Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Grow ivy, very limited sun

Hi,

Densely populated urban residential area. Between my little brick
bungalow and the next house. There's some hasta and surprise lilies
out there, but I need ivy. Couldn't figger how to water the hasta
last season (without watering the house walls) with sprinkler, so
I spent way, way too much time standing out there with the garden
hose. Need ivy, willing to sacrifice hasta, etc to get it (if
necessary).

Around the corner is a little wooded easement with lots of ivy.
Can I just snip, say, 10" lengths from there and plant them
by my house? Would potting soil and/or fertilizer be a good idea?
Really need to get this off the ground. I am not knowledgable
re gardening.

Also timing. I am in midwest: avg. hi/lo is now 53/29 F.

I know all about invasive nature of ivy, no warnings necessary.
Maybe half the houses on the block have some ivy and apparently
aren't having difficulty controlling it.

Thx,
Puddin'

"Life is nothing but a competition to be the criminal rather
than the victim."
- Bertrand Russell

Posted to alt.home.repair

Puddin' Man writes:

[...]

Hasta
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The word Hasta may refer to one of the following:

* A Latin word meaning spear.
* A Sanskrit word meaning hand.
* A Nakshatra of Hindu Astrology.
* An Italian city currently known as Asti.

You probably mean Hosta.

Cut off any amount of ivy and stick it in the ground
and it will take off.

I just had a little plant start by itself near my
garage so I thought I'd watch it for a while.
After a few months, I noticed a bit of it
on the inside of my garage, I thought it
worked it's way thru the doorway.
Nope, it went right under the sill plate
into the garage.
It's gone now.

What you really want is pachysandra or vinca.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Dan Espen" wrote in message

What you really want is pachysandra or vinca.

Yep. Two bulletproof plants, and pretty, too. At my previous house, I had
pachysandra in a spot where it got almost no moisture in the summer. In
winter, it was subjected an endless barrage of falling ice chunks. The
plants just laughed at this treatment, and looked better with every passing
year. I did nothing to them except a little fertilizer ever 2 or 5 years.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 10 Mar 2007 12:20:09 -0500, Dan Espen wrote:

Puddin' Man writes:

[...]

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The word Hasta may refer to one of the following:

* A Latin word meaning spear.
* A Sanskrit word meaning hand.
* A Nakshatra of Hindu Astrology.
* An Italian city currently known as Asti.

You probably mean Hosta.

Yup. Forgot the spelling.

Cut off any amount of ivy and stick it in the ground
and it will take off.

Reason I queried, young couple 2 doors down went to a
lot of trouble to start maybe 30 ivy snips last spring
under a shade tree. Didn't take off. Maybe 10 left.

I just had a little plant start by itself near my
garage so I thought I'd watch it for a while.
After a few months, I noticed a bit of it
on the inside of my garage, I thought it
worked it's way thru the doorway.
Nope, it went right under the sill plate
into the garage.
It's gone now.

I've had weeds do that.

What you really want is pachysandra or vinca.

So you say. I don't know anything about 'em. Ivy
works for most neighbors, oughta work for po' me.

"Life is nothing but a competition to be the criminal rather
than the victim."
- Bertrand Russell

Posted to alt.home.repair

Puddin' Man wrote:
[...]

You can water with a soaker hose or with microsprinklers. Put "Y"
adapter on spigot, so's you can still use the faucet. Attach soaker
hose, or attach adapter for microtubing to one side. Put down your
microtubing with sprikler or drip heads where you want them.

If you take ivy cuttings, they will start more reliably if you put them
in water until good sized roots develop. Strip off leaves on the bottom
part of the stem that will be under water. Ivy is really nasty when it
gets behind aluminum siding, but you know that )

Posted to alt.home.repair

Puddin' Man writes:

[...]

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The word Hasta may refer to one of the following:

* A Latin word meaning spear.
* A Sanskrit word meaning hand.
* A Nakshatra of Hindu Astrology.
* An Italian city currently known as Asti.

You probably mean Hosta.

Yup. Forgot the spelling.

Cut off any amount of ivy and stick it in the ground
and it will take off.

Reason I queried, young couple 2 doors down went to a
lot of trouble to start maybe 30 ivy snips last spring
under a shade tree. Didn't take off. Maybe 10 left.

If it grows up and around the trunk, it can kill the tree.

Hosta is perfect under a tree, and comes in lots of colors.
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

wrote:

Cut off any amount of ivy and stick it in the ground
and it will take off.

I wish I had done that. Instead I waited 20 years until I found some
growing out of the woods and up to my fence. Then 2 more years until
it reached the house. Now it's about 2 inches up the brick wall of
the house and I'm expecting another 12 inches this year. It's a lot
prettier than the creeping charlie I used to let grow up the house.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"JoeSpareBedroom" writes:

"Dan Espen" wrote in message

What you really want is pachysandra or vinca.

Yep. Two bulletproof plants, and pretty, too. At my previous house, I had
pachysandra in a spot where it got almost no moisture in the summer. In
winter, it was subjected an endless barrage of falling ice chunks. The
plants just laughed at this treatment, and looked better with every passing
year. I did nothing to them except a little fertilizer ever 2 or 5 years.

I've had pachysandra die back in only extreme drought conditions.
I never water or feed it.

The back half of my yard I purposely leave to nature.
It's a large area about one third pachysandra and one fifth
vinca.

If the pachysandra near the house dies, I just move some more
from the wild area of the yard.
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Sat, 10 Mar 2007 19:02:39 GMT, Norminn
wrote:

Puddin' Man wrote:
[...]

Does it get behind T1-11, also? That's some kind of wood product in
4x8' sheets.

My first story is brick, but after that it's t1-11, so I need to know
before it grows another 8 feet!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 10 Mar 2007 14:24:25 -0500, mm wrote:

If you take ivy cuttings, they will start more reliably if you put them
in water until good sized roots develop. Strip off leaves on the bottom
part of the stem that will be under water. Ivy is really nasty when it
gets behind aluminum siding, but you know that )

Does it get behind T1-11, also? That's some kind of wood product in
4x8' sheets.

My first story is brick, but after that it's t1-11, so I need to know
before it grows another 8 feet!

I've always heard ivy'll bugger your mortar.

I'd keep it 100% OFF the house.

"Life is nothing but a competition to be the criminal rather
than the victim."
- Bertrand Russell

Posted to alt.home.repair

mm writes:

Does it get behind T1-11, also? That's some kind of wood product in
4x8' sheets.

My first story is brick, but after that it's t1-11, so I need to know
before it grows another 8 feet!

I don't think you want it anywhere near anything you want to keep,
brick included.
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Sat, 10 Mar 2007 19:42:48 GMT, Puddin' Man
wrote:

On Sat, 10 Mar 2007 14:24:25 -0500, mm wrote:

If you take ivy cuttings, they will start more reliably if you put them
in water until good sized roots develop. Strip off leaves on the bottom
part of the stem that will be under water. Ivy is really nasty when it
gets behind aluminum siding, but you know that )

Does it get behind T1-11, also? That's some kind of wood product in
4x8' sheets.

My first story is brick, but after that it's t1-11, so I need to know
before it grows another 8 feet!

I've always heard ivy'll bugger your mortar.

I'd keep it 100% OFF the house.

You can do that but I won't. That's why they call it the Ivy League.

"So you say. I don't know anything about 'em. Ivy
works for most neighbors, oughta work for po' me."

I would not be so blunt, but when I first read this, in this very
thread, I saw that you liked that style.

So I want you to see if you like receiving it as well as sending it.

"Life is nothing but a competition to be the criminal rather
than the victim."
- Bertrand Russell

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Cut off any amount of ivy and stick it in the ground
and it will take off.

I use a "rooting hormone", skin the bottom couple inches, dip the ivy
in and put in the soil..water.... A tiny bottle from Lowe's goes a
long, long way.

--
Oren

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 10 Mar 2007 19:06:52 GMT, Norminn
wrote:

If it grows up and around the trunk, it can kill the tree.

Never, ever heard this. Do you mean a "Strangler Fig" that uses a host
and kills it?

I see healthy trees with ivy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strangler_Fig

--
Oren

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Puddin' Man" wrote in message

What you really want is pachysandra or vinca.

So you say. I don't know anything about 'em. Ivy
works for most neighbors, oughta work for po' me.

Then why did you ask?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 11 Mar 2007 00:56:19 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:

"Puddin' Man" wrote in message
.. .

What you really want is pachysandra or vinca.

So you say. I don't know anything about 'em. Ivy
works for most neighbors, oughta work for po' me.

Then why did you ask?

Jeez. Why not read the original queries? They are often informative:

Would potting soil and/or fertilizer be a good idea?
Really need to get this off the ground. I am not knowledgable
re gardening.

"Life is nothing but a competition to be the criminal rather
than the victim."
- Bertrand Russell

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Sat, 10 Mar 2007 14:54:05 -0500, Dan Espen
wrote:

mm writes:

Does it get behind T1-11, also? That's some kind of wood product in
4x8' sheets.

My first story is brick, but after that it's t1-11, so I need to know
before it grows another 8 feet!

I don't think you want it anywhere near anything you want to keep,
brick included.

Thanks. I'll look into it.

We used to have euanymus (sp?) on our house and it looked very nice.
It was there when we bought the house, but we only lived there for 9
years.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

If it grows up and around the trunk, it can kill the tree.

Never, ever heard this. Do you mean a "Strangler Fig" that uses a host
and kills it?

I see healthy trees with ivy.

Ivy and figs very different .. it was definitely ivy, from a houseplant
transplanted outside. Florida. Strangler figs are trees, ivy a vine.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

mm writes:

Does it get behind T1-11, also? That's some kind of wood product in
4x8' sheets.

My first story is brick, but after that it's t1-11, so I need to know
before it grows another 8 feet!

I don't think you want it anywhere near anything you want to keep,
brick included.

Thanks. I'll look into it.

We used to have euanymus (sp?) on our house and it looked very nice.
It was there when we bought the house, but we only lived there for 9
years.

Here's a trick I use. Not sure about spelling?
Plug it into Google. I got:

Euonymus

It's a genus name so there seems to be a lot of variation:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spindle_(shrub)

But it appears to be a shrub, it wouldn't be "on" your house.
Despite the attractive appearance of a vine covered house,
I don't think you want anything growing on a house.

Ivy is particularly destructive but I don't think there is anything
that's good on a house.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Ivy is a cancer to mortar.
Here's a one-page pdf on it.
http://www.bia.org/pdfs/Ivy%20on%20Brickwork.pdf
It gives advantages as well as disadvantages.

On Mar 11, 8:55 am, Dan Espen
Ivy is particularly destructive but I don't think there is anything
that's good on a house.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On 11 Mar 2007 07:39:17 -0700, "Michael B"
wrote:

Ivy is a cancer to mortar.
Here's a one-page pdf on it.
http://www.bia.org/pdfs/Ivy%20on%20Brickwork.pdf
It gives advantages as well as disadvantages.

Thanks a lot. I've just started to read it.

On Mar 11, 8:55 am, Dan Espen

Sun tile or sun pipe? Quiggles UK diy 4 July 4th 06 02:43 PM
Grass will not grow Steve K Home Repair 31 May 20th 06 12:45 AM
How to grow Ivy (with minimal sun) Puddin' Man Home Repair 14 March 6th 06 11:07 PM
Grow your own sausages Michael Mcneil UK diy 6 December 16th 04 09:44 PM
Why cant I grow grass? Bob Bowles Home Repair 18 September 8th 03 11:29 PM