Posted to alt.home.repair

Default painting vinyl

Has anyone been installing and painting exterior vinyl
products(molding, sashes, etc.) long enough to know about the
durability of the finishes. Exterior latexes and solid stains look
great when the job is finished, but what about 5+ years later?

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
ups.com...
Has anyone been installing and painting exterior vinyl
products(molding, sashes, etc.) long enough to know about the
durability of the finishes. Exterior latexes and solid stains look
great when the job is finished, but what about 5+ years later?

I did some trim about 8+ years ago and it still looks very good. I had to
repaint some wood done with the same paint that did not hold up as well.

Posted to alt.home.repair

latex, solid stains on vinyl.................never!

use acrylic paint only
should be sprayed on, not brushed or rolled
and yes it is still paint
so it should have a fresh coat every 3 to 5 years.
kinda defeats the purpose of having vinyl.......don't you think?

wrote in message
ups.com...
| Has anyone been installing and painting exterior vinyl
| products(molding, sashes, etc.) long enough to know about the
| durability of the finishes. Exterior latexes and solid stains look
| great when the job is finished, but what about 5+ years later?

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
ups.com...
Has anyone been installing and painting exterior vinyl
products(molding, sashes, etc.) long enough to know about the
durability of the finishes. Exterior latexes and solid stains look
great when the job is finished, but what about 5+ years later?

Wandering down the paint aisle at Home Despot last week, I noticed a bunch
of spray paints whose labels said "For Plastic". Might've been from
Rustoleum. Might be worth a look.

Posted to alt.home.repair

As far as I know paint on vinyl last a very long time.

My brother painted his blue vinyl house white 19 years ago and to this
day it still looks great.

It looks like white vinyl siding.

The trick is to wash it first and use 100% acrylic paint.