Posted to alt.home.repair
Speedy Jim Speedy Jim is offline

Default Weird Attic Smell

wrote:

Lately I have noticed a weird smell coming from my attic. I think it's
a dead animal as it really stinks!

SNIP

Everyone has focused exclusively on a dead animal
as the cause.

I would not for a minute rule out mold growth
as the cause. Notice I did *not* say you have mold.
I'm saying that it is a possibility that should be
looked into.

There are hundreds of different mold/fungus types and
each can emit its own specific odor, some of them quite nasty.

Mold growth in an attic during winter is fairly common
if there is a lot of condensation due to poor air
circulation. It can grow on roofing members or even
in some kinds of insulation.

As suggested, don't go up there yourself; it's far too
dangerous.

Jim