Posted to alt.home.repair
Malcolm Hoar Malcolm Hoar is offline

Default Weird Attic Smell

In article . com, wrote:
Lately I have noticed a weird smell coming from my attic. I think it's
a dead animal as it really stinks! My friend has said it may be my
insulation getting old. (My house was built in 1978) Does anyone know
if this is possible? Can insulation get old and smell?

Am I able to go up there and check around? I mean, I've never been up
there myself. There's a little "doorway" in the hall that I can gain
access to the attic from. Is it safe for me to go up there? or will I
fall through the roof?
Should I get someone else to go check? (I have a membership at Angie's
List
www.angies-lists.com )

If it is a dead rat or mouse, could a decaying animal make us all sick
(I have 2 kids). Sorry, I am kind of panicking now. Maybe I should
just call someone.

Just use some steps, open the trapdoor and stick your
head inside with the most powerful flashlight you have.
You may get some clues right away. If you feel comfortable
climbing up inside the attic, proceed carefully. If not,
you'll need to get some help.

Be sure to get reputable help -- there are tons of scam
artists waiting to rip you off. If you have a friend or
relative that's willing to rescue a damsel in distress,
so much the better.

Chances are it is a dead bird, rodent or other animal.
Removal of the corpse should resolve the problem quickly.
Also look for signs of wetness -- leaking roof or even
water pipe since mold, rot etc. could be causing the
smell (although I think that's less likely).

Replacing the insulation should not be necessary unless
you have a leak and rampant mold. But even if that was
the case, your first priority will be fixing the leak.

| Gary Player. |

http://www.malch.com/ Shpx gur PQN. |