Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] AAllc.architects@gmail.com is offline

Default Weird Attic Smell

On Feb 28, 5:40 am, wrote:
Lately I have noticed a weird smell coming from my attic. I think it's
a dead animal as it really stinks! My friend has said it may be my
insulation getting old. (My house was built in 1978) Does anyone know
if this is possible? Can insulation get old and smell?

Am I able to go up there and check around? I mean, I've never been up
there myself. There's a little "doorway" in the hall that I can gain
access to the attic from. Is it safe for me to go up there? or will I
fall through the roof?
Should I get someone else to go check? (I have a membership at Angie's
Listwww.angies-lists.com)

If it is a dead rat or mouse, could a decaying animal make us all sick
(I have 2 kids). Sorry, I am kind of panicking now. Maybe I should
just call someone.

Can anyone answer these questions please? If there is a chance it's my
insulation I should really get that stuff replaced.

Sorry about the babbling, thanks for hearing me out. I appreciate any
help you can give.

Sincerely,

Lisa

The smell is not "aging insulation".
It is probably a dead animal.
I doubt it will make you sick.
I suggest you ask an "animal removal service" for help.
They may be able to tell you how the animal gained entrance.
Then you will need to have the entrance closed.