Posted to alt.home.repair
Jeff Wisnia

Default light humming

wrote:
On Wed, 15 Feb 2006 22:08:54 GMT, "mo" wrote:

Hello, I have a flouresent light fixture above my sink.
When it is on it humms loudly.
I have replaced the tube and it has no starter.
What is causing the hum?
PS it is an old fixture

Like others said, its the ballast
The metal core pieces are vibrating probably due to a loose housing.
Some of the old ones that were held together with a metal piece that
goes around 3 sides can be quieted by squeezing that metal piece.
Otherwise, replace the ballast, but first price a new fixture. Many
times the fixture costs less than a ballast.

If squeezing it doesen't quiet it down, try removing it, placing it on a
firm surface and denting it SLIGHTLY with a ball peen hammer in a few
places. Sounds drastic, but it's worked for me.

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)