Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Weird Attic Smell

Lately I have noticed a weird smell coming from my attic. I think it's
a dead animal as it really stinks! My friend has said it may be my
insulation getting old. (My house was built in 1978) Does anyone know
if this is possible? Can insulation get old and smell?

Am I able to go up there and check around? I mean, I've never been up
there myself. There's a little "doorway" in the hall that I can gain
access to the attic from. Is it safe for me to go up there? or will I
fall through the roof?
Should I get someone else to go check? (I have a membership at Angie's
List www.angies-lists.com )

If it is a dead rat or mouse, could a decaying animal make us all sick
(I have 2 kids). Sorry, I am kind of panicking now. Maybe I should
just call someone.

Can anyone answer these questions please? If there is a chance it's my
insulation I should really get that stuff replaced.

Sorry about the babbling, thanks for hearing me out. I appreciate any
help you can give.

Sincerely,

Lisa

Posted to alt.home.repair

Listwww.angies-lists.com)

If it is a dead rat or mouse, could a decaying animal make us all sick
(I have 2 kids). Sorry, I am kind of panicking now. Maybe I should
just call someone.

Can anyone answer these questions please? If there is a chance it's my
insulation I should really get that stuff replaced.

Sorry about the babbling, thanks for hearing me out. I appreciate any
help you can give.

Sincerely,

Lisa

The smell is not "aging insulation".
It is probably a dead animal.
I doubt it will make you sick.
I suggest you ask an "animal removal service" for help.
They may be able to tell you how the animal gained entrance.
Then you will need to have the entrance closed.

Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

It would be a dead animal, especially if you use poison baits for mice or
rats. You should have an exterminator check to be sure it's not something
larger such as a squirrel, and have someone do whatever is possible to close
up whatever hole allowed them to enter

ups.com...

List www.angies-lists.com )

If it is a dead rat or mouse, could a decaying animal make us all sick
(I have 2 kids). Sorry, I am kind of panicking now. Maybe I should
just call someone.

Can anyone answer these questions please? If there is a chance it's my
insulation I should really get that stuff replaced.

Sorry about the babbling, thanks for hearing me out. I appreciate any
help you can give.

Sincerely,

Lisa

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
ups.com...
Lately I have noticed a weird smell coming from my attic. I think it's
a dead animal as it really stinks! My friend has said it may be my
insulation getting old. (My house was built in 1978) Does anyone know
if this is possible? Can insulation get old and smell?

Am I able to go up there and check around? I mean, I've never been up
there myself. There's a little "doorway" in the hall that I can gain
access to the attic from. Is it safe for me to go up there? or will I
fall through the roof?

snip

Lisa, please stay out of the attic. You are not familiar with the technique
of walking on the 1.5" edges of the joists you could indeed fall through the
'roof' - which is actually the ceiling of your living space. Usually folks
only put one leg through but the damage is done. Call someone to help you
find the animal and the access point. If you were my neighbor I'd do it for
you and tell you to call a pro if I couldn't find the entry way.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
Lately I have noticed a weird smell coming from my attic. I think it's
a dead animal as it really stinks! My friend has said it may be my
insulation getting old. (My house was built in 1978) Does anyone know
if this is possible? Can insulation get old and smell?

Am I able to go up there and check around? I mean, I've never been up
there myself. There's a little "doorway" in the hall that I can gain
access to the attic from. Is it safe for me to go up there? or will I
fall through the roof?
Should I get someone else to go check? (I have a membership at Angie's
List
www.angies-lists.com )

If it is a dead rat or mouse, could a decaying animal make us all sick
(I have 2 kids). Sorry, I am kind of panicking now. Maybe I should
just call someone.

Can anyone answer these questions please? If there is a chance it's my
insulation I should really get that stuff replaced.

Sorry about the babbling, thanks for hearing me out. I appreciate any
help you can give.

Sincerely,

Lisa

It is NOT the insulation. No way. However it is likely to be a dead
animal. I suggest that based on your questions it would be best to call in
an animal control professional. They can not only find and likely remove
the source of the smell, but more important they may be able to advice you
how to avoid future problems and may alert you to current problems you do
not know about. Prevention is better than trying to fix the problem.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit

Posted to alt.home.repair

ups.com...

List www.angies-lists.com )

If it is a dead rat or mouse, could a decaying animal make us all sick
(I have 2 kids). Sorry, I am kind of panicking now. Maybe I should
just call someone.

Can anyone answer these questions please? If there is a chance it's my
insulation I should really get that stuff replaced.

Sorry about the babbling, thanks for hearing me out. I appreciate any
help you can give.

Sincerely,

Lisa

Along with all the good advice you've gotten so far, call a roofer
***AFTER*** the smelly thing has been removed. You need to find out why
animals are getting in to begin with. In my previous home, we had a
contractor do blown-in insulation, and some roof vents. A month later, we
had a squirrel carnival in the attic. I was able to trap them, but that's
beside the point. I found absolutely NO screens on the vents. I called the
contractor, who said "That's weird. I've never heard of squirrels getting
into attics, at least not around here". Idiot.

Anyway, have your vents checked out.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Moe Moe is offline

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
ups.com...

List www.angies-lists.com )

[...]

Could be the insulation if the roof is leaking and the insulation is
damp or wet and mildew growing. Possessed houses are supposed to also
smell bad. I think there are spooks in my basement.
Dead animal or damp insulation is probably the cause.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

If your attic was insulated with dried lupins and they got wet...

Posted to alt.home.repair
Lar Lar is offline

wrote:
www.angies-lists.com )

If it is a dead rat or mouse, could a decaying animal make us all sick
(I have 2 kids). Sorry, I am kind of panicking now. Maybe I should
just call someone.

If it is a dead rodent it usually starts with a faint odor and you
aren't sure what it is then after a couple of days you realize it's a
dead animal. It will be strong for several days then begin to fade.
10-14 days on average, cooler weather it can take longer but not as
strong, warmer weather comes and goes quicker but more extreme. Removal
of the carcass is the best other wise you might try cinnamon candles to
help mask the odor. If the carcass was unable to be removed and you are
having warm weather you will be swarmed by flies in another week or two.
There will be no chance of illness from the odor permeating into the
home from the attic.

Lar

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On 28 Feb 2007 02:40:39 -0800, wrote:

Lately I have noticed a weird smell coming from my attic. I think it's
a dead animal as it really stinks! My friend has said it may be my
insulation getting old.

Getting old? That's funny.

My insulation got wet when there was a hole in the roof, but didn't
smell. Not saying it can't. Although I wouldn't think fiberglass
could smell. IIUC, there needs to be something for the mold to "eat",
like cellulose insulation would be. It can't eat glass.

(My house was built in 1978) Does anyone know
if this is possible? Can insulation get old and smell?

Am I able to go up there and check around?

Sure, why not? You can be as careful as anyone else can be. And if
you are female, you probably weigh less. I had a friend, who must
have weighed 300 pounds fwiw, who put a hole through his 2nd floor
ceiling. But if you are not fat, you are probably more nimble than he
was, or even than I am. But, like with anything, if you screw up, it
will cost you money to fix.

If you take a piece of plywood or something 18" or more long, that you
can place on top of two joists, with most of your weight on the joists
itself, it will make it easier not to lose your balance.

You can move around also, but obviously that increases the chance of
making a mistake. Don't put your head too close to the roof because
there will be nails sticking in from when the shingles were nailed on.
I can stand up in the middle of my attic, and there are still 2 feet
above my head, but the more comfortable I got up there, the more I
made mistakes. I hurt myself some poking myself with nails a few
times, but never actually cut my scalp. Now, I've been up there so
much, I don't think I'm totaly capable of being cautious, so I put a
hard hat up there to wear if I go to where the roof is low. I also
put up several pieces of plywood so that I can kneel on piece B then
C, and move A to the other side of C, so that I can work my way to far
corners of the attic. Then work my way back. I was putting in phone
lines, and bedroom ceiling lights, and TV cable, and burglar alarm
wires. If you're just going to go up there once, it wouldn't be worth
all this.

But come to think of it, you can first stick half or more of your body
up through the hole or door and remain standing on the ladder. You
and your nose can probably learn a lot from that. The brighter the
flashlight the better, and better than that might be a gooseneck desk
lamp or anything portable that runs on house current. 75 to 100 watts
really light up a space. Careful on the ladder when you turn halfway
around. That's when I start to fall off.

So it would be easy to just stand on the ladder. Is there one built
in? If not, a 6 foot ladder is about right if you have 8 foot
ceilings. Bigger is awkward.

Wear long sleeves, long pants, and gloves if you have fiberglass, the
pink or yellow stuff. Well, apparently the new stuff doesnt' stick to
your skin, but the stuff made in 1978 does, and it's like the teeniest
of pin pricks. Doesn't actually hurt, but it's annoying. When I
forget and wear short sleeves or pants, I take a shower afterwards and
that seems to make it go away.

If I don't just stand in the hole, but I go up and do something to
move the fiberglass around i wear asimple paper face mask, so as to
not inhale the fiberglass that I might cause to float around. No one
else mentioned that, and I don't know for sure that it is a risk, and
I've never even examined the air in bright sunlight to see if there is
fiberglass floating. I know there is a lot of dust floating in my own
home some time, but I think the nose catches most of that. Not sure
about fibeglass, and some people don't always breath through there
nose. A package of 3 was about 2 or 3 dollars.

I mean, I've never been up
there myself. There's a little "doorway" in the hall that I can gain
access to the attic from. Is it safe for me to go up there? or will I
fall through the roof?

Maybe if Scotty zooms you up.

Should I get someone else to go check? (I have a membership at Angie's
List
www.angies-lists.com )

If it is a dead rat or mouse, could a decaying animal make us all sick

I don't think so. My mother always felt that certain smells carried
disease, so I've kept my eyes open, but never found anything to
support that.

(I have 2 kids). Sorry, I am kind of panicking now. Maybe I should
just call someone.

Almost everywhere, there are flies or insects or microbes which will
eat the carcass, and it will stop smelling.

Can anyone answer these questions please? If there is a chance it's my
insulation I should really get that stuff replaced.

No.

Sorry about the babbling, thanks for hearing me out. I appreciate any
help you can give.

When I first went up in my attic, I found two birds looking at me
through the pink fiberglas insulation, on the floor of the attic. If
they had been looking the other way, it would have been different, but
it was eerie, almost scary. Two black birds.

Anyhow, the birds didn't smell at all. Perhaps they did when they
first died, but I didn't own the house then.

By this time they were dry and I'm sure weighed less than they had,
but their head and feathers looked pretty much like new. Well, at
first I could only see their faces, but I put on gloves, and to not
get the gloves dirty**, I used a sheet of newspaper to pick them up
and put them in a bag, and I through that away. Just for neatness.
Eventually I suppose they would have fallen apart and left feathers
and bones whereever they broke off.

**I don't think the gloves would have gotten dirty, but these things
were totally dessicated. If your animal still smells, it's not dry
yet.

Later, when I was outside, I found out where they got in. It was at
the very end of the soffitt, where the screening was detached from the
small piece of wood, 1x2x5inches long, that was the end of the frame
of the screening that filled the soffitt, that was the soffitt. A
quarter inch of wood was missing, like it had rotted away, or been
pecked away by birds. So the screen was no longer stapled to the wood
(because the part that held the staple was gone). I thought it was
some kind of rot and thought it would continue so that my repair would
not last long. But I stapled or nailed the screeing back on, and
it's been 20 years. So now I think it wasn't rot but bird pecking.
For some reason, one or both of them wanted in, but then couldn't find
there way out, and starved to death.

I think this pecking their way in must be pretty unusual, especially
since the prior owner kept absolutely nothing in the attic.

I'm sure the other poster is right and it might be mold. The specific
smell might be a big clue, and what you see when you look and sniff
might also be.

Sincerely,

Lisa

Posted to alt.home.repair

"mm" wrote in message

Wear long sleeves, long pants, and gloves if you have fiberglass, the
pink or yellow stuff.

Don't forget the breather mask.

Well, apparently the new stuff doesnt' stick to
your skin,

Wanna bet?

When I
forget and wear short sleeves or pants, I take a shower afterwards and
that seems to make it go away.

All clothing should be washed in cold water immediately afterward.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Wed, 28 Feb 2007 17:17:34 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"
wrote:

"mm" wrote in message
.. .

Wear long sleeves, long pants, and gloves if you have fiberglass, the
pink or yellow stuff.

Don't forget the breather mask.

Well, apparently the new stuff doesnt' stick to
your skin,

Wanna bet?

No bet. I've never used the new stuff, only seen it in the store. It
doesnt' feel bad to the touch, but then again, I have calluses on my
fingers. I should have taken off my shirt and rubbed up against it.
Didn't think of that. And it was labeled as not being something.
But it DIDN'T SAY it doesn't stick to your skin. I shouldn't have
said that.

When I
forget and wear short sleeves or pants, I take a shower afterwards and
that seems to make it go away.

All clothing should be washed in cold water immediately afterward.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article . com, wrote:
Lately I have noticed a weird smell coming from my attic. I think it's
a dead animal as it really stinks! My friend has said it may be my
insulation getting old. (My house was built in 1978) Does anyone know
if this is possible? Can insulation get old and smell?

Am I able to go up there and check around? I mean, I've never been up
there myself. There's a little "doorway" in the hall that I can gain
access to the attic from. Is it safe for me to go up there? or will I
fall through the roof?
Should I get someone else to go check? (I have a membership at Angie's
List
www.angies-lists.com )

If it is a dead rat or mouse, could a decaying animal make us all sick
(I have 2 kids). Sorry, I am kind of panicking now. Maybe I should
just call someone.

Just use some steps, open the trapdoor and stick your
head inside with the most powerful flashlight you have.
You may get some clues right away. If you feel comfortable
climbing up inside the attic, proceed carefully. If not,
you'll need to get some help.

Be sure to get reputable help -- there are tons of scam
artists waiting to rip you off. If you have a friend or
relative that's willing to rescue a damsel in distress,
so much the better.

Chances are it is a dead bird, rodent or other animal.
Removal of the corpse should resolve the problem quickly.
Also look for signs of wetness -- leaking roof or even
water pipe since mold, rot etc. could be causing the
smell (although I think that's less likely).

Replacing the insulation should not be necessary unless
you have a leak and rampant mold. But even if that was
the case, your first priority will be fixing the leak.

| Gary Player. |

http://www.malch.com/ Shpx gur PQN. |
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Wed, 28 Feb 2007 12:12:48 -0500, mm
wrote:

Now, I've been up there so
much, I don't think I'm totaly capable of being cautious, so I put a
hard hat up there to wear if I go to where the roof is low.

This is wrong. It's not that I got more comfortable and less
cautious. It's that the roofer used longer nails this time and I
learned to be careful with the shorter nails. Maybe if I could see the
nails, I would relearn quickly, but it seems to be taking as long, as
many hits (3 to 5), to learn the second time as it did to learn the
first time. Plus he might have even used more nails, with his
pneumatic nail gun, than the original roofer did in 1979 (or did they
use pneumatic tools then too, in a townhouse development with 100
townhouses?)

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Now, I've been up there so
much, I don't think I'm totaly capable of being cautious, so I put a
hard hat up there to wear if I go to where the roof is low.

This is wrong. It's not that I got more comfortable and less
cautious. It's that the roofer used longer nails this time and I
learned to be careful with the shorter nails. Maybe if I could see the
nails, I would relearn quickly, but it seems to be taking as long, as
many hits (3 to 5), to learn the second time as it did to learn the
first time. Plus he might have even used more nails, with his
pneumatic nail gun, than the original roofer did in 1979 (or did they
use pneumatic tools then too, in a townhouse development with 100
townhouses?)

WOW!!!! I thank each and everyone of you guys for all of your help/
suggestions/concern. I truly appreciate it.
I ended up calling a guy and he found 4 dead rats up there! And the
way they were getting in. So he cleared them all out and patched
things up.

I could not believe the smell, god it was getting horrible!
Thank god for the handyman, thank god for men! Thanks a lot guys!

Lisa

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to AAllc.architects, Omnipi007 wrote:
My house is 34 years old and my insulation does smell, it has always smelt

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ll-199036-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

Smelt make good bait.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 12 May 2017 03:14:02 GMT
Omnipi007 m wrote:

replying to AAllc.architects, Omnipi007 wrote:
My house is 34 years old and my insulation does smell, it has always
smelt

Find and remove the illegal buried in it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 12 May 2017 01:34:53 -0700 (PDT)
Thomas wrote:

Smelt make good bait.

Smelt runs are awesome times.