Posted to alt.home.repair
mo

Default light humming

Hello, I have a flouresent light fixture above my sink.
When it is on it humms loudly.
I have replaced the tube and it has no starter.
What is causing the hum?
PS it is an old fixture

Posted to alt.home.repair
buffalobill

"Magnetic ballasts modulate electrical current at a relatively low
cycle rate, which can cause a noticeable flicker. Magnetic ballasts may
also vibrate at a low frequency. This is the source of the audible
humming sound people associate with fluorescent lamps.

Modern ballast designs use advanced electronics to more precisely
regulate the current flowing through the electrical circuit. Since they
use a higher cycle rate, you don't generally notice a flicker or
humming noise coming from an electronic ballast. Different lamps
require specialized ballasts designed to maintain the specific voltage
and current levels needed for varying tube designs."
more about flourescent lights at:
http://home.howstuffworks.com/fluore....htm/printable

Posted to alt.home.repair
Tony Hwang

RicodJour wrote:
Jeff Wisnia wrote:

wrote:

On Wed, 15 Feb 2006 22:08:54 GMT, "mo" wrote:

Hello, I have a flouresent light fixture above my sink.
When it is on it humms loudly.
I have replaced the tube and it has no starter.
What is causing the hum?
PS it is an old fixture

Like others said, its the ballast
The metal core pieces are vibrating probably due to a loose housing.
Some of the old ones that were held together with a metal piece that
goes around 3 sides can be quieted by squeezing that metal piece.
Otherwise, replace the ballast, but first price a new fixture. Many
times the fixture costs less than a ballast.

If squeezing it doesen't quiet it down, try removing it, placing it on a
firm surface and denting it SLIGHTLY with a ball peen hammer in a few
places. Sounds drastic, but it's worked for me.

Hmmm. You didn't mention replacing the ballast in the fixture, so this
is how you "teach" the ballast some respect? Beat the crap out of it
with a ballpeen hammer? You're a tough man, Jeff.

Hi,
You have to hit it with an experienced authority or you'll kill it good,
LOL!

Want a longer lasting light bulb Mel Home Repair 17 October 26th 05 02:25 PM
Light Bulb Phil UK diy 18 March 27th 05 05:50 PM
Found elsewhere but perhaps a bit close to home? John UK diy 5 December 29th 04 11:28 PM
Survey on Newsgroup Behavior Jens Arndt Home Repair 27 November 2nd 04 01:45 PM
Inground spa light replac barry martin Home Repair 0 October 14th 04 12:30 AM