Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default Grow ivy, very limited sun

On Sat, 10 Mar 2007 19:02:39 GMT, Norminn
wrote:

Puddin' Man wrote:
Hi,

Densely populated urban residential area. Between my little brick
bungalow and the next house. There's some hasta and surprise lilies
out there, but I need ivy. Couldn't figger how to water the hasta
last season (without watering the house walls) with sprinkler, so
I spent way, way too much time standing out there with the garden
hose. Need ivy, willing to sacrifice hasta, etc to get it (if
necessary).

Around the corner is a little wooded easement with lots of ivy.
Can I just snip, say, 10" lengths from there and plant them
by my house? Would potting soil and/or fertilizer be a good idea?
Really need to get this off the ground. I am not knowledgable
re gardening.

Also timing. I am in midwest: avg. hi/lo is now 53/29 F.

I know all about invasive nature of ivy, no warnings necessary.
Maybe half the houses on the block have some ivy and apparently
aren't having difficulty controlling it.

Thx,
Puddin'

"Life is nothing but a competition to be the criminal rather
than the victim."
- Bertrand Russell

You can water with a soaker hose or with microsprinklers. Put "Y"
adapter on spigot, so's you can still use the faucet. Attach soaker
hose, or attach adapter for microtubing to one side. Put down your
microtubing with sprikler or drip heads where you want them.

If you take ivy cuttings, they will start more reliably if you put them
in water until good sized roots develop. Strip off leaves on the bottom
part of the stem that will be under water. Ivy is really nasty when it
gets behind aluminum siding, but you know that )

Does it get behind T1-11, also? That's some kind of wood product in
4x8' sheets.

My first story is brick, but after that it's t1-11, so I need to know
before it grows another 8 feet!