Terry Smith

Default Vinyl Flooring Over Old Vinyl Backer

I pulled up vinyl flooring in a bathroom over an area about 4' by 8'.
The top layer came off, but left a uniform backing layer firmly stuck to
the floor. Can I put adhesive on this surface and apply a new vinyl
flooring over it? A guy at Lowes said he didn't think it would work.
He suggested I buy a chemical that soaks through the backer and softens
the adhesive. I used that over hardwood in another area and the can
said not to use it on particle board (it would probably dissolve the
wood's adhesive). Particle board is the underlayment in the bathroom.
In fact that is the reason I am replacing the vinyl flooring - the
particle board fell apart under the stool.
I had planned on removing the particle board, but it runs under a built
in place vanity, so I am only going to take up a piece of the particle
board under and around the stool - where is turned to nasty sawdust. My
replacement underlayment is almost a perfect thickness match with the
existing particle board/vinyl backer combination so I really need this
to work. Has anyone done this? If so, how did it work?

Chuck

On Tue, 07 Sep 2004 23:20:13 GMT, Terry Smith
wrote:

[...]

I would rethink the vanity. It SHOULD be easy to remove if it was a
prefab vanity like they sell at Lowes or HD... This way you'd replace
all floor and be at same level, getting rid of particle board
replacing with plywood.
Removing and reinstalling vanity should be just disconnecting water
lines and drain, and removing 2 or 4 screws securing it to the wall.
(plus pulling any molding) MUCH neater job, and more apt to remove ALL
of bad flooring.. I wouldn't want damp, damaged particle board left in
floor....
Chuck