplug the TV, unplug anything you don't need and see what
happens. Turn off one circuit breaker at a time and see if that solves the
problem. At least you won't have to pay the electrician to do the easy
stuff.

I agree, especially anything with a motor. The refrigerator would be
one of the first I would disconnect, especially if the noise were
emanating from it. Also the 5-10 minute cycle sounds like a
refrigerator cycle.